Curvy Chang thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
marce said:
PS Sorry forgot to rotate image in Paintshop

Here... i also tweaked the gamma a bit...

dave

Attachments

• marce-curvychang.jpg
    marce-curvychang.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,801
Cement sheet on the sides of the chamber stuck on with silicone will keep it dead quiet.

Also make a lateral driver brace (parallel to the floor). from the back panel through the triangle all the way to the front baffle with a cutout to press against the driver magnet. drill four or five 2 inch holes in the front half of the brace.

I don't know what to do if the horn sides start voicing, If it becomes a problem a brace could be added later.

First thoughts; Divorce.
It would be an awesome bass/mid line array. top end would be awful though. Might be nice with a huge ribbon tweet and steep XO. I saw some the other day about 5 feet long. You could stack them with the middle ones further back to provide a 3D curved focussed array. That's one big pair of headphones.

I can think of plenty of other things to do with 18 sheets of plywood and $2000 to spend on drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BWRX said:
This statement conjures up a question: what if you made a stacked array of horizontal curved chang cabinets?

The idea of doing a woofer only counterpart to Maria has been discussed and you would use 2 additional cabinets (vertical or horizontal orientation) in an MTM to turn a small portable PA into a larger more robust PA

dave

How to build a Curvey Chang in a few easy steps!
1. Make a template, as the CNC machine I play with can only do 500x700 made the base template as large as poss then made a working template out of water resistant MDF. Template sized for a guide bush and router bit that gives an extra 5mm.

Attachments

• ccb-1.jpg
    ccb-1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,513
Routing the sides, I carefully routed the sides, this also then gives me the extra bit for the side wich adds strength and makes it a bit prettier.

PS the junk is from the new tv and stand that I'm taking to the recyling centre soon (Honestly dear ha!)

Attachments

• ccb-3.jpg
    ccb-3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,437
Cutting holes in baffle. The router compass is made out of the off cut for the template.
For the rear mounted tweeter I used a 40mm hole saw, used a large round over router bit to get external flare, and a coveing bit to get clearance on inside, then used wood repair as stated above to get tight fit.
The only awkward part of the build is the curved front, and with the template it was a doddle. So far its been easier the my 1st buid (FE166's).
Lunch hour over, will document more later.

Attachments

• ccb-7.jpg
    ccb-7.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,345
cool, inspiring work...

I want to build these , but I do have a few other jobs that need attacking, like 940 pavers to lay, 2x3meter cubbyhouse to build, still have about 40meters of skirting to put down in the house, concrete a driveway, paint the water tank, rebuild pipe's on motorbike, sell ute, buy bigger ute, play with my 2 kids....

Bah stuffit, gotta start building teh Curvy Chang :):devilr: :devilr: :D :D

Hi Stevodude,
have you been getting job lists of my missis. Must admit I've been verrrrrry nice to her lately, shopping trips, flowers, new TV, cuddles, etc. I.e. major grovelling mode, the things we have to do!
Only 2 kids, let me lend you some of mine (PLEASE), I'm shure I could afford one way tickets for a few. (Still got 5 left at home, though one is technicaly an adult (a layzeee, reads the job adverts once a blue moon when I get on his case adult).

On the CC front, got both of them dry assembled and stood in the living room. They look quite imposing. Hopefully going to start final assembly this weekend, and start finishing them.

Hi GY if your around what would Curvey Chang be in Hangul text,
I'm going to finish them all in black, as I forgot to calculate the thickness of veneer and glue when doing my template and would like some subtle design or nameplate.
Though if tolereances allow, I would like to veneer the front, this would take just over 1mm (approx 0.004") from the curve front to the driver. Dont know haw critical this dimension is, again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.