• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks. I used the same document earlier and now and now asio works KS not. I will try Wasapi than again that I always used before in Vista for example for Xmos lately.
I sent you an email yesterday or today morning (?), have you got it? It was about ordering a torx147 from Selectronic. I do not speak French and I was not sure about I must pay 26€ for postage or they have an cheaper option.

Thanks. I used the same document earlier and now and now asio works KS not. I will try Wasapi than again that I always used before in Vista for example for Xmos lately.
I sent you an email yesterday or today morning (?), have you got it? It was about ordering a torx147 from Selectronic. I do not speak French and I was not sure about I must pay 26€ for postage or they have an cheaper option.

The problem with KS could be Vista, I have tested only on XP and Windows 7.

Also if the datasheet of Amanero give this info: XP to Win8 32-64bit.

Could you test on another computer ?

Unfortunately not. I only have this laptop, on that I am using at work I have no admin right. Is there so as xp or win7 Live cd ?

There is a method to create a Windows 7 Live CD or USB but it is very complex add application or driver to this.

In any case if you have no problems with ASIO I suggest you to continue to use it.

ASIO get some system resources more than Kernel streaming but the sound is the same.

In professional field all devices are ASIO.

Perfect! so after new driver installation and ASIO driver installation there are still problems ?

- The problems are the same what I had written in my first posts #1777,#1779,#1780 except asio works(by it dsd too). This is a big difference of course. Maybe Vista but in the driver's readme there is Vista explicitly. You are right I should try in win7 or xp but I do not know where to get a machine yet.

- I have no connectors and box I only tried "coax in" and "rca out". The 48 khz spdif limit bothers me a little, that I could not buy a Torx147 more because I have a lots of Toslink device. So if quanghao had the connectors in stock (I need all the seven) I would ask him to sell them to me. I would ask also the smd parts what need for the #1586,#1620 repairs and the pic programmer. The connectors are important I would not wait the others.

- I have only tl072s in the IV - the opa627s not paired yet - but the sound is promising. It would be a heartache sending the dac back :)

There is a method to create a Windows 7 Live CD or USB but it is very complex add application or driver to this.

In any case if you have no problems with ASIO I suggest you to continue to use it.

ASIO get some system resources more than Kernel streaming but the sound is the same.

In professional field all devices are ASIO.

I remember it was complex I played with BartPE long ago - so there is no easier solutions

Hi Quanghao and Andrea,
Today I download and listened to my first DSD files. Excellent. However, I have a little problem. When the DAC is connected I hear a slight noise closer to the speakers.
I use balanced inputs and outputs.
The inputs of the two mono amps have a trasformer.
In the cable pin 1 of the male and female are connected to the cable screen.
The XLR inputs of the amps ( Neutrik ) have pin 1 connected to chassis ground at the entry point of the signal.

Hi Quanghao and Andrea,
Today I download and listened to my first DSD files. Excellent. However, I have a little problem. When the DAC is connected I hear a slight noise closer to the speakers.
I use balanced inputs and outputs.
The inputs of the two mono amps have a trasformer.
In the cable pin 1 of the male and female are connected to the cable screen.
The XLR inputs of the amps ( Neutrik ) have pin 1 connected to chassis ground at the entry point of the signal.

Do you ear this slght noise only after switch-on or always ?

Is this high frequency or lower ?

Hi Andrea,
Today I measured with Arta + EMU 1212m noise spectrum of the DAC ( not connected to the amp ). The noise is very low. Less than -130dB. There is only 50Hz (-116dB )and its harmonics due to the environment of measurement. The DAC is ok. I think there is some problem in amplifiers. In the coming day I will try to understand what is wrong and let you know.

please add your problem or correct the problem info

This is the current list:

1) smoothquark [WAIT NEW TEST WITH NEW PARTS]
problem: with USB input DSD plays fine but PCM is completely silent, right channel does not run on USB input but coax all ok
solution: Amanero, new PIC for controller and flat cable has been ship

2) judo [NOT SOLVED]
problem: USB input work only at 44KHz
solution: using ASIO driven all ok, still problem in KS and DS probably Windows Vista not compatible with Amonero driver, still to check.

3) Erlend Sæterdal [SOLVED]
problem: lcd does not work
solution: the lcd controller module has be replaced

4) masterkey [SOLVED] [waiting the confirm]
problem: no work with usb input but work good with coax and optical input
solution: masterley will receive a new DAC module

5) misterwolf , Halook [SOLVED]
problem: spdif does not work with some non standard sources
solution: eliminate the 75ohm and add a 1uF capacitor after the input transformer (cut the pcb jump).

6) MattMax - [tested ?]
probem: tweeters of my loudspeakers emit a hissing sound when the DAC is on mute
solution: see point 2, apply #1586 and add a caps to filter high freq. on DAC output

7) Erlend Sæterdal [ tested ?]
problem: More than 11 mv offset with OPA 1612
solution: have you tested different op-amp ? have you apply the mod. #1586 ?

