• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Designing an Interstage Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After doing more research I found this paper:

http://www.intalek.com/Index/Projects/Research/Permeability.PDF

Figure 1.17a on page 3 shows permeability peaking about at the middle of the BH curve slope.

I measured the current and voltage through the secondary with an adjustable resistor in series with the transformer. I adjusted the resistor to have a voltage drop equal to the voltage drop across the transformer, and used this to calculate the inductance.

The peak inductance should coincide with the peak permeability. No?

If so, then the peak permeability occurs with an input voltage of 11.3V with a current of 78mA for an inductance of 0.477H.

From this and the number of turns I can calculate Mu.

Is this the proper point at which to calculate Mu? Or does this only tell me the peak flux density at saturation?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
What's the window area? As defined by D x F in the attached image.

It so happens that I've become interested in winding my own inductors too, but won't start with an interstage transformer. Will probably do filter chokes first. We could exchange notes if you'd like.

Attachments

• niei.gif
    niei.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 754

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
These are the formulas I found for the design of an inductor with DC, and using these the relative permeability is not needed.

N = (L*Ipk*10^4)/(Ac*Bm)

where
N = the number of turns
L = desired inductance
Ipk = peak current = Idc + Iac/2
Ac = effective core area
Bm = desired max flux density, usually 1.2T

Assuming Ac = 5.68 cm^2, Idc = 10mA, Iac = 4mA, L = 44H, and Bm = 1.2T, gives

N = 774 turns.

Next would be to evaluate the max wire size that would fit so many turns in your winding area, or window area Wa.

The wire are in cm^2 is given by

Aw <= Ku Wa / N

Ku = window utilization factor (constant), which for laminates like you have is 0.48.

Hence my question for your core Wa.

Next, calculate the gap length, in cm:

lg = (0.4*pi*N*N*Ac*0.00000001)/L

In your case lg = 0.001198 cm, which is equivalent to just butting the ends together with not paper between them, roughly. One sheet of fish paper is about 7 mils, which is about 0.01778 cm.

We should probably take into account the fringing flux

Frf = 1+(lg/SQRT(Ac))*LN(2*D/lg)

where D is the window height as seen in the image I attached previously.

Knowing F you can recalculate the number of turns:

N' = =SQRT((lg*L)/(0.4*pi*Ac*Frf*0.00000001))

There's more, I'm working on a spreadsheet too.

I've been interested in winding transformers for many years but never seemed to have the time to study it sufficiently to understand what I'm doing.

ikoflexer, window measurements are 1.1cm X 3.33cm for an area of 3.663 sq-cm

The calculations for the 1:1 interstage transformer should be very much like those for an inductor.

If Bi-Filar wound, construction is the same, except two wires are feed at the same time.

Eric, this is an ope forum so every one is welcome to participate or just follow along as they wish.

Tony, bi-filar does increase coupling capacitance, apparently this is not always bad.

sjs, thanks for the links.

I still wish to measure the characteristics of these cores so I can use those values in my calculations. So if anyone can give me some guidance I would appreciate it.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
This is what I get for your core. This calculates one winding, assuming it occupies half the total winding area. It also assumes standard industry silicon steel core and a target working Bmax of 1.2 tesla. The method used is called the area product method (temperature rise) from the book Transformer and inductor design handbook by Col. Wm. T. McLyman.

Attachments

• itcalc1.PNG
    itcalc1.PNG
    59.1 KB · Views: 763

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Check chapter 5 of RDH4

http://www.paleoelectronics.com/RDH4/CHAPTR05.PDF

Figure 5.20 shows how the effective permeability changes for various DC bias, for one type of core. The problem is that for most cores I have I won't have this data. If you indeed want to measure the permeability of your core, it'd be better to do it with DC bias applied.

I personally will avoid formulas using permeability because I don't intend to measure it. For me it's good enough to assume a safe Bmax somewhere between 1.0 and 1.2 tesla.

Attachments

• dcpermeability.PNG
    dcpermeability.PNG
    205 KB · Views: 654
These are the formulas I found for the design of an inductor with DC, and using these the relative permeability is not needed.

N = (L*Ipk*10^4)/(Ac*Bm)

where
N = the number of turns
L = desired inductance
Ipk = peak current = Idc + Iac/2
Ac = effective core area
Bm = desired max flux density, usually 1.2T

This is inconsistent with Electromagnetism, there is no magnetic field for the term Iac/2.

