Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Mindcrime said:
I can't seem to find any W3-871S around.. can somebody suggest a suitable replacement? I built my Needles with the FRS8's, but would like to try something a bit nicer... Thanks in advance! :)
I would recommend the Alpair6 (see above), or the Vifa 9 BGS 119/8.

The B3S is not balanced in the high end, and has a poor low end in the Needle. both the above are excelent drivers and suit the Needle very well.

Henkjan said:
I would recommend the Alpair6 (see above), or the Vifa 9 BGS 119/8.

The B3S is not balanced in the high end, and has a poor low end in the Needle. both the above are excelent drivers and suit the Needle very well.

b.ugger... just ordered the b3s for my under-construction needles! oh well, not exactly an expensive mistake at $19 each :)

edit: hmm seems like i can't find either of those drivers in oz yet. guess the plan with the needles will be to live with the b3s until i can get some cheap 871s...

Henkjan, what software are you using for your simulations?

I would have exected that Dan Archer should have the Alpair6s in by now...
As I write this, I just paused from some measurements on the Alpair6 in the Needle... I have notch that at least measures fairly well, so after some more finetuning I'll hook up the other speaker and listen....

for simulations I use MJK's mathcad sheets.
notch filters I don't simulate, I just measure with a box full of caps&coils available...

btw: I could send you a pair of W3's but I expect that for the shipping costs you can by the Vifa or Markaudio localy :rolleyes:

Henkjan said:
I would have exected that Dan Archer should have the Alpair6s in by now...
As I write this, I just paused from some measurements on the Alpair6 in the Needle... I have notch that at least measures fairly well, so after some more finetuning I'll hook up the other speaker and listen....

for simulations I use MJK's mathcad sheets.
notch filters I don't simulate, I just measure with a box full of caps&coils available...

btw: I could send you a pair of W3's but I expect that for the shipping costs you can by the Vifa or Markaudio localy :rolleyes:

According to Dan, the alpair6s will arrive around the end of this month.

thanks for the w3 offer, however shipping would be prohibitive yes!

Originally posted by me
.... some measurements on the Alpair6 in the Needle... I have notch that at least measures fairly well, so after some more finetuning I'll hook up the other speaker and listen....
the first notch did not quite sound top (so some work to do), a bit of a nose sound to some voices, but at least I got some CD's to judge the Alpair6... I'm already impressed... well balanced, powerful (for the size that is) low, beautiful detailing... yes, worth the extra investment compared to any other 3" driver I've heard....

Henkjan said:
I just checked: shipping from here to Australia is 24 euro's for a parcel up to 2kg

works out to about AUD47... may not actually be that bad value given that local shipping here for 2 3" speakers is AUD15.

that said, i'm sure some 871s will make themselves available in the future... so i'll probably try the alpair6 units first. after i have a good listen to the b3s though :)

read this thread for the first time from start to finish... seems to be an eternal thread!

didn't find any concrete results from using the hivi b3s in the standard needle design, but i'll be sure to post my results as soon as my hivi's arrive! mine is the standard design, except with front and back using 16mm mdf as well (looks thinner in the pic below since the inside is chamfered 45 degrees)

waiting...:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

finally have my needles up and running, with hivi b3s drivers! thread on it here. a quick pic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

overall impression is that they're the best speakers i've ever owned, and create quite an impressive 'wall' of sound especially for such small drivers. that said, the sound is a bit edgy at the top end (even with zaph's breakup node filter) and the bass really needs a hand from my subwoofer.

so even though these are the best speakers i've ever owned, i can quite easily imagine how they could be better.

dan from darcher audio has told me the alpair6's are really in a totally different league to the hivi's, and henkjan if your simulations are anything to go by, they should prove stunning in my needles!

(henkjan, i assume you also tried the w3-871s in your simulation?)

:D

(NB: in the sim, the HiVi had less low end output than the W3, a bit the same as the W3-1285 that I will upload in the next post)

Attachments

• simus_needle_w3_bb3_a6.jpg
    simus_needle_w3_bb3_a6.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 894
thank you very much for this, henkjan, it is extremely useful.

i have combined all 4 graphs into one:

from top to bottom, they are:

1) alpair6
2) bb3.01
3) w3-871
4) w3-1285 / hivi b3s

it appears that a driver change is definitely in order, especially when only the b3s and alpair6 are shown:

thank you for the extra graphs!

there are now too many to show on one graph, but it is still clear that the alpair6 is the best choice. frs8 and b3s really seem like horrible choices!

unfortunately i cannot find an australian source for bb3.01 or 119/8... so it seems the alpair6 is the clear winner here as soon as dan gets some in stock.