• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I received my DAC two weeks ago, but only now had the time to give it a look.
The power cord has a US plug and the transformer (model R-30, 25VA) say 115V.....
Before plugging the DAC in at 220V I guess I'd better ask if this is fine or if some mixup has occurred:confused:

May be you've already know about it...
You should be aware that Hot and Neutral are reversed for US & UK plugs. If you use a normal UK power cord, you may need to reverse the wires at the back of the EMI filter. Better clarify it with Quanghao.

Last edited:
Hi Palmito,
I have the LL1684 hooked up like in this schematic.
Attention: the pin layout is from the bottom view (where you can see the pins), not like in the LL1684 pdf where it is the component view (where you see the label).
Regards,
Danny
Thanks Danny_66. So post #866's diagram is correct for both channels, except the labeling of the transformer should say "bottom view (facing pins)"?

Thanks Danny_66. So post #866's diagram is correct for both channels, except the labeling of the transformer should say "bottom view (facing pins)"?

It turns out it doesn't matter, it would work correctly either way.
It took me a little while to figure this out, but if you check you should find the same thing. You need to flip it so the primaries stay on the same side.

Randy

Does anyone know if there is a confirmed working fix for the SP/DIF input not working with higher sampling rates yet? I've seen a number of posts on this topic, but I've not sure if this problem has actually been resolved yet or not.

The COAX input circuits largely follows ESS official implementation so in theory it should works. I believe TPA has a similar implementation too. Compared to others, Quanghao has removed a 0.1uF cap before the input of the pulse transfo and a 0.1uF cap in the comparator circuits (C36). I believe his goal is to minimize the usage of caps in signal path to increase sound fidelity.

I do not have SPDIF source to test but from the limited info I gathered, I may try the following non-destructive mods to test the COAX input before implement it on the board itself.

Attachments

• LMV7219 SPDIF Input ESS Quanghao.jpg
    LMV7219 SPDIF Input ESS Quanghao.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
There is no problem to use the spdif with high sampling rates.
With all due respect: Are you serious?

Then is it supposed to be my imagination that anything higher than 48kHz never, ever locks on SP/DIF, and that 96kHz over Toslink is just barely stable (cuts-out occasionally), and that 192kHz over Toslink is unusable?

I don't know why this problem is occurring here, but I can absolutely verify that all of these signals (which I am sending from my Oppo, via the same exact cables) are being decoded without any issues on a Teac DAC I have. But when I send these exact same signal to this unit, it simply fails to lock at all.

So I appreciate it when other people on the forum are trying to design a fix to a very serious issue which you guys seem to be in complete denial about.

Last edited:
@ Danny,

If I want to rewire mine to work on 110V, I guess I use only one set of the 110V primaries (red/yellow or blue/brown)? I have asked QuangHo for wiring diagram but have not received any response.

Hi NicMac,
Those R-30 transformers can be configured for 115vac or 230vac, they have dual primaries of 115vac, connected in series is for 230 vac.
I've connected the yellow-blue wire together for 230vac, the red and brown goes to the socket, see pictures.
Regards,
Danny

With all due respect: Are you serious?

Then is it supposed to be my imagination that anything higher than 48kHz never, ever locks on SP/DIF, and that 96kHz over Toslink is just barely stable (cuts-out occasionally), and that 192kHz over Toslink is unusable?

I don't know why this problem is occurring here, but I can absolutely verify that all of these signals (which I am sending from my Oppo, via the same exact cables) are being decoded without any issues on a Teac DAC I have. But when I send these exact same signal to this unit, it simply fails to lock at all.

So I appreciate it when other people on the forum are trying to design a fix to a very serious issue which you guys seem to be in complete denial about.

Are you using the DAC module inside a metal chassie ?

Have you got the DAC shield by Qhanghao ?

Are you using the filter on main power ?

Have you tested the spdif output with other DAC ?

Also I would like to know if other person have problem with spdif.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.