Dan d'Agostino MOMENTUM: Sonic Character like pure ClassA/SE despite low Idle Power ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Three Events this Month with Dan D'Agositno's Momentum

Keep in mind the follow events from this month with Dan D'Agositno (complete overview go to post #32)

HiFi Centre
November 3, 5 – 9 p.m.
RSVP 604 .688 . 5502
578 Seymour Street, Vancouver BC V6B 3J5 Canada
http://www.hificentre.com/Contact-Us.aspx

Music Systems
November 11, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
RSVP 786.331.9012
2854 NW 79th Ave, Doral FL 33122
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150242004220881

HiFi House
November 16, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
RSVP 302 .655 . 4780
2304 Concord Pike, Wilmington DE 19803
http://www.hifihouse.com/

Last edited:
I met with Dan when he was here a few weeks ago my apologies for having no pics nor posting about it here, i had forgotten...:(

The amp is gorgeous and not as small as pics would lead you to believe. I will not comment on the sound, the room and display setup was not optimal IMO and had issues, so i will refrain from discussing the sound, i would have to hear the amplifier in another environment or after the dealer has made the necessary changes to the room, we plan on going back, for another listen and for what it's worth , the issue i was hearing was not amp related IMO, but more room/ speaker /interactions.

Speakers were Wilson Sasha's , with Boulder electronics (CD/Pre-amp) , Dan in discussion had said , he was limited ( marketing)when at Krell and could not drift too far away from big heavy Class-a type amplifiers that had become krell's forte, this new co allows him a new start to build amplifiers with the changes and designs he always wanted to.

We did discuss the amplifier and he did give some details as to feedback ,et al , but i did not take notes and do not want to misquote the numbers i was given 4 weeks ago.

Sorry ...:(

"In the interview Dan talks about a low feedback design with only 8-10 dB overall feedback, but more around the output devices that need heavier feedback to perform well...sounds a bit like two split feedback loops."

From what I have read, Dan's Momentum amp does not have global feedback from the output to the input, but it does have (patented) nested feedback over the input stages plus (large amounts of) error correction feedback on the output stage.

The Momentum design goal appears to focus on isolating output noise from the high sensitivity diff input. To me, this is the most interesting discussion point.

1) The reverse currents from high inductance speaker voice coils can affect the sound if they are fed back to the high gain differential input stage.

2) All Krell amp schematics I have seen use MOSFETs for the first output driver stage, with the goal of isolating the speaker's reverse currents from the gain stages. I do not know if the Momentum design includes this voltage-to-current isolation. John Curl's amps also use a MOSFET output driver for this same isolation goal.

3) RFI noise, especially from digital Wi-Fi networks and in-home local networks, can get picked up on the speaker interconnect cables and fed back to the high gain differential input stage.

4) Nested feedback over the high frequency, low capacitance input stages is more accurate than global feedback that goes around the 24-pair output stage. Very little noise gets injected into the intput stage loops.

Bob Cordell and Doug Self favor designing stable circuits to which you add large amounts of global feedback.

Charles Hansen(Ayre) favors designing very simple but stable circuits with no global feedback.

The Momentum is Dan's statement of absolute Solid State audio truth.

Last edited:
Looking at pictures of the chassis design, I would say that it is very immune to any radiated RF and the only ingress would be through connectors, but one can apply very successful filtering by means of feed-through capacitors and inductor to attenuate and avoid RFI to get into the circuits.

I am not convinced about the statement that even split up negative feed-back loops eliminate noise ingress from the output stage, in fact it will enhance it, if the same noise is not present on the input of the differential stage.

This may just sales hype

Can any expert in output error correction circuits describe how to improve the basic circuit in the attached schematic for 12 pairs of 60Mhz Sanken output transistors? The Spice simulation shows 0.015% THD for 300 watts into an 8 ohm load.

What is the best output error correction circuit for 12 pairs of 60Mhz power transistors?

As a reference, a fully symmetrical design with global negative feedback using the same output transistors simulates at 0.00008% THD for 300 watts into 8 ohms.

Attachments

• ErrorCorrect_Test.jpg
    ErrorCorrect_Test.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 689
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.