Cult movies - what is your favorite - what is your favorite part

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Breakfast at Tiffany's

The scene at the end when Varjack Paul and Holly Golightly unite in the rain and the cat gets squished between them.

Blade Runner

The "shores of orion" soliloque.

Freaks

The end of it

Any scene in the Wrath or Kahn where Montalbam is spouting melville, or likewise with Plummer spouting shakespeare in Undiscovered Country.

Traipsing through youtube this morning I stumbled upon this....

YouTube - RIP Alice Ghostley -- with Paul Lynde in "Rabbit Test"

Holy $hit! Where has this movie been all my life? Based on this clip I'd pay a goodly sum to see the whole thing.

It is certainly well despised on IMDB
Rabbit Test (1978)

and not even rated at rottentomatoes
Rabbit Test Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

...for whatever all of that is worth. What I suspect is that, if having been directed by Joan Rivers it is anything like her own schtick, it may be hilarious in small doses, but nails on a chalkboard in any duration more than five minutes.

The plot has lots of potential, with billy crystal as a young mexican american who, after a drunken fling on top of a pinball machine, suspects he may be the first man ever to become pregnant.

Anyway. A few 'cult' films that seldom get mention.

Four Friends. A really bittersweet look at coming of age in the crazy 60's. Always one of my favorite movies that noone's heard of.

Harold and Maude. I actually had the good fortune one evening about five years ago in suggesting this in a video store while spending the weekend with four college age people twenty years younger than me who'd (astonshingly) never heard of the movie. They were spellbound.

Wages of Fear (and it's equally good modern remake Sorcerer). French black and white about a down on their luck group of expatriate losers hiding out in south america from bad pasts who agree to transport a few tons of nitro glycerine in old trucks over dodgy roads because, well, what have they got to lose? Great characters and lots of edge of your seat.

Jon Carpenter's The Thing. Yeah, a little dated as sci fi goes. But the claustrophobic terror still gets me every time I watch it. Kind of like the original Alien movie. Stuck in the Arctic or floating in outer space confined in an abandoned ship with a monster. Favorite type of sci fi.

I second the vote for Dumb and Dumber. Not a cult film. But one of the very select few movies that I'll agree to sit down and watch over and over again. I can't say exactly why. I never really liked Jerry Lewis, and they're similiar tastes, but Jim Carrey's timing just knocks me over. Favorites are leaving the bar and sharing his astonishment that we landed on the moon, and jumping for joy "you're saying I've got a chance!" upon hearing his odds of dating the girl.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.