Curvy Chang thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What speaker to use with Curvy Chang

I would like to build a pair of Curvy Changs but I notice that the FE207E and the B20FU20-51FW are no longer available. The Pioneer has several B20's that are available but have different specs, I want to use the Pioneer to keep the price down. Which speaker can I use.
Peter C.

Sonida price

Hello ma_coule:

Those drivers cost $190.00 USD per driver (35,700 HUF) each. To high for me. But the Pioneer is priced right. But they have 2 drivers with the B20 tag at the start of the product number. There is a GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW at Parts Express, and it listed as a replacement, but the spec are very different from any of the B20 range. Would there be a Fostex type that may work, I don't know how far off the spec's can be until the Chang will not work as intended.
Peter C.

GRS may go in; someone on the PE reviews section notes he measured 4 and they came in way off spec., (albeit consistantly to each other) so caveat emptor.

Why not Sonido SFR 200-8?

It won't work particularly well in this box; a SET amp might help a little.

I suspect when I have time, I'm going to have to redesign the cabinet for an available unit -preferably one that will remain so for the forseeable future.

Last edited:
Maybe Fostex?

Thanks GM
The GRS specs are way off compared to the FE207E or B20FU20-51FW. How about a Fostex to replace the FE207E? Or has anyone tried another speaker with the specs that will work with the Chang, I don't want to spend too much money on speakers, under $150 a pair is fine.
Peter C.

Redesign for different drivers

Hello Scottmoose:

I would like to build a Chang and if you know to resize the box, it would be great. I am weak when it comes to design for a new type of driver that will work with the Changs, if you can do it I will wait to build them.
Peter C.

Redesign Chang

Thank you Scottmoose:

I did not know you designed them. They are great. I did a lot of research to choose what I want and the Chang was perfect. Reading what others have built and their listening tests I was inspired. This is not meant to press you to redesign. When time permits I will be there:))
Peter C.

Thanks GM
The GRS specs are way off compared to the FE207E or B20FU20-51FW. How about a Fostex to replace the FE207E? Or has anyone tried another speaker with the specs that will work with the Chang, I don't want to spend too much money on speakers, under $150 a pair is fine.
Peter C.

You're welcome! Oh well, PE is misrepresenting them then as they were/are touting them as a drop-in replacement to the B20. The FE207E's specs are considerably different from the B20's, so not sure why you're comparing them.

I assume Fostex has a replacement for its FE207E..............

Regardless, I don't keep up with what all drivers are available, just that in recent years they've been designing them for ever smaller cabs/lower efficiency, so in general, have little interest in them.

GM

Howdo Greg,

OK, are these published somewhere?

Yeah, they're near the bottom of PE's GRS page GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW -I've copied it below FWIW:

"ordered four of these for future projects and when they arrived I quickly put them through the WT3 tests. They are far from the advertised specs. Examples are: FS is 58Hz not 39Hz, Vas 0.815, Not 2.26 and Qts is .936 not .40. All four were within 5% of the above measurements. I placed one of them in a 1.0 cu Ft test box and found the bass adequate but the treble was lacking even with the wizzer cone. Serious music listening with these speakers will require a tweeter. Workmanship was poor as some of the whizzer cones were out of round and had creases in them.
They can handle a lot of power and the overall sound was
fine for background listening. I am going to cut the wizzers off and use them as woofers.
Overall not a bad speaker for the price buit PE needs to tighten up on the published specs and re-measure what they have in stock."

Oh well, PE is misrepresenting them then as they were/are touting them as a drop-in replacement to the B20. The FE207E's specs are considerably different from the B20's, so not sure why you're comparing them.

It was pure coincidence, no more. The B20 just happened to drop into this box, no changes needed, albeit the alignment was very different of course. Ended up with quite a nicely damped LF response.

I assume Fostex has a replacement for its FE207E...

The FF225WK is about the closest they've got now, but it's not really a drop-in.

Regardless, I don't keep up with what all drivers are available, just that in recent years they've been designing them for ever smaller cabs/lower efficiency, so in general, have little interest in them.

That's two of us at heart, but I get the feeling we're dinosaurs. ;)

Last edited:
Howdo Greg,

Examples are: FS is 58Hz not 39Hz, Vas 0.815, Not 2.26 and Qts is .936 not .40.

Workmanship was poor as some of the whizzer cones were out of round and had creases in them.

The FF225WK is about the closest they've got now, but it's not really a drop-in.

That's two of us at heart, but I get the feeling we're dinosaurs. ;)

Greets!

Holy sheep dip, Batman! PE isn't helping their rep any with these. For sure I won't be mentioning them again unless they get their QA up to par and at this point I'll want truly drop-in replacement specs since they tout it as such. For now, skeet practice, anyone?

Why am I not surprised..............

I know I am, especially audio wise since the mid '60s when relatively cheap high power became available, allowing efficiency to begin its long slide into the netherworld...................

GM

If it's only numbers

If it's only numbers to closely match on what the Changs want then any 8" driver should work. Or am I oversimplify it? As I understand correctly (which isn't much when it comes to speaker building) if the numbers match(Qms, Qts etc.) some speakers lend themselves to bass reflex or horns or seal cab. builds better then others.
Peter C.

The FF225wk is the only potential candidate. We currently have (but i haven't yet heard) FF85WK in box for FF85K and FF125wk in box for FE127e.

dave

tangentially to the topic of this thread - as posted elsewhere, I spent a short listening session with the FF125WK over this past weekend, and it suffers nothing in comparison to venerable FE127E

nor the 85WK in a previous comparison to FE83E

IOW, with (hopefully minor) adjustments to tuning of chamber volumes / port tuning etc in most appropriately suited enclosures, the latest budget offerings by Fostex will not likely be a big disappointment to those familiar with the old FExx7 etc series

Hopefully we'll have plenty of opportunity this weekend to enlist a a few more pairs of ears to the task. (gonna be a busy couple of days methinks)

Room dimensions for Chang

A diagram of my basement will give you an idea of what I will be working with. I want to build the Curvy Changs but I am not sure if it will work in such a room. They can fit under the bulk head because they are about 62" high. The blue boxes marked on the picture may be a good choice for their location. If not then the half Changs may be my only choice. What do you think?
PeterC.

Attachments

• Basement measurements.jpg
    Basement measurements.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 382
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.