Curvy Chang thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The RonCOxMCurveyC :)

Attachments

• ccrc.jpg
    ccrc.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,243
marce said:
The RonCOxMCurveyC :)

Or PacMan for short.

Repeat after me: My name is Marce and I have a rendering addiction. :)

Nice idea for an art installation. Each one could play a different instrument, with the bass deliberately filtered out. Watch the person in the middle on CCTV and when they appear relaxed play a high volume full range recording of a large dog going mental. Throw in a hidden camera and you might with a prize for the photography.

I can't take any credit for any design. I just lurk and throw in half-baked ideas as I learn.

Is Curvy Chang suitable with F200A

I know the Fostex F200A is compatible with the "Bruce"
of the spawn family of enclosures, or at least I gather
that it is from looking at the Frugel-Horn website. I like
the Bruce, but I love the looks of the Curvy Chang.

I've had the F200a's for a while, looking for the right
enclosure for them. Bob Brines FTA-2000 may have
aa little more WAF due to the size, but I have a friend
who has a wood working shop and does excellent work.
If we build these as fine furniture, my wife would be
more accepting of the Changs.

Its funny, this friend is actually the husband of one of
my wife's best friends. I've known him for a dozen years
and just found out about a year ago he is also into DIY
audio having built a Bottlehead "Foreplay". He said
speakers are next on his list. When I told him I had
some Fostexs needing a box, he said lets do this
together and build two pair. Our wives rolled their eyes in unison.

This is my first post on DIY Audio, but I've been reading
these threads for years.

One last thing, anybody have any idea on what
differences I might expect between the FTA-2000 and
the Spawn familt of speakers.

Thanks, Wade

A quick treat before a few more details on the build, a beautiful weekend here in Scarborough so I had time to work, got one fully sanded and the first layer of undercoat, and the other glued and partly sanded. There is a lot of area to paint, but now I can realy see the finished item, hopefuly similar to one of my first renderings, it not labour anymore.
OxMike, having the rendering tools etc is a great help, before I had to print out the drawings and colour them in using felt tips, or watercolours, its nice to have an image of what you want to achieve, helps keeps me focused.
Forgot, there's a can of coke for reference.

Attachments

• size1.jpg
    size1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,313
Some quick boring bits, but important for a beastie this size.
When I did the top and bottom of the curves I deliberatly left some bumps, ie not a clean transision to the top. I did this to avoid these corners getting damaged during the build as these are the only points of contact when working on the rear of the cabinet. Once everything was put together I tidied up the corners
to get a pleasing end to the curve.

Attachments

• cornerdet1.jpg
    cornerdet1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,135
The speakers are std Fostex BHL with FE166's, the TV stand is 1.5m wide and the TV is a 50". In the grey undercoat they look rather gothic.
Thank you for the kind (and comlementry) comments on the build, it helps when you dont think the end is in site, or your kicking yourself for a silly mistake.

Attachments

• size3.jpg
    size3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Looking great! If my next build looks half as good I'll be very happy. If it wasn't for the odd bits in the background you'd think it was a commercial build. Good thing about the renders is you can stick them on the fridge to get your partner used to the look of them.

They must be getting heavy.

Cheers Chaps, they are getting heavy, i'm using water based finishes so hopefuly I wont be moving them about much.
When they are up and running, I will report back on how they sound, though Scottmoose live a mere 50 miles from me plus a couple more people with more experience of the various builds for FR drivers, so I hope to get them to listen as they should be able to compare and describe how they sound in relationship to other cabinet style and give a more objective description than I could, this also will be more beneficial for others who want to build some CC's.
GYChang has built the Chang variant without the curve, and described its sound here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108394.

Of course if your earth locale is anywhere near mine, you can pop along for a listen.

Well, I guess GYChang meant "dirty talk" when referring to your invitation to listen to those babies :) -- At least I for one and drooling over those pics (and have the wife wondering why I don't notice the really nasty pics from the "Ibiza Uncensored" show running on TV)

Joke aside we know where Scott will be next weekend. Scott, you _are_ going to listen to them and report back in this thread, rite ?

Rgrds, and congrats for a great build. Really envious (and getting itchy fingers).

Florian

Some of us try to preserve the dignities you know gentlemen. We can't all stump our way through lives, growling. ;) :D (he says in his best Recieved Pronunciation).

Yes, I'll have a listen when the drivers arrive & let you guys kknow what I think. Which is, of course, that they'll be wonderful. Given that I designed them (well, the box, Ron did the curved front) I'm not exactly the best / most unbiased person to pronounce judgement, but I'll do my best. I'll be interested to find out myself to be honest. I know roughly what to expect, but that's never quite the same as the reality is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.