Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Not trying to read two things from one drive.
Daphile is loaded into memory and, once operating, doesn't need to read, as I understand it.
There's probably a few other good reasons. I suppose one drive is enough.

Data traveling on different buses? Sata vs USB?
Since the default installation is to one drive, I doubt Kimmo would have opted for the worst solution.

Even if they are in seperate(sic) partitions on one drive, if the OS crashes, will daphile let you keep the library or will it swipe the whole drive? I'm not sure.
If the disk crashes, as in whole disk, then possibly all is lost, unless the data is retrievably with disc recovery software. That is why all of my music is on a NAS with built-in redundancy. Got to love a NAS.

It's more organized? Each doing a dedicated job?
Without wishing to impugn the state of your mind, this sounds more like OCD or clutching at straws. :)

Last edited:
Daphile (a derivative of Logitech Media Server) is a software consisting mostly of PERL & Lua scripts + database.
Such software only loaded in tiny pcs only when needed.

The perl (and lua) interpreter is loaded into memory. The interpreter loads the scripts into memory - and keeps them there as long as the process is running. So once they have been used at least once, they stay in memory (as long as there is enough memory).

I run a lot of my smaller linux boxes with read-only file systems and keep everything in memory.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Daphile (a derivative of Logitech Media Server) is a software consisting mostly of PERL & Lua scripts + database.
Such software only loaded in tiny pcs only when needed.

Loads where in tiny pcs? From ram to disk or from disk to ram?

Either way, small or not, it read off disk.

Also, in the setup you can see that logs are written to disk. /var is on disk or is it in ram?

Julf you haven't backup anything, you just ask others to do it. Where were you when the original question was asked?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-14-09-06-59.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-14-09-06-59.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 269
Either way, small or not, it read off disk.

Yes. Once.

Also, in the setup you can see that logs are written to disk. /var is on disk or is it in ram?

You tell me. I usually configure it to be in RAM.

Julf you haven't backup anything, you just ask others to do it.

I wasn't the first one to make a claim. What part do you want me to back up? But how about backing up your claims first...

Where were you when the original question was asked?

In the kitchen making lunch.

And before we go any further arguing about the physical location of /var (it can be on disk, or in RAM), let me point out that it really doesn't make any difference from the point of the original question. The logging traffic is so small that it doesn't matter if it is on a separate device or not.

Great now you chime in. You could have said that to begin with instead of wasting everyone's time?

Actually, the wasting of time started from your claim:

It's better to let the is and data be on separate drives.

We seem to agree that it doesn't actually matter, and there is no benefit from separate (physical) drives.

Your a piece of work.
I know English probably isn't your first language for you either, but if you are going to resort to childish ad hominem arguments, it would help if you got your grammar right. How to Use You're and Your

Doesn't matter. It does. So backed up what I said.
If it does it once it does it a hundred times.
Not quite sure what you think matters or doesn't matter, but I think we have shown that your initial statement was false. And, by the way, one is not the same as a hundred except for rather large values of one.

Well, I installed Daphile from a couple of weeks and I can only say I am VERY pleased.
After making some tests with USB sticks (successful at the end) I have settled for a used thin Client Fuji Futro 550 and its internal 1 GB flash cartridge ( I had not bigger ones at hand). Was easy for me to just partition and format the two empty partitions with the recommended names and the installation from the live USB was a cake. Giving 750 MB for the Boot and 250MB for the Data seems enough. Of course in the data I keep only the playlists, my Flacs are coming from an external 1 TB USB drive. Standard settings for the sound were OK.
Note that a CD reader was never involved in the process (I do not have a working one at the moment). The Live USB was made with the Linux command dd.
Planning to hang it on a NAS or to get a bigger SS drive, so everything will be dead silent. The Futro is already fanless, so only that tiny Toshiba USB drive has moving parts . Not that I can really hear it, the hum of my vintage Sony receiver is more noticeable.

All in all, great, many THANKS to the creators and mantainers of this juwel piece of SW!!

BTW I am using it headless, an while the web interface is OK, I did not find yet a perfect app for my family's android phones. I tried the original Squeezebox but it is too old for the newest phones and hangs sometimes, and Squeezer, but I cannot make playlists on them (at least does not seem to exist an intuitive way do do it). any suggestions?