8) bertchai [tested ?]
problem: using Mac 0.5s at the beginning of the song is missing/silent
solution: try the version with automute delay reduced, post #1724

9) Claudio52 [DAC OK - TEST IN PROGRESS ON AMP]
problem: noise on output
solution: DAC all ok on measurements, he are testing the amplifier

10) Some [SOLVED]
problem: Amanero USB module not recognized from PC
solution: the USB pins on pcb touch the DAC shield, so cut this

11) Some [SOLVED]
problem: lcd wrong characters
solution: change the flat cable or solder the wires

12) Many [SOLVED]
problem: firmware update
solution: the best method is to use the Pickit2 available on Ebay shop and Amazon, there are some cheaper clone

13) Many [SOLVED]
problem: little oscillation on power supply shunt
solution: follow post #1586 and #1626

please add your problem or correct the problem info

Erlend Sæterdal, Claudio52, MattMax, misterwolf, Halook, masterkey can I close the item ?

Last edited:
Hi quanghao,
May I ask you to send me the smd parts that I wrote about to Andrea below. In the shunts of the IV the 10 ohm resistors was replaced with 15 ohm only in three places send me a 15 ohm too, please. If you have them in stock I would like to buy from you the DAC's connectors and that cheap programmer. Many thanks!

- The problems are the same what I had written in my first posts #1777,#1779,#1780 except asio works(by it dsd too). This is a big difference of course. Maybe Vista but in the driver's readme there is Vista explicitly. You are right I should try in win7 or xp but I do not know where to get a machine yet.

- I have no connectors and box I only tried "coax in" and "rca out". The 48 khz spdif limit bothers me a little, that I could not buy a Torx147 more because I have a lots of Toslink device. So if quanghao had the connectors in stock (I need all the seven) I would ask him to sell them to me. I would ask also the smd parts what need for the #1586,#1620 repairs and the pic programmer. The connectors are important I would not wait the for others.

- I have only tl072s in the IV - the opa627s not paired yet - but the sound is promising. It would be a heartache sending the dac back :)

Seems you put in-correct name on the address, my name is Rachmanto :confused:

Despite the wrong name on the address, I received the packet yesterday. So I will start to build it tomorrow. Thanks to Quanghao.

Before I do anything stupid, please somebody confirm that the following are correct :

Use jumper as I want to power Amanero from USB for the start.

Update Amanero firmware as per the instruction here : ES9018 USB DAC - Hi-Resolution System  (is this the latest firmware version ?)

Later after everything is OK, remove jumper + remove Amanero regulator if I want to power Amanero from the DAC board.

My DAC is from the latest batch sent by Quanghao, so it should have mod to remove the shunt oscilation, right ?

Thanks in advance

Despite the wrong name on the address, I received the packet yesterday. So I will start to build it tomorrow. Thanks to Quanghao.

Before I do anything stupid, please somebody confirm that the following are correct :

Use jumper as I want to power Amanero from USB for the start.

Update Amanero firmware as per the instruction here : ES9018 USB DAC - Hi-Resolution System* (is this the latest firmware version ?)

your DAC, i make Latest firmware ( no need change )

Later after everything is OK, remove jumper + remove Amanero regulator if I want to power Amanero from the DAC board.

Yes

My DAC is from the latest batch sent by Quanghao, so it should have mod to remove the shunt oscilation, right ?

No mode all, Your DAC I have to fix all, you only make and run

Thanks

judo,
I have spoken with Amonero company about your problem with Windows Vista and KS (kernel streaming).

Windows Vista can lock the audio device if this is the default audio device and in this case it play only with DS.

So please make a new test with KS selecting before another default audio device in the Sound - Control Panel of Windows Vista.

Always in the Sound - Control Panel by inside Advanced tab deselect the option of the exclusive control by the applications.

Last edited:
judo,
I have spoken with Amonero company about your problem with Windows Vista and KS (kernel streaming).

Windows Vista can lock the audio device if this is the default audio device and in this case it play only with DS.

So please make a new test with KS selecting before another default audio device in the Sound - Control Panel of Windows Vista.

Always in the Sound - Control Panel by inside Advanced tab deselect the option of the exclusive control by the applications.

Thanks Andrea, I will try this, I will see that too what quanghao told in the previous message. It seemed to me in my dac that mod for the oscillaton problem was not done. Would you ask him what he had done and want to sell me connectors or not. No problem if not. He does not answer as usually and - my mistake (?) - I cannot understand why.

For sell

Hello Everybody,
I have some items to sell (see attached picture) + 3 x OPA627
Br
Jacky

Attachments

• P1000281.JPG
    P1000281.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 349
OP-AMP Output Stage note

The op-amp output stage has been design to have a good voltage amplification because the ES9018 with 10-20 ohm resistors as load give a very low output signal.

This output stage is used in Mark Levinson no. 380 and it is published on OPA627 datasheet like a suggested High Speed Instrumentation Amplifier.

If you remove the jumps on the output of the DAC module it is possible to use the full 1Vrms output of the ES19018 DAC.

In this case you need to reduce the op-amp voltage amplification near to zero removing the jumps on op-amp module.

But if we don't need a voltage amplification on op-amp module I suggest to eliminate the first op-amp and bypass it as show in my second image.

In this case we will keep only one op-amp on the signal path to create the un-balanced output.

Attachments

• DAC32_OP-AMP1.gif
    DAC32_OP-AMP1.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 347
  • DAC32_OP-AMP2.gif
    DAC32_OP-AMP2.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 344
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.