Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Errr ... which is why I said in my first post in this thread (about 8 posts up) that I increased the cabinet width from 10cm (internal) till 13cm ...

Maybe there is some misscommunication between us. :)

If the Needles are a small fullranger in a low tuned Mass loaded transmission line, then I just want to adjust the Needle to a SPH-60x.
Semantics aside, I modeled the Needle with the TB W3 and it didn't look as good as with the SPH-60x, so I was hoping on some second opinion.

Sorry for the confusion ...

I'm not impressed.... probably more success in a Tabaq enclosure (iirc the 4" bamboo TB did very well in a Tabaq)

Attachments

• simu needlexl monacor sph60.png
    simu needlexl monacor sph60.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 945
Henkjan: Thanks! Quite a difference with what I/Hornresp expected. Hmmm ... seems I will have to take a look at MJK's software then.
During googleing I came across some dutch sites and I see now that it was your site they sometimes referred to. Small world. ;)

Planet10: Thanks for clearing this out. Feel free to move everything from my first post on, to a separate thread if you consider this necessarily.
I remembered that one of the alternative drivers for the Cyburgs Needle was a 6" driver, hence why I tought these designs were still named after the Needles. Now that I looked it up, I found it was the Markaudio Alpair 6, which is 4" wide, contradictory to its name. :rolleyes:

Dynavox FR88EX

I have a pair of Needles (in store at the moment after moving house) with Visaton FRS8's and have been quite happy with them.

Reading through this thread again I see that there are a number of alternatives available now, most have been covered in depth in this thread.

Looking at the Spectrum Audio site I see they are offering Needle hardware kits that include a range of drivers, amongst them they list the Dynavox FR88EX which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread or indeed on the DiyAudio site.

I wondered if anyone has tried these units in a pair of Needles?

Regards - Jem

Re: Dynavox FR88EX

jemraid said:
Looking at the Spectrum Audio site I see they are offering Needle hardware kits that include a range of drivers, amongst them they list the Dynavox FR88EX which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread or indeed on the DiyAudio site.

Hey that's interesting. Thanks for the info. Sadly, I have nothing useful to say except perhaps that Spectrum Audio are nice to do business with, which I have done twice.

Running Needles Sims

Hi Henkjan,

I wondered if you could run some needles sims on some drivers that I was thinking about trying out in some needles. They are:

Tangband W4-1320
Fs: 75 Hz
SPL: 89 dB 1W/1m
Vas: .21 cu. ft.
Qms: 1.50
Qes: 0.48
Qts: 0.37
Xmax: 3 mm

Wharfedale driver
Re 4.88
Qes 0.51
Qms 2.3
Qts 0.42
Vas 3.08 L
Fs 80.48
Le 0.249
Mms 4.121
Spl 86.84

Thanks for your help,
Jon
:)

Dear Henkjan,

Many thanks for the offer for the Dynavox FR88EX.

These are the details from the Spectrum Audio site;
88 mm Breitbandlautsprecher,
95-32000 Hz Übertragungsbereich,
84,3 dB Kennschalldruck,
25 mm UH-Schwingspule,
15 Watt belastbar,
2,27 Gramm bewegte Masse,
Aluminium-Membran ,
Gummi-Sicke, Leichtmetallgusskorb, Neodynmagnet,
Nennimpedanz/Gleichstromwiderstand: 8/6,0 Ohm
Resonanzfrequenz: 95 Hz
Gütefaktoren(Qms/Qes/Qts): 1,96 / 0,62 / 0,47
Äquivalenzvolumen(Vas): 1,27 Liter
Effektive Membranfläche(Sd): 27,34 cm²
Antriebsfaktor(BL): 3,31 Tm
Schwingspulenüberhang(Xmax): 3 mm
Schwingspuleninduktivität(Le): 0,045 mH

Kind regards - Jem

I look around for other designs and I see lots of other ideas but what makes the Needles so good for me is;

1/. The amazing sound they produce, I'm still using the FRS8.

2/. The small footprint - mine are 125 x 215 the 215 taken up with an MDF front baffle, makes it a lot easier to change drive units and the cut out in the actual cabinet is the size of the drive unit surround

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

3/. Lastly and this is the most important as far as I am concerned - the height of the drivers. This gives a sound stage just above my ears and I think it is the reason for their superb imaging.

Jem

Anyone else think the same?

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your interest, you are of course quite right about the 45 deg, I do intend to make another baffle from some thick alloy I have, some day :)

What I did with the MDF was to make the hole as large as the speaker chassis would allow and still be able to seal.

Though I could, thinking about it file the 45 deg angle in the MDF without going all the way down (leaving a slight flat at the bottom) it to avoid filing into the mounting screws.

Kind regards - Jem