• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cryotubes? Cryogenically Frozen valves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
listening in the dark

I have seen the measurement that Bill makes on his tubes first hand both pre cryo treatment and post treatment. They are by the way different. That aside I have heard the difference for myself. I would not opt for a non cryo anything. The only time that I do not use cryo parts is when they are too big to treat or just too expensive and those to reasons don't always stand in the way of a good cold bath in LN2. So be affraid be very affraid because something is happening and you don't know what it is. These cold sweats you are getting can usually be made to vanish with a simple listen to a cryo treated product. This is all so very boring these days and the attitudes are usually closed. So if you don't believe or if you don't want to find out don't call me to buy my cable as I cryo treat every single thing I make. I don't do this for nothing in fact it costs me big in time and money. I cryo treat because if I do not my product just will not sound as good. If that makes me a snake oil salesman in your mind then I am sorry for you only. If that is your attitude in life I am better off with you not in mine so that will screen out the trouble makers. I go so far as to offer to do this stuff for free for strangers who almost never get off thier duffs to send so much as a fuse. So where does that leave you folks so good at letter writting to forums about all the snake oil salespeople???? Best regards Moray James. PS: Dave you are a good guy and you don't deserve to have to keep dealing with this kind of non thinking. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him listen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Please post this . . . and then i'm done

Somebody or other wrote:

>> "Don't judge until you listen...."

While I didn't write exactly those words I did write to that effect.
So, yes, that's right,

"Don't judge until you listen...."

Gives the astute some cause to hearken back to some silly old
homily about not judging a book by . . . you know, old fish wives'
tales . . . folklore . . .

> Spoken like a true confidence man.

Hey, pal, just step right off it . . .

Where do you think you get on making an accusation like that ? ?

Other than your amply demonstrated ability to shoot off your mouth just
exactly what do you bring to this thread ? ?

What do actually KNOW about what we're talking about here.

Have you done ANY of the research, Googled for so much as five minutes,
treated tens of thousands of tubes over a dozen year period for scores of
clients scattered all across the globe, developed and scratch built entire
immersion cryo treatment systems, learned how to babycake a glass-to-metal
seal thru a nearly 700º F ride and not only maintain its hermeticity but in
some cases actually improve it. Have you made more people happier for less
money than many of them ever imagined possible ? ?
Have you scratch built tube test systems that do a better job than any
in use in this entire industry; have you had a -major- hand in correcting
the design of an output tube such as David Manley's KT90; at one time
brought to market a 300 watt metal/ceramic triode the likes of which the
world had never seen before; sold test gear to folks like Roger Modjeski,
Sonic Frontiers, Jena Labs, Ei in Yugoslavia and numerous others; worked out
how to do energy/time measurements of electro/microphonic behaviour; figured
out ways to use band-limited stochastic stimulation to effect stress relief
in grid structures; finagled ways to enhance the vacuum in already sealed
20-to-50 year old tubes . . .

You done -any- of that, spud . . . ? ? Probably not huh ? ?

So tell me please: just exactly where do you step into the thread with
this "con' man" crap.

I am -ALL- ears . . .

People who say things like that just p*ss me off because you are stupid.

> In the first place, I will judge on what claims I see being made. In the first
> place, they have made one WHOPPER of a mistake calling the process
> "annealing". This is wrong: annealing of metals and alloys is a heat
> treatment, not a cooling treatment. This undermines whatever credibility they
> hope to establish.

I don't know why I let people like you waste my time, probably because
you are just so bloody annoying and so, every so often, I pick up on one of
you and kick his a** clear into the middle of next week . . .

Now, the point dear boy is that I don't have to "establish credibility"
for simple reason that I -already- earned it. I spent a dozen years earning
it by NOT promoting my product in any significant way. Rather, I turned it
out into the world, fledgling, on its own and said to those with open,
critical minds and good ears, "Listen to these and get back to me."
Well, they did get back to me, amazed, with their cheque books and,
little by little things grew; and they grew ON THEIR MERITS and in the only
test environment that truly cuts it: the listening room, amoung good,
experienced listeners.
About all that you appear to know not one single thing, yet you shoot
off your face . . .

