Desktop speakers with wide-range driver

Both of which suggest that I'd like decent rounding or chamfering.
+1

If you've ever seen how smoke can make elaborate formations in still air, it seems that mathematical approximations would be a tall order.

Trying to analyse physics of air flowing around a corner, I could imagine all kinds of weird stuff going on. Even if we assume some kind of well-behaved laminar flow, where the air is self-lubricating and rolls smoothly around corners, it's got mass and momentum. And it's got 2 acceleration peaks for every 1 cycle of a wave... Whatever that means.

Thanks Kev06,
Yeah it was hard to justify building this because I had just picked up the Sony Scss 5 pair for 120, and this single one-way speaker was costing $60 to make. But it was fun to do. It may become a bluetooth speker instead I can justify those a little easier. Having said that I've ordered the supplies for the second one already so we will see.

+1

If you've ever seen how smoke can make elaborate formations in still air, it seems that mathematical approximations would be a tall order.

Trying to analyse physics of air flowing around a corner, I could imagine all kinds of weird stuff going on. Even if we assume some kind of well-behaved laminar flow, where the air is self-lubricating and rolls smoothly around corners, it's got mass and momentum. And it's got 2 acceleration peaks for every 1 cycle of a wave... Whatever that means.
The air doesn’t travel around the corners, the sound wave does. Smoke will sit there and vibrate back and forth. You may get some diffraction rays but I bet they will be hard to see.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Olsen showed that the sphere is an ideal shape for speaker enclosures.

Olson showed that with the shapes he tried the sphere was best,. B&W did more research and ended up with this general shape:

BnW-midEnclosure.jpg

dave

Olsen showed that the sphere is an ideal shape for speaker enclosures.
To a degree, yes; this was already mentioned, in post #16..

But it is only true for the exterior of the enclosure, definitely not the interior. It also applies only to spheres that are sufficiently large in relation to the driver diameter, otherwise there can still be a somewhat sharp corner at the driver's edge. And as Dave mentioned, time has allowed further progress since Olson's work. There are other contenders worth considering too, such as a toroidal shaped baffle, which Olson didn't test as far as I know.

I intend to return to the sphere (or a B&W type version of it) for small, very nearfield listening. Possibly even as a WAW, with the woofer using small bandpass ports in the sphere to reduce impact on the shape. But it will be in the future, as for the moment I'm being diverted by larger speakers, and other methods of achieving point-source, 1/4-wavelength arrangements.