• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Designing an Interstage Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a humble advice, try to make a standard winding, with say, 3 P and 3 S,

It is better if you do 3P's and 4S's where you start and end with a S. The first and last S's will have half turns compared to the inner sections. In this way the f.e.m. will be preserved. Otherwise the f.e.m. will be distorted to some degree. This happens because the inner S section "sees" two P's instead an outer S section will only "see" one P (on one side only).
Of course you can do 4P's and 3S's if this comes better in a practical winding condition.

It is better if you do 3P's and 4S's where you start and end with a S. The first and last S's will have half turns compared to the inner sections. In this way the f.e.m. will be preserved. Otherwise the f.e.m. will be distorted to some degree. This happens because the inner S section "sees" two P's instead an outer S section will only "see" one P (on one side only).
Of course you can do 4P's and 3S's if this comes better in a practical winding condition.

Totally agree, I myself do 2 x (5 P + 4 S) for PP OPT.

Thanks for the observation, I had overlooked. :)

Hmmm.

How well would plumbers tape work? It is PTFE, and is available in various widths.

Yes can work, is Teflon, the only drawback is that it is too flexible.

Try this, finished the winding, wrap it generously with Teflon tape, above you put a layer of Mylar or paper, then when you make the next winding and the wire does not sink.

With a caliber, you can check the dimensions, to fit all the wire into the window.

Almost forgot, before using Teflon/Mylar/etc., place it in a microwave oven, to ensure that no scrap metal, if it make fireworks, then do not serves. :D

Last edited:
I think the purpose of the tape is more for reduction of inter-layer capacitance than as a dielectric.

Since I'm considering bi-filar winding, it probably matters very little other than providing mechanical insulation to prevent overlapping windings from creating pressure points that could result in breakdown and shorting of turns.

I think the purpose of the tape is more for reduction of inter-layer capacitance than as a dielectric.

Inter-layers acts as a dielectric and as an insulator, inter-windings acts as a dielectric and as an insulator, but the voltage between windings is greater than between layers, be in mind that secondary is at a potential near ground.

Since I'm considering bi-filar winding, it probably matters very little other than providing mechanical insulation to prevent overlapping windings from creating pressure points that could result in breakdown and shorting of turns.

If the Teflon used in plumbing is like a sponge, let's advice to the plumbers. :D

Try to make bifilar windings, in this case, each layer must do left to right (or vice versa) always in the same direction of rotation, so that between each end have the same voltage between layers, then the capacitance will decrease.
BTW. Be careful with the wiring in this scheme.

Too many turns. IMHO.
If the bandwidth not exceeding 10 kHz, reconsider interleaving. ;)

.I think for one you really need to relax your specs. Why 5xRp? 10Hz as low end goal is admireable, but is there really that much to gain in happiness? Better to aim for 20 or even 30Hz and get better wide band response IMHO.

That 5 X Rp calc comes from RF practice when doing broadband coupling xfmrs. I've done a lot of these, but only for high frequencies where getting the necessary inductance is easily accomplished with a single layer (bifilar, trifilar, multi-filar) winding on a toroidal core. Audio frequency ISTs bring in a whole bunch of extra considerations.

Anyway, hope you give it a try. I've just bought some left over amorphous cores for same idea, interstage trannies, but will use lower Rp tubes like 6922 and trioded 6W6s. I think you core size is plenty for this useage. As you know you need some air gap since it'll be SE, and that'll require even more turns to make the Henrys. Good luck.

Oh, what size wire are you using?

Take a look at TV vertical deflection triodes. These types have nice, low Rp's, and some also come in dual designs incorporating a higher gain, small signal triode. These being designed for use as combination plate coupled multivibrators/deflection finals.

poplin, winding in the same direction is what I suspected as q=CV^2.

if all turns were wound in the same directions, the voltage difference between windings in one layer over the next remains constant across the layer.

When wound l-r then r-l, the winding at the right end of the first layer is at the same voltage (V) as the the first winding in the second layer. However, the first winding in the second layer is at 2V referenced to the first winding in the first layer.

Miles, thanks.

poplin, winding in the same direction is what I suspected as q=CV^2.

No, always capacitance is given by

C = q/V ==> q = CV

if all turns were wound in the same directions, the voltage difference between windings in one layer over the next remains constant across the layer.

When wound l-r then r-l, the winding at the right end of the first layer is at the same voltage (V) as the the first winding in the second layer. However, the first winding in the second layer is at 2V referenced to the first winding in the first layer.

Considering what you mean by "same direction", this is correct.

If you are determined to do bifilar windings, note that between both wires will have almost the plate voltage.

Take a look on the datasheet of the wire for voltage breakdown.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.