So all that said, please tell us what you know about metallurgical
morphology and more more importantly its processes of metamorphosis at
high cryogenic temperatures such those achievable by LN2-driven cooling.
Give us good paragraph or two if you please and establish a little
credibility in the thread thereby. I'd love to read you on that topic, one
just never knows what one might learn or where one might happen across it
It's a great thing to keep an open, critical mind bubbling right along.

> Secondly, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. As pinkmouse noted
> in a previous post, there are claims that ought to be easily measured. There
> is not one iota of data presenting any sort of before treatment and after
> treatment test results. Why not? This is highly suspicious to say the least.

No, it's not suspicious and no, such things are -not- easily measured.
If they were, everyone would be doing so, but they're not, are they?
So if instead of just mouthing off, you buckled down and did some WORK
you -might- come up come up with something useful to say vis-a-vis the great
difficulties encountered in trying to measure any in the the class of
spuriae I refer to as Signal-Induced Noises, SINs for short.

While I have now figured several ways to go about this, and it took me
several years, it will not be, as I said earlier, until later in '06 before
I've recovered both my physical and financial health to the point where I
can BURN both TIME and MONEY on what will be a long and costly R&D project.
And, I should point out, a project I'm doing largely to provide the mouthy,
ignorant, doubting Thomases of the world something to chew on. I DO NOT need
to do this to further my business as I'm so busy I can hardly keep up . . .
and many, if not most, are repeat customers . . . get it ? ?
People who trouble themselves to actually -listen- keep me up late a lot
of nights working to meet the demand they create . . .

> Finally, I don't see any sort of guarantee. I am not willing to put up some
> $200.00 for a tube that I can get for $4.50 just to listen to it.

Brother, if you can find the likes of Mullard CV4003s for five bucks
I'm all over paying you at least twice that to supply me with all the parts
you can find. Never mind, I'll pay you four times that and consider them
cheap at twice or three times the price

> If I find that there is no real difference, then I'm out that $200.00.

Uh, no actually, you're not.
Call any/all of:

- Brendan at Tube World or
- Christian at Tube Depot or
- Chris at Parts Connexion

and do something sensible like get some rubber on the road and -ask- any of
them about a right of return guarantee on tubes on an evaluation basis. I
promise they will accommodate you in some form or another . . .
You however will have to make any returns in PERFECT condition, like
pristine, like so apparently untouched no one can tell the part was ever out
of the box, And you'll have to effect such a return not more than 7 days
after you sign the FedEx man's little signature pad acknowledging receipt.
Or, God forbid, you could send -me- an e-mail and actually -ask- me how
I might accommodate a little experimentation on your part.

To initiate, click here: <mailto:custserv@pearlsihifi.com>

Maybe, just -maybe- my answer would surprise your seemingly made-up
mind.

> I'd rather invest that $200.00 in output iron where I know it will make a
> real difference.

Sure, you do that . . . enjoy.
Then, maybe you'll want to give me call one day and we can talk about
making your output tubes sing for you a little bit more. It seems as though
I've done 4 or 5 thousand by now and lots of people won't buy anything else.

I wonder just -why- that might be . . .

With this last, I'm signing out of this thread, I have many and far
better ways to spend my time

BP

Not sure if this is related to tube cryo treatment but... Annealing toolsteel is not just a heat treatment, you have to cool it down after heating(roughly 250 degrees C for high-carbonsteel) to get the result you want. (well,, keeping it at 250 degrees is a little impractical) At roomtemp the change in molecular structure isn`t complete, cooling it down further is sometimes used to complete the prosess. Some toolmakers even cryo their toolsteel.

Regards,
Peter

Dave: If you could give Bill a little nudge, I'd certainly like to do the before-and-after comparison. I built a nifty little jig for this which will look at changes in distortion spectra under mechanical excitation, but haven't seen the tubes yet.

Probably OK for the moment, since I've got some C37 to look at....

Hey!

