DAC build TDA1541A/SAA7220P/B *will take som time*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a bit surprised that you would have difficulty getting just a couple of resistors from Farnell-online but perhaps try the 'hifi collective' and see if they can buy a couple in for you without the surcharge - there's also RS, Elfa, Conrads in Germany, etc, yes?

627 + B/Dog adapters with Nichicon 470uF on supply lines + the good resistors - quite a surprise how long these components take to settle down.

suggest you try bipassing the 7220 chip (for NOS) and a quite noticeable change.

All the best.

Hi Mayday,

Well done on your project.

Have you tried the Cen output stage? Its a current conveyer with passive IV conversion. I'm using it in my Rotel RCD855, (TDA1541A) and it sounds great.
Jfets with IDSS of about 12mA gives me ~12ohms input impedance, keeping the voltage on the DAC output under the recommended +-25mV.

Heres the link:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter.html

Do yourself favor and get rid of the noise generating SAA7220P and go NOS! :D Gives you a much more natural sound.

All the best!

Ryan

Last edited:
I haven't tried the cen or sen, but I have looked at them. I'm using passive I/V and then tube output.

I have thought about trying a NOS/re-clocking module that simply goes straight into the SAA7220 socket. But then I also have to change the filter between I/V and tubestage.

Thanks!
Jonas

Hi Mayday, Looking good. Keep up the good work. I'm making some progress on that side project. :) They are not wrong on that NOS stuff. My only issue is the sin X /X loss of high frequency. I think I worked out the slave to master on the CS8412. Got stuck on the clock for a while however I see a work around for that. It gets odd when your not doing NOS, and trying to dump the simplistic reclocker. I'm thinking that the side project will be easier then first thought. Dave

HELP PLEASE....

Ordered the PCB and the first component today.
I like the sound from my Marantz CD-60, even if it's only partially modded, so I wanted that sound for my PC too.
This build will take some time as I'll gather parts as I can afford them..

DAC PCB
TDA1541_DAC_PCB.jpg

SAA7220P/B
SAA7220PB.jpg

and finally
DIP24.jpg

I bought the same kit as i would like to try but mine is different PCB version , don't understand. Analog metric don't answer my question now i really don't know what to do. I hope someone can help me as here there are a lot of people who are very good in electronics not like me. thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 288
I know....

You can always go to the analogmetric user manual site
Schematics, Part Lists and Guides_News_Announcement_Analog Metric - DIY Audio Kit
and colect the manual for your dac (but se schematics it is not all correct)
Remenber that this new board as extra option like optical cable in (near cs8412)

I know there is guide but it is different and with errors that's why i need a bit of help, and tryng to go NOS it don't works. For example what about red circles in my picture? ( J , D13 , and socket ).
I ordered also a torx176 can i install it whe it will arrive?

Attachments

• fotooo1.jpg
    fotooo1.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 175
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.