Demetris, Milevas...and others too...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry -missed it. OK, Dimitri with B20s? See attached FR. Now, normally I wouldn't advise building something like this for obvious reasons -it's going to be overpowering in the LF. However, one of MathCad's limitations is that it can't properly account for the vent aspect ratio, which in the case of the Monolith cabinets (mental memo: must design one for something with the 1:4:9 proportions of the 2001: A Space Odyssey Monolith) is very high. You can expect some LF losses due to this, which should, unless I'm very much mistaken, bring it near flat. You can tune them anyway by adding some reticulated foam in the vent to make a quasi-aperiodic cabinet, or at least a damped vent box.

As for what they'd sound like compared to the Half Changs, like I said elsewhere on a similar topic, its a bit like comparing hippos to rhinos. Same driver, completely different types of cabinet, in this case an ML-V / ML TQWT against a BVR. The latter will give a larger scale presentation as it's coupled to a lot more air. The former should have the classic WB sound, which is known for having similar traits to a bipole, and work nicely up against a wall too, which is what they're designed for.

Attachments

• dimitri with b20.gif
    dimitri with b20.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 644
Thanks for the information Scott! I really appreciate you and everyone else's patience in trying to find the enclosure that suits my needs, a little extra LF won't bother me much as I love bass! I'm sure I can cure it with a little more stuffing if it is too much though...

Cheers!
Serg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
must design one for something with the 1:4:9 proportions of the 2001: A Space Odyssey

You did... or close anyway. Remember this one (i have quite a few of Scott's creations still stashed in my eMail)

(damn you Scott :) ... i spent all evening having fun drawing these instead of working)

We need to figure an XO. 4x FE127 + FT17

I think it would like a rather large room.

dave

Scott's Odessey. Plans going out to QC.

Piano black. Black cones. Tarnished black EnABL.

Attachments

• odessey3d.gif
    odessey3d.gif
    81 KB · Views: 697
Scott,

Sounds great, but as I suspected, there's no place I could possibly put something like that in my house anyway. Not like I need another project either :).

This is approaching Maggie proportions :). Anchoring it to the floor for good coupling sounds like it's going to be pretty important.

-- Jim

Scottmoose said:
Roughly 48in x 21in x 5.5in (HxWxD). 4 FE127E drivers, run bipole, two on the front, two on the rear baffle, with an FT17 supertweeter crossed in. We haven't decided on the XO point yet.

circa 14 - 16K ?

How about FE126 with appropriate series R?

From my brief audition interuptus with Brynn last weekend (hopefully to be consummated this weekend, along with first session with the Bamboo Fonkens), once you control some of the aggressive upper midrange of the 126 with EnABL and other majikul tweaks, there is certainly an extra degree of dynamic "jump" over the FE127.

With 4 of them (126) in one box, I'd imagine that the X-max limitations that some worry about would be substantially mitigated - and for folks with a Decware Zen amp, the 2ohm load with drivers wired in parallel could be "velly ineresting"

just a thought

jrebman said:
Scott,

Sounds great, but as I suspected, there's no place I could possibly put something like that in my house anyway. Not like I need another project either :).

This is approaching Maggie proportions :). Anchoring it to the floor for good coupling sounds like it's going to be pretty important.

-- Jim

Trust me Jim, that isn't big. You haven't seen the 'large' pair I'm thinking about yet. ;)

chrisb said:

circa 14 - 16K ?

How about FE126 with appropriate series R?

From my brief audition interuptus with Brynn last weekend (hopefully to be consummated this weekend, along with first session with the Bamboo Fonkens), once you control some of the aggressive upper midrange of the 126 with EnABL and other majikul tweaks, there is certainly an extra degree of dynamic "jump" over the FE127.

With 4 of them (126) in one box, I'd imagine that the X-max limitations that some worry about would be substantially mitigated - and for folks with a Decware Zen amp, the 2ohm load with drivers wired in parallel could be "velly ineresting"

just a thought

Good idea. 5ohms series resistance does it for the 126 and there aren't any Xmax issues to worry about in the nearfield with four of them, providing insane SPLs aren't needed.

BTW -forgot to mention, the drivers for the sim are assumed as being in two pairs, each pair wired in series, then the two pairs paralled.

With the XO, I reckon we can be fairly flexible. We should be able to keep it clear & out of the telephone band, so it's really selecting the point at which the output from the drivers starts to comb.

Attachments

• odyssey with 126 5ohms.gif
    odyssey with 126 5ohms.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 590
A Monolith is with us

Thought you guys might fancy a sneak preview of this -I sent the preliminary data to Dave earlier for QC & assessment. This is for dedicated 2001: A Space Odyssey fans. Or those who like both the aesthetic & bass.

It's a 6ft tall MLTL with perfect 1:4:9 proportions. Initial concept uses two 8in Pioneer drivers, plus tweeter / supertweeter with a variety of possible configurations, and will give solid performance down into the 20Hz regions. Upgrades to Fostex and / or hemp drivers should be possible with minor modifications. Polished satin black finish is prefered, though if you're able to make it out of clear perspex or glass, that would be fine too.

Attachments

• monolith.png
    monolith.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 650
Greatly interesting design. Where can I see plans of Demetris and Mileva?

And one more questions. This cabinets work good only against a wall, right?
I am looking for speakers design for working in middle of the room too. I have Needles with FRS8, and looking for something tube friendly now. Any ideas?

Zigis.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zigis said:
Where can I see plans of Demetris and Mileva?

The box plan library (Fostex section) on the p10-hifi site (URL below)

This cabinets work good only against a wall, right?
I am looking for speakers design for working in middle of the room too. I have Needles with FRS8, and looking for something tube friendly now. Any ideas?

They were designed to be able to not have to worry about baffle step by placing in close proximity to a wall... they will work fine out from the wall, but you may need some BSC (room dependent)

dave

planet10 said:

The box plan library (Fostex section) on the p10-hifi site (URL below)

They were designed to be able to not have to worry about baffle step by placing in close proximity to a wall... they will work fine out from the wall, but you may need some BSC (room dependent)

dave

or if you have adequate rear and sidewall spacing, bipole them - wired in series for a tube amp with 16ohm tap

I find it, thanks Dave, I like it really.

I am thinking about bipole (Metronome) before, but 4 Fostex is too much for me at the moment.

I wonder, is it good idea to make Mileva's front panel from 2 cm spruce wood for better looking ? Or spruce can start sing her own song ?

Zigis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.