I really didnt think this would get so heated in some parts!--I posted what I consider (In the absence of any real TESTED evedence) a product which looks on the surface to be utter rip-off rubbish--Yes, his tubes may have gone through some severe testing, BUT does the freezing bit actually do anything??

(I wonder why Sy, who is looking to do some proper testing, hasnt received his test-tubes!!--Most interesting!)

The only real way for this to be proved before any reasonable doubt, would be a BEFORE and AFTER tests on say 10 tubes of the same make, type batch etc., after first having been burned in for say 100 hours, with a 'control' group not undergoing the freezing process but all the other testing/treatments.........

(Sounds like all that twaddle about Carbon Compo resistors and 50 dollar .1 uF caps sounding better to me--Just another rip-off in society aimed at the rich and usually stupid......... Be interesting to be PROVED wrong by INDEPENDENT testing.........) :smash:

(Flame suit = on)
Personally,I think it's,ahem.."Overhyped".
I'm a serious skeptic -but I do like suprises!
Perhaps it -could- have some benefits..
Is there any -Hard Data- on the lifespan of cryo'd tubes?
Probably not.

If I had a process that could do that I would have charts and results right across my website. But I don't see any there...

Exactly. No -Hard Data- there either.I wonder why (seriously).

Mr BP seems pretty defensive.. Reminds me of 'some other' audio guys I know. Perhaps if he'd calm down and explain/back up what he's saying/claiming,there might be more people that would understand.
No need to get all Pi$$y -he's making a rather large claim,he should know that people will shoot him down untill there's atleast some kind of -evidence- to the contrary.

That's like saying I saw a UFO,people will think I'm nuts (and i'd -expect- them to!),untill they can see/touch it for themselves. People want proof...

Okay,so I guess opinion will have to do for now..

But who can afford to "try it themselves" when the tubes cost 200x more than any sane person would pay?
Nobody can afford to form an opinion. -and the guys that can,are already considered "nuts' for paying so much for a $10 tube in the first place.. (no disrespect guys,but i'm a poor college-age kid!)

That said,Who knows,maybe I'll give it a shot,but Mr BP might have already lost my business before he gained it.

I don't know why I let people like you waste my time, probably because you are just so bloody annoying and so, every so often, I pick up on one of you and kick his a** clear into the middle of next week . . .

What a friendly chap,and such wonderful customer service!
With such a wonderful spokesman,no wonder people are shooting holes through it.
Instead of spouting off his mouth,and insulting -potential customers- he should STFU,and present some DATA,to support his cause. Numbers man,Numbers.
So far,short of a couple testimonies,he's got nothin.

What,does he expect that people WON'T have questions?
Once again,he's making a rather large claim, OF COURSE people are gonna have questions and be skeptical...duh?

(once again,back to ET's and UFO's)
Wouldn't you have questions if I said I shook ET's hand?
"What's it feel like,is it slimey?"
Once again..I'd *expect* you to have questions,and if I cared about my reputation,I'd atleast TRY to be polite in my answers.
Who's gonna believe a crumuddgeon who won't say anything other than "I'm gonna kick your @$$!"

I'm still willing to give cryo'd tubes a try,but I think i'll be finding them from a different source. :dodgy:

Now, the point dear boy is that I don't have to "establish credibility" for simple reason that I -already- earned it.

HA!.. Not from me,"spud".
I think your credibility just dropped 2-3 more points on this end.

Re: Please post this . . . and then i'm done

planet10 said:
...posted on behalf of Bill Pearl

I am sorry to say this, but this sort of reply was, to say the least, unexpected, and if nothing else, undermines BP credibility on grounds of civilised conduct.

Far be it from me to doubt his credentials, but there is a difference in offering them in a more leisurly manner, or hammering them down someone's throat just because he is, and I might add, given the number of charlatans, rightfully so, 'a dobting Thomas', having seen nothing but sales talk on the website. Instead of coming off as an expert in the field (which he probably is), BP comes off as another offended 'sacred cow' of audio, which there are already far too many of. I am very sorry to have ever seen such a post on this forum.

