damping coating substances for speakers' cones ?

Well, musical instruments evolved by ear not by measurement.
Ever dived into the science of church bells through the ages? Even famous physicist and Nobelprize winner Lord Rayleigh tried to calculate the spectrum and since the eighties FEM computer simulations made bells with major timbre possible. Until then every church bell had a minor timbre.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you add a coating to a bass driver cone in a speaker system, you will increase its moving mass, thereby changing one of its Thiel Small parameters, and that might possibly upset the driver-enclosure alignment and change the sound quality in an unintended way.

In practise you have to add A LOT of coating material to significantly impact T/S parameters. It can be useful. I have used it with some vintage 12” (Philips & Foster) to move the Fs down.

If a minimal amount is added, then the change in T/S are less than natural factory unit to unit variation. n>5000 drivers done to back that up.

dave

I've used a light coating of 'Rustoleum Leakseal', a flexible rubber coating, successfully on a couple of paper cone restorations.
In particular, a 4" mid came out sounding spectacular.
For aesthetics, I use leftover printer ink (from the craze years ago of re-filling cartridges) and a soft brush to get an even finish.