Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Here is Cyburgs Center plan. Rolled up Needle:)

CenterPlan.jpg

Center23D.jpg

I am making this speaker now. I use 15mm plywood (very fine quality, used in die-cutting) with a dark brown veneer. I choosed the Visaton FRS8, because the TangBand has not 4 ohm version. I am very interested in the damping material quantity. I saw a lot of picture and there were very different. How many is the right? I ordered Visaton damping, too.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wanted to build a Metronome with the Vifa (my favorite driver) but Jim Shearer who built the FH3-inspired horn for the Vifa says not to bother as it would be similar in sound to the FH3-inspired horn which I have already - a fantastic sounding speaker if anyone wants to give it a try. Here is link to Jim Shearer's build with measurements and listening impressions. It does not need any BSC - plenty of bass from horn.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/227460-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build-6.html#post3413898

Thanks Mr. Jim. I will let my dad know then he can build the boxes for my moms music room. Cheers N.S.

if you're going to order from PE, you may also want to consider trying out a pair of the tang band w3-881si's on buyout, they're supposed to be pretty nice for the cost.

i've also built these using the Hivi B3N and M3N, and like the M3N a lot. but it does take two LCR filters to get it there, so the cost is higher - prob $30-35 in filter parts plus the drivers.

I want to build the simple Visaton version. Should I use the 4 Ohm drivers, or 8 Ohm? Or is that entirely dependent on the amp used? I have an SMSL TA2024. Something tells me that this is not enough to run these speakers properly, due to the low efficiency of the drivers. Will I need something more powerful? I've been looking at a TA2021 (2x25W) solution.