• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't be too concerned, so long as you are competent with a soldering iron. I'm betting that these bugs will be solved in short-order with all of the diy types who have purchased these kits. You should probably consider this DAC in its present form to be a beta design. And we are the beta testers. I'm sure that these issues will be solved soon, and that the fixes will be posted here.

For anyone who expects a 100% completely trouble-free product, you might want to wait for the next release when I think that it is reasonable to expect that most of these teething issues will have already been addressed.

Well that is pretty stupid to be a beta tester and it will cost around 1300 dollar to be that inclusive tax in Denmark. :eek:

For the moment, just the supplied op-amp stage, using only the cheaper of the two recommended op-amps. However I plan to try several other output stage topologies before I am finished.

My point was that that even the supplied op-amp output stage sounds different (and IMO noticeably better), if you simply switch the jumpers and run it in "voltage mode", as apposed to what is loosely being termed "current mode".

Thanks. I will try the OPAMP stage when I have replaced the faulty capacitors on my stage. I have no stage at the moment - voltage out directly from the DAC to the amplifier. Looking forward to compare it to the OPAMP stage.

Thanks. Would you mind to give some additional explanation? Based on your feedback I won't get optimal results in my case. I'm using a Rythmik plate amp for the subwoofer (A370PEQ) with 30 kOhm input impedance.
My main amps (2 Hypex Ncore monoblocks, balanced) have a higher input impedance. This is 104 kOhm.

What would be the best way to connect both the subwoofer and main amps in this case, without sacrificing audio quality?

Hi Andrea, don't want to bother you too much, but do you have a suggestion for the optimal way of connecting the amplifiers to the DAC in this case (see above). Input impedance of my subwoofer amp is lower than input impedance of main amps.
Thanks.

Attachments

• ES9018_DAC_sch_ver19low.gif
    ES9018_DAC_sch_ver19low.gif
    76 KB · Views: 385
Hi Andrea, don't want to bother you too much, but do you have a suggestion for the optimal way of connecting the amplifiers to the DAC in this case (see above). Input impedance of my subwoofer amp is lower than input impedance of main amps.
Thanks.

I do not consider myself an expert but... couldn't you just try to put a resistors in series for the low impedance amplifier. Like 47 kOhm or more. That would only work if the subwoofer amplifier has still enough headroom.

Hi MattMax & sipo75,
I do not consider myself an expert but... couldn't you just try to put a resistors in series for the low impedance amplifier. Like 47 kOhm or more. That would only work if the subwoofer amplifier has still enough headroom.
- I do not consider myself an expert but is there a sub crossover between the DAC output and the sub amp input ? ;)

Well that is pretty stupid to be a beta tester and it will cost around 1300 dollar to be that inclusive tax in Denmark. :eek:
How did it come-out to be that much money for you? Do you have some very high import duties in your country?

Unless I missed something, according to my calculations (including $170 for shipping) I have less than $900 into this for everything (so far).
$450 main Board
$60 op-amp boards
$90 Chassis
$20 transformer (this might be slightly off, I can't find the original number)
$60 Amero (with group discount)
$50 in other un-supplied parts (I chose the cheaper $2 a piece op-amps)
$170 shipping
= $900

Now that I add everything up, I must admit that this is a bit more than I had originally intended. But considering the design's flexibility, and very high-quality execution (on paper), that's still cheaper than most competitive units.

But the reason why I purchased this was because I specifically wanted a design which allowed one to easily experiment with various output stage topologies. No commercial products provide this option. I'm not really sure why somebody without any DIY intentions would have purchased what amounts to an untested kit.

To me its simply a foregone conclusion that anything this complex is going to have some bugs in the initial release. There's a reason why in the software industry we refer to this as being on the "bleeding edge" instead of the "leading edge". There is always some pain involved in being the very first adopters of any technologies which have been untested in the field.

FWIW: I have no affiliation with these either of the designers (other than being a customer like you guys). But I do have a lot of experience dealing with new technologies. And if you want for a brand-new design to be perfect right out of the box, then a DIY design is probably not the best choice for you.

I am reasonably confident that Quanghao and Audiodesign will get the initial bugs resolved given a little time. But they are a tiny operation which is probably run out of their garages. I'm sure that they can't afford to hire beta testers. So to me it is simply a given that that is part of what our role is here.

