• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Andrea,

How should the LL1684 be connected ?
I'm asking this because in your picture it is different than in your schematic.
In your actual setup you have the +dac connected to pin9 of the LL1684 and -dac to pin10

Follows the schematic, in the photo has been the opposite pins but same result.

Attachments

• Out_LL1684a.gif
    Out_LL1684a.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 673
I have a request...
is it possible for you to ship, with the DAC and everything else I bought, also all the connectors?
I mean the two RCA, BNC, 2 XLR male and XLR female and Toslink?
It would be easier for me, since I have problems finding the RCA and the right optical connector especially...
Of corse, I will pay for them!
Please, let me know if is it possible

It's playing and it sounds very very very good !!! :D
Thanks Quanghao and Andrea for this DAC !

When I first connected the DAC I could here some 50hz buzz and noise coming from my speakers, I could easily detect it at 1m distance.
I installed a loop breaker circuit:
diodes, 10ohm resitor and 100nf cap in parallel that connects earth to PCB ground, and now it's dead quiet, can't hear anythin with my ear close to the speakers :D
I needed to install such a earth <-> PCB ground connection because I use a LL1684 and therefor my DAC is galvanic isolated from my amp,
otherwise it could use the ground-earth connection in my amp.

This DAC is just more than a DAC it's more a digital preamp, before I used a TVC passive preamp for volume control but now I have the TVC removed and the DAC connected directly to the amp, another veil removed :)

I haven't tried the opamp output stages yet but the LL1684 sounds so good that I wonder if I ever will get to it ;)
Especially with high resolution recordings it's remarkable, it's the first DAC that I hear pianos playing like real pianos.
I use Foobar configured as here.
The Smashing Pumpkins have a reissue of "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" that's available in 24bit/96kHz and some songs are very good.

Mods done:
- added PCB ground-earth connection through loop breaker
- removed PS regulator from amanero and use the DAC's regulator
- used 15uf MKPs for the LL1684 connection to ground.

My system:
Portable + Foobar + Fidilizer -> DAC END R -> F5 -> RefSpeakers

This DAC lets me hear all the very small details, background sounds, separate instruments, vibrations, instrument resonances,...
It makes listening so lifelike, so real,.. so addictive :)

Regards,
Danny

Attachments

• IMG_0331s.jpg
    IMG_0331s.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0334s.jpg
    IMG_0334s.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0348s.jpg
    IMG_0348s.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0349s.jpg
    IMG_0349s.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 281
It's playing and it sounds very very very good !!! :D
Thanks Quanghao and Andrea for this DAC !

When I first connected the DAC I could here some 50hz buzz and noise coming from my speakers, I could easily detect it at 1m distance.
I installed a loop breaker circuit:
diodes, 10ohm resitor and 100nf cap in parallel that connects earth to PCB ground, and now it's dead quiet, can't hear anythin with my ear close to the speakers :D
I needed to install such a earth <-> PCB ground connection because I use a LL1684 and therefor my DAC is galvanic isolated from my amp,
otherwise it could use the ground-earth connection in my amp.

This DAC is just more than a DAC it's more a digital preamp, before I used a TVC passive preamp for volume control but now I have the TVC removed and the DAC connected directly to the amp, another veil removed :)

I haven't tried the opamp output stages yet but the LL1684 sounds so good that I wonder if I ever will get to it ;)
Especially with high resolution recordings it's remarkable, it's the first DAC that I hear pianos playing like real pianos.
I use Foobar configured as here.
The Smashing Pumpkins have a reissue of "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" that's available in 24bit/96kHz and some songs are very good.

Mods done:
- added PCB ground-earth connection through loop breaker
- removed PS regulator from amanero and use the DAC's regulator
- used 15uf MKPs for the LL1684 connection to ground.

My system:
Portable + Foobar + Fidilizer -> DAC END R -> F5 -> RefSpeakers

This DAC lets me hear all the very small details, background sounds, separate instruments, vibrations, instrument resonances,...
It makes listening so lifelike, so real,.. so addictive :)

Regards,
Danny

Good, I've been waiting for others to get their dac's going, glad you have joined the club.

I am currently using a zapfilter for the output stage, but I bought a pair of LL1684's and plan to try them pretty soon.

Looks like you used a russian teflon and an obbligato for the caps for the tranny circuit.

Randy

@Randy:
When you try the LL1684 connect the PCB ground to earth with a loop breaker circuit.
When I first connected the LL1684, one channel was out of phase because I based my connection on the color of the already installed wires, better to look at the labeling on the PCB, those are correct.
I used some MKPs that I had laying around, thought it would be better than oscons.

@Nic:
My other DACs are:
- Metrum Quad with WaveIO xmos
- DIY Dual TDA1541 with tube output stage and pcm2706
- ebay AD1865
- ODAC
- cs4397
From those the Metrum DAC and the dual TDA1541 are the best,
but the DAC END beats them easily.
My TDA1541 is better than the metrum quad but with all the high resolution recordings becoming available it has also become a little obsolete.
One thing that I should try is: use the xmos WaveIO with my TDA1541

For the moment I'm very happy with the DAC END, it lifted my system a few notches up :)
Also because of the digital volume control there's no more need for a preamp.

Regards,
Danny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.