But I do have to ask one question: since the nice pictures of the p[rocess on BPs site show so many measuring instruments, it is obvious that there is a scientiffic approach to this - so WHY was it so difficult to take a tube - ANY tube - and show us before and after measurements going through the whole process? Wouldn't that be a GREAT way to shut up all the dobting Thomases, and very likely, a way to gain more customers, not to mention, educate the members of this forum, than this sort of holier than thou 'I've been involved in tubes before you were even a glimmer in your parents eyes' post???

Please note that I am in no way trying to discredit BPs process or claims, but IMHO his marketing leaves something to be desired - especially since he is not the only one to offer cryo treatment - so it would stand to reason that what his site says, should help his potential customers to chose him over the charlatans (and I am sure he'll be the first one to say there are plenty). 'Buy it at 10-80 times the price and listen for yourself' would be a good reason for me not to use his services even if i was prepared to spend that money - I am sure people here would not go with that policy even if they were buying chewing gum, no matter how good it turned out to be. If the product is so good, then it should be no problem to offer a guarantee - maybe some sort of 'buy back' offer?

^^^
My point exactly. Offer up something to get people to believe,instead of just asking for them to buy something "just to see" if they like it,all the while acting all "High and Mighty".

It smells of Snake Oil,with a bit of Ego Grease on the side.

I'm not trying to undermine anyone,I'm just saying without somekind of evidence to support his claims,he looks like a "nut" that's just after your money. His word against your dollar.

cooling steel to -185 transforms austentite to martentite -- which doesn't splinter as readily --

i spent a summer as a lab rat doing research with liquid nitrogen, liquid hydrogen -- this was very early "super-conducting" stuff and my job was purely grunt work (except that I was able to make PLL's with 12ax7's and a very good amplifier for getting signals out of a snowy environment).

I must admit that I am one of those people who have a negative opinion, without actually testing the product. I am in the position to actually electrically test such a product, but I am NOT in the position to test it form a financial standpoint. Many of my complete amplifiers cost me less than a pair of treated tubes.

As I have stated on my web site, If you ARE in the position to afford these things, AND you believe that they will improve your system, then by all means BUY them. They might actually make a difference. Sometimes the difference is psychoacoustic, you spent big bucks, so of course it sounds better.

For those of us who build amplifiers on a limited budget, the money is probably best spent on OPT's, and other parts upgrades. If you have money left over after your amp is finished, and working well, then think about some special tubes. Whether you just try a better version of what you are using now, or treated tubes, is up to you. I will spend my money on parts for my next amp, because I like to build them.

I would try treated tubes, before I would even think about Shakti Stones or mega - dollar power cords, but I don't think I will be trying any of these things unless I win the lottery.

IMHO, this is a bizarre thread. It's in the tube forum, and unless I'm mistaken, nobody has shown "clear scientific proof" that tubes sound better than silicon, at least not enough to quell debate. But when it comes to cryo, well apparently that's going too far for some, "show me numbers!" :D

There is plenty of clear scientific data to demonstrate why a typical tube amplifier will sound DIFFERENT than a typical solid state amplifier. This has as much to do with the circuit design (and feedback scheme) than it does with the choice of active devices.

The "better" part has a lot to do with personal taste and the type of material played through the amp. The home theater "wall shakers" and the people who drive "boom boom" cars are not too thrilled with the sound of vacuum tubes. I have loaned some of them a tube amp, and they gave it back, and decided to "just say no" My Fisher solid state home theater amp has been in the warehouse for about ten years, I decided to "just say no".

PING Sy

Sy: I think that I have offered before so consider this a standing offer if Bill is too busy to get to some tubes I can and will be happy to treat them for you n/c it's Christmas time.
As for the "Spuds" out there well I guess that you don't read the posts on the thread or hear the tone of the words nor the unfounded accusations in them. You do this stuff for ten or fifteen years and have to spend all that time "peeling spud's" I am sure you will find yourself running short on good will to all who choose to be abusive. Readers and moderators alike. So many people who have fine ears and skills have been impressed and they continue to share with others perhaps you will take the time and effort to experience for yourself and find outhow important this business really is. Regards Moray James.

s for the "Spuds" out there well I guess that you don't read the posts on the thread or hear the tone of the words nor the unfounded accusations in them. You do this stuff for ten or fifteen years and have to spend all that time "peeling spud's" I am sure you will find yourself running short on good will to all who choose to be abusive.