We purchased a kit (which is specifically being marketed on a DIY forum) with the potential to compete with products at roughly 5x its price point, and with completely unprecedented output-stage flexibility at any price-point. To me that's not a bad deal. If I wanted a unit to be flawless from the factory (but which will have some built-in performance limitations which this unit need not have), then I would have just purchased a Mytek. But even despite that unit having been marketed as a completely finished product, the early adopters of these units still had to update the firmware many times, and even had cut traces on their circuit boards.

Last edited:
Hi TarnishedEars!

I am very grateful for the sincerity of your comments!

It is very important to me and Andrea. I will try to do what's best for the DAC and for your wishes.

When designing my DAC and Andrea were very much considered, and selecting combinations of components in different positions. Carefully considered many different treatment options.

I had to layout to 8 times, test, hearing test and measurement test, the DAC code must also be repaired by up to 45 times. All my efforts and Andrea are still many shortcomings, we will try to improve it, so that you have a perfect diy DAC as possible.

Do I like this DAC perfect from the first, so time was too long, so I hope people forgive my delay. And also grateful for the trust and expectations of all of you.

The contribution of your comments, please do not hesitate to tell me, I appreciate it!
again thank you all!
quanghao

Thanks.

no matter the input impedance of the amplifier, you can use any amplifier for direct connection to the dac

+1

And a readable one of the DAC board - the one on ES9018 USB DAC - Hi-Resolution System* is just too small to be useful.

What exactly is OFFSET? By any chance a reference of the DC offset of the DAC output?

you note, the DAC output with IV opam, I did not use the DC off set - because DC is set off virtual mass, so I do not like.

Just change the jumper and GND is unchanged

If you want to use the DC offset properly connect the points on the PCB (labeled DC off set)

Attachments

• DAC out.jpg
    DAC out.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 353
  • DC offset.jpg
    DC offset.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Hi TarnishedEars!

I do not understand, you can not tell me more???
or give me an example of this question.
What are all of the other jumpers used for on the DAC board? I'm asking about all of the jumpers which have voltages listed next to them on the board.

I'm confused as to what their purpose is. And I was speculating that these might allow for external power-supply options, such as a method to externally power the clock if we wanted.

What are all of the other jumpers used for on the DAC board? I'm asking about all of the jumpers which have voltages listed next to them on the board.

I'm confused as to what their purpose is. And I was speculating that these might allow for external power-supply options, such as a method to externally power the clock if we wanted.

this image you can see
thanks

Attachments

• DAC-32.jpg
    DAC-32.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 359
Today I finished welding shield for all of you, to invite you to view images.

Some of you do not pay the remaining amount, so you pay for me, please, for the next week I send all of you,
quanghao thank you

A.our list of unpaid invite you to help me:

select the form of transport and DAC to get my address to quote shipping
1. Javier Cobo
2. antony_shih
3. juju35135
4. i2k92
5. chansiukwing
6. linuxfan

B. You will receive complete DAC:

1. claudio52
2. Smoothquark
3. Myfavoritettthing
4. NicMac
5. Mattmax
6. gjorgji
7. Masterkey

let me just daaij and full telephone number. Thank you

Attachments

• Kit-DAC32.1.jpg
    Kit-DAC32.1.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Kit-DAC32.4.jpg
    Kit-DAC32.4.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Kit-DAC32.5.jpg
    Kit-DAC32.5.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Kit-DAC32.6.jpg
    Kit-DAC32.6.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Kit-DAC32.3.jpg
    Kit-DAC32.3.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Kit-DAC32.2.jpg
    Kit-DAC32.2.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 312
You will receive complete DAC

A. You will receive complete DAC:

And this is the complete picture dac, you see

some of you did not purchase USB, so you purchase or subscribe themselves from me, I will always fitting for you.
Thank you

1. claudio52. DAC Finis without USB
2. Smoothquark DAC Finis without USB
3. Myfavoritettthing DAC Finis without USB
4. NicMac DAC Finis without USB
5. Mattmax DAC Finis without USB
6. gjorgji DAC Finis with USB
7. Masterkey DAC Finis without USB

Attachments

• DAC-1.jpg
    DAC-1.jpg
    943 KB · Views: 134
  • DAC-2.jpg
    DAC-2.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 138
  • fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DAC with power cable.JPG
    DAC with power cable.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.