Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi Kipeta,

Thanks for the nice software! Nice, relaxed and detailed sound.

I'm able to connect to my daphile-machine using my ipad, though i failed to connect using my the browser on my android-phone (HTC one X). Both http://daphile and http://daphile.local (also with trailing dot) cannot be resolved. Any suggestions?

Greetings,
Telrab

Android does not support mDNS. You could try to enable local DNS on your router or you just have to use IP address on Android.

New release on February 14th 2014

CHANGES:
  • Kernel version reverted to 3.12.5-rt7 (some HW platforms have boot problem with 3.12 RT patches rt9-rt15)
  • More improvements to audio device initialization
  • Stability fixes for some HW (disable C states > 1)
  • Minor modifications and fixes to web UI (incl. battery indicator)
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
They are two different player programs. SqueezePlay is older code, SqueezeLite is a newer player.

I had assumed they were two different players, however I am wondering more about the advantages/disadvantages of each. For example, does one provide better sound quality than the other? More/less file format/codec support?

With software, "newer" does not necessarily equate to "better". Any opinions on which is "better"?

I had assumed they were two different players, however I am wondering more about the advantages/disadvantages of each. For example, does one provide better sound quality than the other? More/less file format/codec support?

With software, "newer" does not necessarily equate to "better". Any opinions on which is "better"?

Both are bit perfect. If I remember correctly, squeezeplay is limited to 44.1/16, while squeezelite can do hi-res formats.

Both are bit perfect. If I remember correctly, squeezeplay is limited to 44.1/16, while squeezelite can do hi-res formats.

Not quite right, you were probably remembering squeezeslave (not used in Daphile) that's limited to 44.1kHz. SqueezePlay (patched up to 384kHz) supports high resolution as well as Squeezelite. SqueezePlay and Squeezelite should not have any difference on audio quality except that Squeezelite handles DSD-over-PCM a little bit better as it fills the pause gaps with DSD silence rather than PCM silence like SqueezePlay does.

Please compare the two players and give me feedback about possible differences. I'm planning to migrate eventually to Squeezelite as the default player (and probably even drop the SqueezePlay completely).

Last edited:
Not quite right, you were probably remembering squeezeslave (not used in Daphile) that's limited to 44.1kHz. SqueezePlay (patched up to 384kHz) supports high resolution as well as Squeezelite. SqueezePlay and Squeezelite should not have any difference on audio quality except that Squeezelite handles DSD-over-PCM a little bit better as it fills the pause gaps with DSD silence rather than PCM silence like SqueezePlay does.

Please compare the two players and give me feedback about possible differences. I'm planning to migrate eventually to Squeezelite as the default player (and probably even drop the SqueezePlay completely).

Please don't, to me Squeezeplay seems to play a tad better.
Possibly a bit more musical, I switched between the two a few times and I always came back to Squeezeplay.

BTW, thanks for the great job you've done

I've barely managed to get Daphile working. Have had problems with right USB flash drives and when I managed to get that working, Daphile did not boot if external HDD was connected to PC while booting. But ok, that's solved and it is working.

I was wondering if somebody is using Daphile with 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM (I have Igel 5/4 Thin Client)? What's your experience with it's performance? And second, I saw that a few guys have MPD installed to, so can they summarize MPD vs Daphile regarding SQ?

P.S. Controlling Daphile with Orange Squeeze is great. Looks avesome.