Curvy Chang thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some interesting laminates, I'll have a look at UK prices.
Right back to the build.
Fistly filling the voids behind the deflectors with foam. The voids are covered with some hardboard tempory covers to contrain
the foam so it fills all the gaps and increases its final density a bit, also act as a pressure release valve. I'd rather do it
this way when I can control the volume and pressue instead of when the sides are glues on, as this stuff can be vicious.

Attachments

• picture 004.jpg
    picture 004.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,436
The final lining scheme, after a few variations, this seemed to give the best effects. The holey braces are lined both sides with the light wieght wadding, a method described by Dave (Planet10) on another thread (sorry cant remember where) where as the wadding with the holes absorb higher frequencys. (not the best description)

Attachments

• picture 007.jpg
    picture 007.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,342
OK here is the first one in the buff
ready for sanding and finishing, getting rather heavy
now to lug around (a bit rough on my delicate hands!).
There's also a lot of area to rub down, as I've already
found out with the bits I've sanded so far.

Attachments

• picture 001.jpg
    picture 001.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,263
It wasn't till I took these photo's that I got a real
appreciation of how large these baby's are. I've always been
close up working on them and have never realy sat back and
looked at them as a whole unit, then when taking these shots
my beloved walked past the speaker, and seeing how the speaker loomed over her, put into focus the size. (That and the collective hernia's I,m developing carrying them in and out of the house).
So now the fun part, finishing. I am tempted to veneer the hour glass shapes on the sides, double bookmatched, ie mirrored both horizontally and vertically around the centre lines, the more I look at it the more I want to do it, its just cost of veneer.

Attachments

• picture 014.jpg
    picture 014.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,318
I actually see very little reason to square the upper and lower rear deflector panels.
Its bacially a BR port firing into an expansion. If you needed extra support then vertical stringers would work.

As far as looks ( i am NOT qualified in this subject), i think just following the 45 degree angle on the cab sides and building a floor standoff with a supporting platform would look better and be an easier build.
At least thats the way i would do it.

ron

Like this Ron?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1277284#post1277284

Or do you mean make it 14 inches taller delete the top and bottom panels so the 45 degree panel meets the floor at the front edge?

Gychang built the uncurved version with a Pioneer driver. Sounds good but no measurements. Marce, you should put something on it for scale, a soft drink can, coffee cup or something similarly recognisable.

Thats what i am talking about. It appears to be a much more "friendly " design. You dont have to make it taller.
What i see in in room waveform sims is a directly centered response thru the bass reigons thru the upper frequency regions.The whole point is actual positioning of the LF wave in relation to the mids and upper. Its a balance that is not afforded by having a singular mouth, but having the beam spread gradually reduce as the frequency increases, but it is coming from a ever reducing area as the frequency increases, so its a singular point, or the effect of a singular point thru the frequency spectrum.
ron

Hi Ron and Mike
In think that one of the things about the design Scott and yourself Ron, have created, is its versitilty
it can be tweeked to fit with almost any style of design. The combination of a sweeping curve with angular
features means you can feature one over the other or both equaly to tailor the CC to your own tastes.
Its bringing out the artist in people, and I for one am looking forward to future interpitations of the
design.
I was pondering on the styling possibilites of the basic design of the Curvey Chang and the Turner prize
for contempory art last night, (dont drink cider Kids!) and thought that instead of the usual collection
of bisected calves or piles of rubbish, a ring of Curvey Changs (representing different aspects of contempory
design styles) focued on a central circular seat, would be quite cool, each could be wired up to a PC,
and thus the sounfield could be controlled.:crazy:

Ed, Had a lokk at some of that formica, very nice but between £150-200 per sheet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.