That is no excuse. Go to the previous page and read what BP wrote, and compare with Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit:

Somebody or other wrote:

>> "Don't judge until you listen...."

While I didn't write exactly those words I did write to that effect.
So, yes, that's right...

My handle on this forum is not "Somebody or other", it's "Miles Prower". This dismissiveness as if I am so far beneath contempt that he won't even address me properly is an ad hominem. That's the very first sentence. I do believe that he has committed almost every fallacy of logic and rhetoric that the Baloney Detection Kit mentions, and then some. If this little performance is intended to instill confidence, it fails miserably. Why does he do that when it should be so simple to clarify this whole issue with some data? It seems that there is no data to back up these extraordinary claims, and therefore, no tolerance for any criticism whatsoever.

So many people who have fine ears and skills have been impressed and they continue to share with others perhaps you will take the time and effort to experience for yourself and find outhow important this business really is.

Having "fine skills" is no guarantee that one can not be fooled. A great many fine scientists have, indeed, been fooled by fake psychics, much to their embarrassment. Indeed, the fraudulant psychic or stage magician, have often said that scientists are easier to fool. If I took your suggestion to "experience for yourself" each and every item that came down the pike with grandiose claims -- the $500.00 volume control knobs, the $7000 volume control, the $1000/ft magical cables, the $300.00 "special" power cords, the "magic stones", the "miracle paints", etc. and ad infinitum I'd've gone broke a dozen times over.

I am not going to "just believe" on either BP's say-so, or anyone else's. Call it closed-mindedness, call it intolerance, frankly I don't care and will not be intimidated from applying a little critical thinking now and then. Open mindedness is a good thing unless you take it to the point that your brains fall out.

Miles Prower said:

That is no excuse. Go to the previous page and read what BP wrote, and compare with Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit:

My handle on this forum is not "Somebody or other", it's "Miles Prower". This dismissiveness as if I am so far beneath contempt that he won't even address me properly is an ad hominem. That's the very first sentence. I do believe that he has committed almost every fallacy of logic and rhetoric that the Baloney Detection Kit mentions, and then some. If this little performance is intended to instill confidence, it fails miserably. Why does he do that when it should be so simple to clarify this whole issue with some data? It seems that there is no data to back up these extraordinary claims, and therefore, no tolerance for any criticism whatsoever.

Having "fine skills" is no guarantee that one can not be fooled. A great many fine scientists have, indeed, been fooled by fake psychics, much to their embarrassment. Indeed, the fraudulant psychic or stage magician, have often said that scientists are easier to fool. If I took your suggestion to "experience for yourself" each and every item that came down the pike with grandiose claims -- the $500.00 volume control knobs, the $7000 volume control, the $1000/ft magical cables, the $300.00 "special" power cords, the "magic stones", the "miracle paints", etc. and ad infinitum I'd've gone broke a dozen times over.

I am not going to "just believe" on either BP's say-so, or anyone else's. Call it closed-mindedness, call it intolerance, frankly I don't care and will not be intimidated from applying a little critical thinking now and then. Open mindedness is a good thing unless you take it to the point that your brains fall out.

Mr Prower, I couldnt have put it better myself!

All these Miracle devices promacing all-sorts--Just like those magnets you are supposed to get an extra 10 MPG if you clip them to your fuel-lines!--Total hogwash!
Being into alternative fuels, and currently running my vehicles on Vegetable-oils, I am a member of a few Forums dealing with BioDiesel and Vegetable oils as engine fuels, so I get so see my fair-share of 'Magic' in the form of additives, magnets, stones Not to mention the 1% white-Spirit ploy! and all sorts of other balony, like you wouldnt believe!

Rather surprised at the venomous attacks this guy has made, instead of maybe even a little tiny bit of hard data to back up his wild claims--Sounds like a guilty concience to me..........
:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.