I will use cgs units, because Maxwell's equations are written differently in different systems of units.

The magnetic field B(DC) only depends on current i(DC)

B(DC) = 4 π μ N i(DC) / (9 l)

The magnetic field B(AC) only depends on voltage U(AC)

B(AC) = U(AC) x 10^8 / (√2 π f S N)

Only by making the assumption

B = B(AC) = B(DC) = Bt/2

We can write

N = L x 10^8 i(DC) / (S B)

Also, μ is implicit

L = 4 π μ S N^2 / (9 l x 10^8)

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
This is inconsistent with Electromagnetism, there is no magnetic field for the term Iac/2.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There is DC current through the primary. This DC current flow will induce flux in the core. In the same time there is an AC current component, which, if we assume a sin wave shape, will vary between Idc - Iac/2 and Idc + Iac/2. The AC current variation produces a change in the flux. The peak current Ipk = Idc + Iac/2 will change the flux towards saturation of the material.

Surely you don't claim that AC current in the wire does not have an effect on induction.

See the attached image for an illustration. My Iac is the delta(I) in the image.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 539
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There is DC current through the primary. This DC current flow will induce flux in the core. In the same time there is an AC current component, which, if we assume a sin wave shape, will vary between Idc - Iac/2 and Idc + Iac/2. The AC current variation produces a change in the flux. The peak current Ipk = Idc + Iac/2 will change the flux towards saturation of the material.

Surely you don't claim that AC current in the wire does not have an effect on induction.

The AC current variation produces nothing, but losses in the wire.

Think a little, in a transformer, if you draw a different current, the magnetic field B(AC) remains almost unchanged, even more, major core losses occur when there is no load, so U(AC) reach a maximum, so B(AC) reach a maximum.

The confusion is that a voltage U(AC) is associated with a current I(AC), which is incorrect.

Ohm's law is in the collective unconscious, but imagine a transformer with a winding ideal conductor R = 0 ==> U = 0 ???

See the attached image for an illustration. My Iac is the delta(I) in the image.

Here we go again, lets consider Maxwell's equations

∇ . D = 4 π ρ (1)

∇ . B = 0 (2)

∇ x E + (1/c) ∂ B / ∂ t = 0 (3)

∇ x H – (1/c) ∂ D / ∂ t = (4 π/c) J (4)

And constitutive relations

D = ε E (5)

B = μ H (6)

If the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, ε and μ are constants.

In ferromagnetic materials

B = f(H)

The curve B vs H is called the magnetic hysteresis curve.

The area within the magnetic hysteresis curve is proportional to the energy dissipated as heat in the irreversible process of magnetization and demagnetization.

From eq.(4) it follows that

B(DC) = 4 π μ N i(DC) / (9 l) (7)

Therefore, equation (5-7) in the attachment is correct.

From eq.(3)

B(AC) = U(AC) x 10^8 / (√2 π f S N) (8)

Therefore, equation (5-8) in the attachment is a joke, and eq.(5-9) is clearly incorrect.

Fig.(5-1) in the attachment is also incorrect, the author confuses ∆H with ∆Iac, and/or Iac with ∆Idc.

This can be clearly seen if we consider a transformer with a given nucleus which corresponds to it a certain magnetic hysteresis curve.
If, eg. apply a voltage U(AC) in the primary, we have a magnetic field given by (8), regardless of the current i(AC).
Even more, as has been mentioned, is a consequence of Maxwell's equations, that the greater area inside the magnetic hysteresis curve occurs when there is no load, so i(AC) reach a minimum, in open contradiction with fig.(5-1)

This is also a fact observable and measurable.
Take a power transformer and do the experiment, and do not believe everything the books say. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
so poppilin if you have the spreadsheets, can you make the corrections and post them here please.....i take it that you want to help your fellow diy'ers eh...:D

Hi Tony
Nice to see you around here !

Look, I do what I can, I don't know what is a spreadsheet. :eek:

I always work with my old calculator. :D

OT. btw, are you still selling tubes?

What are you talking about ? Here valves are scarce and expensive, I have just a couple of projects for.

Once, I was tempted to get rid of my ECC82s, do you remember ? :D

After the overwhelming success of my last preamp and two class A monoblocks, I don't sell nor drunk. :cool:

BTW. All is here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/181072-designing-transformers-j-c-maxwell.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.