Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

i'm trying to get this working on a Macmini (yes i know its over kill but wanted something sexy)
trying the USB boot, the it never pass the boot menu just stays there.
The Macs do not have BIOS, they use EFI only. Your USB stick would need to be prepared accordingly to boot on any Mac as well as on some recent PC hardware, mostly laptops, which no longer support "legacy mode" (that is, the good old BIOS).

Bug fix release available

Changes:
  • Fixed: Previous version "Saving Settings" problem in some situations
  • Fixed: MMC/SD (mmcblk) booting and installation
  • Fixed: CIFS mounting in case "sec=ntlmssp" option required
  • Support added for HFS+ (read-only) and Macintosh partition map
  • Minor level kernel upgrade (improves kexec restart reliability)

OK back to tinkering, I am thinking of picking up a intel NUC platform to run this on. Will Daphile support the intel wireless card? What is the best way to transfer daphile onto a internal hard drive and make it bootable? My current unit boots off the USB memory and reads the internal drive for music. This does make upgrading the os without disrupting content easier but adds extra complexity. Also it might be nice to output some kind of grafics (track info artist bio ect.) to the video out as the unit probably will be sitting next to a tv in a typical entertainment setup.

Bill

Last edited:
New release on January 30th 2014

Bug fixes:
  • CIFS "sec=ntlsssp" case should finally work
  • Some audio device initialization failure cases
  • Media server start-up failure case
  • Occasional disappearance of network drives
Other changes:
  • Power down monitor 1min after network connection
  • File system clean up – smaller ISO files
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Congratulations Kipeta, for your software.

I finally find the time to test your very promising software, but unfortunately the sound quality was not as expected (lifeless and muddy), I am using a Hiface2 interface on a netbook with 2Gb of ram.

Any ideas?

Difficult to say. Have you tested some other software (to which you are comparing to) with exactly the same hardware setup?

I am comparing to win7 with Jriver, APlinux with Deadbeef, with exactly the same hardware.

All my files are stored into an external hd.

Maybe i should try with different settings for the Hiface 2.

Could you send me the output from address http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi of your Daphile PC. Please use the contact form on Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and we could continue with email exchange.

I really don't think there should be any sound quality difference. But it could be possible that the device is somehow initialized wrong. What kind of settings does it have?

Could you send me the output from address http://daphile/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi of your Daphile PC. Please use the contact form on Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and we could continue with email exchange.

I really don't think there should be any sound quality difference. But it could be possible that the device is somehow initialized wrong. What kind of settings does it have?

Thanks Kipeta, i will reload daphile and send you the file as soon as i find some time.

Hi Kipeta.

Congratulations on your audio software.

I have been using your main competitor's linux package for about 12 months, and have been very satisfied with it. It was a great improvement over running LMS on windows. The clarity and separation of vocals and instruments was a noticeable improvement over windows.

So, I didn't expect a great improvement with Daphile. Boy, was I wrong! Daphile has me hearing lyrics I have never been able to pick out before, and the separation and clarity of instruments is outstanding. Well done!

One request that would make the system complete for me.

I have in the past used the SrvrPowerCtrl plugin in LMS to amongst other things suspend the server using iPeng. I understand that SrvrPowerCtrl is unlikely to work on Daphile because it requires 'su' access and Daphile is locked down.

So - would it be possible to add a 'Suspend' button next to the 'Shutdown' and 'Restart' buttons on the web interface? I can then add a shortcut on my iPad Homescreen to the web page and - 'voila' - I'll be able to suspend Daphile from my iPad!

Thanks again for your development efforts. They are really making a positive contribution to quality listening. Cheers.

The öatest version run rock stable and sound awesome (as the versions before). i use daphile with an Aqvox and an XMOS Dac.
My Mainbord has also an HDMI out (AMD E350), but daphile can only output max. 48 khz over it. Maybe it is possible to use the HDMI Ports with full sample rate in the future.

Also a Import/Export feature to copy Files from or to Usb Sticks or SD Cards would be nice.

A Burn to disc (CD Audio Format) would be fantastic (to burn CDs for my Car).

Cheers

oliver

Hello again Kipeta.

In addition to my request in post #333 above for a "Suspend" button, I have one other request.

I read in one of your earlier posts somewhere that you may be planning to include a backup option in Daphile. May I cast my vote for you to include as soon as possible a backup option - and one that can be automatically run on a schedule. While I regularly backup I am keen to do so automatically with Daphile.

Best Regards, Rob.

Hi, I've just installed the last version on a new seutp... The only problem I noticed is that my library, mounted from a Unraid server, is not "stable"... I mean, every time I do a re-scan, a different number of files is found. Sometimes more, sometimes less... And I also noticed that I really missed some files compared to my MPD setup. Could someone help me?

Regards

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi Kipeta,

I am trying Daphile for the first time today. I really like it so far. Sound quality is at least as good as my default setup (Linux Mint + Clementine -->ALSA hardware output).

I have one question; Could you please elaborate on the difference(s) between "SqueezePlay" and "SqueezeLite" in the "Player" setting? I have done some googling and not found much info...