Curvy Chang thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyone have recommendations or links to DIY amplifiers that work well with these? It sounds like amps with low damping factors / current amps can work better with FR drivers in some cases. My pockets aren't deep enough for Firstwatt gear at the moment!

No need to drop a lot of money to get something respectable. Using donor iron we made RH84 monoblocks for <$150 outlay (biggest expense were the Solen PS caps), and even buying all new, one should be able to put togther a decent TubeLab SE for <$400. Versions of a diy F1 or F2 should cost similar.

dave

Interesting. I have been playing around with some variable impedance amp setups with an FE207E model in SPICE just to get a feel for it. I'll try to post up some shots of what I am working on to see if anyone finds it useful (or possibly the opposite!).

I might end up keeping things simple & using an LM3886 or similar with the modified feedback setup. The idea comes from here.
Variable Amplifier Impedance

Interesting. I have been playing around with some variable impedance amp setups with an FE207E model in SPICE just to get a feel for it. I'll try to post up some shots of what I am working on to see if anyone finds it useful (or possibly the opposite!).

I might end up keeping things simple & using an LM3886 or similar with the modified feedback setup. The idea comes from here.
Variable Amplifier Impedance

check this out as well

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/165130-curious-extra-knob-trans-amp.html

I've heard a couple of early iterations of this project - very interesting indeed, but haven't kept up to date with Daniel's recent progress

Hi from Argentina, I want to build a pair of Curvy Chang, I have a pair fe206e with de fostex recomended enclosures, I'm really happy with the sound (push pull el84 amp), but... this boxes are ugly... I love de curvy aesthetic...
Now the questions: 1) can the curvy sounds the same or better than my actuallies boxes?
2) hurt the quality of the sound the use of 3 or 4 ohms resistances in series with the speaker?
3) extending the deflector to the edge of the box can improve the interaction of the wave with the floor of the room? (see graphics please, the tentatives red lines)
4) I have a pair of ft17 too, you recomend or not the use of the supertweeter in the curvies with the fe206?
Excuse my poor english, I put the same questions in spanish too, hope you understand me... Thanks in advance.

hola desde argentina, mi intención es construir unos cruvy chang, tengo un par de fostex fe206e con las cajas recomendadas por fostex con un excelente sonido (push pull el84 amp) pero las cajas recomendadas son... feas realmente...me gusta mucho la estetica de los curvys.
las preguntas... 1) voy a conseguir mejor o igual sonido con los curvy chang?
2) cuanto afecta la calidad de sonido el agregado de las resistencias de 3 o 4 omhs? Reitero son fe206e mis parlantes
3) extender los deflectores hasta el borde de la curva, mejoraría la interaccion de la onda con el piso de la habitación?
4) tengo tambien un par de supertweeters ft17, serían necesarios o los fe206e cumplen su trabajo tambien en los agudos altos?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1) can the curvy sounds the same or better than my actuallies boxes?

They won't sound the same, that's for sure.

2) hurt the quality of the sound the use of 3 or 4 ohms resistances in series with the speaker?

Depends who you ask. Some will say yes, others no. Me, I say if it's the only way to make a driver work in a cabinet it would not otherwise function in, then you're not going to make it worse.

3) extending the deflector to the edge of the box can improve the interaction of the wave with the floor of the room? (see graphics please, the tentatives red lines)

No, the waveguides and horns are very carefully designed, and are the way they are for a reason.

4) I have a pair of ft17 too, you recomend or not the use of supertweeter in the curvies with the fe206?

I wouldn't bother myself.

I did a volume of the space of the swoopy chang, and is 0.091 cubic meters, or 91 liters (or a bit less for lifting it off the floor, so plenty of space for a 200m driver , probably even down firing? I dunno, from what I've seen people hear from the guy change, they have reasonable bass anyway.

heres a slightly more curvey render, with downfiring woofer?...

guychange%20swoopy%20woofer.JPG

I did a volume of the space of the swoopy chang, and is 0.091 cubic meters, or 91 liters (or a bit less for lifting it off the floor, so plenty of space for a 200m driver , probably even down firing? I dunno, from what I've seen people hear from the guy change, they have reasonable bass anyway.

heres a slightly more curvey render, with downfiring woofer?...

Hmmm 91 liters, just about exactly right for my NHT1259s :)... I was looking at the fonken 167 but I don't think I'm a good enough cabinet guy to make these work or look good.

Now, however, I think I've found a new home for my speakers :)

Just need to work out how to set up my router for curves that big... Yoik.

I'll flatten the tops off as I can't bend ply round that small a radius.

And maybe a little deeper with an internal spine in the back sub cab for more bracing. That should also give me a bit more space for the driver to fire out the side, I need ~300mm or so of baffle and down firing is a no go with these woofers.

I've built Chilli Changs before but had to fire them across the room so was sitting too close for them to work, now I'm in a new room I have the space for the double horns to work properly.

Might even slot rout some planar tweeters I've got into the front for a little more zing.

Time to go wood shopping :) Ah, another project on the boil.

Cheers for the info.

Sedge.

ok, I will build one to compare side to side, if not satisfy me, maybe a sachiko but it's so big... (any other options?) thank you Scott! when I finish I will post again the impressions

You could probably build them according to the plans & make "inserts" that do over the original design to test the shapes out too. Unless you really love woodworking & just want to build lots of big things! :p

Wow just got reading through 95% of this thread. Took the entire weekend too. Well, ok not the entire weekend but you know :)

One thing I noticed is that almost every build supplemented the 207 with a tweet. Does the 207 suffer that much up top that the tweet becomes that necessary?

Are people still building these or is there a newer design that is getting more attention now :confused:

Thanks everyone for the hard work designing and testing these! They really looks appealing :cheers:

I believe the Tang band W8-1772 would work in these boxes with little or no mods!

Nope, not particularly well. LF would be heavily damped; not a good combination with the driver's own rising response character as frequency increases.

And the new FE206En isn't modeled for this enclosure is it?

Again, won't work particularly well I'm afraid (not without some fairly hefty Eq at any rate).

Last edited:
Nope, not particularly well. LF would be heavily damped; not a good combination with the driver's own rising response character as frequency increases.

Again, won't work particularly well I'm afraid (not without some fairly hefty Eq at any rate).

So it sounds like unless I could get the 207 or Pioneer this design is out until its (if that happens) remodeled using the new drivers. Bummer, they looked liked they'd be a fun first foray into this stuff :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.