Cult movies - what is your favorite - what is your favorite part

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cult Films

Since it was Halloween recently, these three fit the bill:

Young Frankenstein
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Salem's Lot

Other cult classics in my opinion,

Blazing Saddles
History of the World
Little Shop of Horrors
Airplane
Any Clint Eastwood western
Seven

The list goes on...

Later,

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Tampopo

How could have left this one out....... I own it on DVD. The ulimate food fetish movie ever made. Check out The Funeral from the same director.

There is documentary about the making of Fitzcaraldo called Burden of Dreams that is better than the movie. Herzog's rant on caos is mind bending in it's intensity.

I left out another German favorite The Tin Drum.

Fred

So Stupid It's Funny......

One B Grade movie that cracks me up is Galaxina - especially the scene where the motorcycle tribe lie prostate and worship the last Harley Davidson motorcycle in the universe and chant in unison "All Hail,...Our Master,.... Harleeee,..... David,.....Son"

Eric.

Attachments

• galaxina.jpg
    galaxina.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 350
My "closet" favorites:
Pee Wee's big adventure... I don't care if he was caught red-handed! :eek: :bigeyes: This movie is a trip! You can't take yourself too seriously though.
The Kentucky Fried Movie... classic American Trash
Sling Blade... I reckon I'll have me one of them big'uns
The breakfast club and sixteen candles... reliving the 80's of my youth
Can't wait for back to the future to come out in December on DVD.
What's eating Gilbert Grape... Leonardo whathisface shows some real talent! (or maybe the role is closer to his true personality?)

My "actually worth spending time watching" list:
October sky
Shine
Oh sheesh... I can't think of the good ones right now! I'll have to get back home to list the good ones.
NS

some more

of course, Hitch is a major cult -- last night we had "The Lady Vanishes" on TCM here in the states -- good film for all you musicologists (what was the Streisand movie where she was engaged to a musicologist?). add to this "Thirty Nine Steps", "Sabotage", "Dial M for Murder", "The Birds", "North by Northwest", etc., etc.

A film noire month at the same time on TCM -- "Mildred Pearce" also.

How about "They Saved Hitler's Brain". Filmed down in Mexico.

This one was especially bad, with the "head" of you-know-who floating in a jar, making evil sneers as its eyes moved back and forth.

The highlight was when "it" spoke:

"mach schnell......mach schnell....."

Truly awful. That is what I would call a cult movie. Not that any of the ones mentioned aren't good.

Other nominees:

Plan Nine From Outer Space
Glenn or Glenda
Mars Needs Women
Infra Man

maybe not cult classics, but...

Spaceballs: "They've gone plaid!" You've gotta love a flying Winnebago.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "So, brave knights, if ye do doubt your strength, or your courage, come nae further, for death awaits you all, with nasty big pointy teeth..."

Legend: Beautifully filmed. I like the Tangerine Dream soundtrack on the US version.

The Princess Brinde: "Inconceivable!" This is definitely a cult classic... Like Spaceballs, it can be watched over and over.

Maybe not cult classics, but good none the less:

The Fifth element was pretty good.

Better Than Chocolate - a great film. If only everyone was open-minded.

Atom Egoyan's stuff is always interesting.

Definitely not cult, but A Beautiful Mind was good. I liked Life as a House too.

Favorite Parts:

In the Jean Cocteau version of "Beauty and the Beast" ( a must own movie) there are so many great parts, but the one I was most struck by the first time I saw it was the scene in which the arms of the sconces moved following Beauty. Similarly, the plaster escutcheons with moving eyes. I think that this is one of the finest films ever made. btw, the set is striking similar to the Chateau Cormatin in Burgundy, a nice reason to knock back a Chassagne Montrachet.

In "Swept Away", the scene in which Corunchio kicks the senorina in the derriere. You know it's gonna end badly for the poor sailor.

another great "part" or scene is Dustin Hoffman's leap onto Mrs. Robinson -- and they cut to the pool right as he is about to land. When I took film class we viewed both of these movies frame-by-frame. <p>It was great being at a liberal arts college in the 1960's 1970s when they encouraged science majors to minor in philosophy, dabble in film!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
WINE AGAIN

Hi,

Nice to see so many people know their wines.

a nice reason to knock back a Chassagne Montrachet.

The Chassagne is one of the finer wines I know off.
Not always easy to find though,even here in Euroland you'ld still have to go to the better wineseller to find it.

I'll never forget my dads' face when he notices a crate was missing from the cellar.

I always shared it with the girlfriend though.;)

Sorry dad.:angel:

Cheers et sante,:cool:

The man the earth fell on???

Phred made me suffer through that once. Along with some other movie so bad I have tried to erase it from my memory.

I got him back......I made him sit through Pink Flamingoes. Although at one point we were both rolling in the aisles laughing. This while other people were walking out.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.