coupling cap in Aleph Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: A little schematic please

Klaus said:

1. I will prepare…
2. I am still testing, I will report…

Hi,

I have drawn "my" solution into the Aleph4 schematic.

I found that the BG N 470uF sounds better if the NP-pin is connected like shown, "harder" to ground level. The sonical differences arn´t too big, but given - why ever...

I do not know if this cascade solution will sound best in other DIY Alephs with other parts. Ther is a risk of testing.

Regards

Klaus

Klaus:

470uF 16V BG N + 2 x antiparallel 1uF 50V BG N + 2 x antiseriell BG NX 0,1uF 50V

Could you please elaborate a bit? I'm too stupid to get the idea understood clearly.

By the way, have you tried two 470uF/16V BG N connected in anti-series?

I'm interested to have the cap changed as I got some bucks to try out the BG caps.

Thanks in advance.

Regard,

Pat

Hi Klaus,

my caps arrived on Saturday (after ordering them Friday noon:bigeyes: ). They are burning in now (nice trick with the tuner) and I will probably put them in my Aleph 5 on Saturday. After that we will see how much better they are than the 220uF NX that´s in there now.

cheers,

William

PatPet said:
Klaus:
Could you please elaborate a bit? I'm too stupid to get the idea understood clearly.

By the way, have you tried two 470uF/16V BG N connected in anti-series?

I'm interested to have the cap changed as I got some bucks to try out the BG caps.

Thanks in advance.

Regard,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Please check my former attached file. It shows two parallel 1uF N with "anti-direction" and two in line 0.1uF NX also "anti". I hope this makes it clearer.

I have not tested two 470uF caps - to expensive...

Regards

Klaus

Re: Can I use a 6.3 v cap at all three locations

raincheck said:
Thanks for all the info,
Does all this mean that I can use a 6.3 V rated cap for all THREE 220uf locations on each channel of the aleph amp. How did you guys calculate this?
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,
NO!!! Two of them – the described one and the positive feedback branch cap - see less than 6,3V, but the bootstrap one across the CCS transistor suffers a much higher voltage than 6,3V.
But, as described, both other caps are well polarized by DC, so they do not create these distortion problems like the discussed cap w/o defined DC. So I personally do not replace the remaining ones – as long as I do not have everywhere in the chain BGs as coupling caps. This is much to expensive, so I live very well with these standard Panasonic FC types…

Regards

Klaus

Coupling cap in Aleph X

I have ordered for my A 5 the BG N 470uF and NX 0.1uF, but N 1uF is out of stock! I will try another source....

Klaus:

Thanks for the wonderful work. It really benefits us all!

Just wondering if you (or anyone) have an Aleph X to try this similar work on?

Thomas

Hi,

today I put the stack of BG into my Aleph5 after running them in for two weeks. Will report in a few days.

In the AlephX the only position to try this are the input caps (4 of them for stereo). Since they don´t need to be that big I´m not shure if a good 10mF MKP or MKT bypassed with 10-20nF wouldn´t also do.

William

First impressions

Hi all,

I´ve listened for a few days now to the new caps (BG-N470 + 2xBG.N1, + 2xBG-NX0,1 + 10nF). Altough I had them connected to my tuner for 10days I´m not really shure that they are run in properly by now. The difference to the 220uF NX I had before is there: The highs are a bit more laid back but have more detail. Room has opened up a bit to the back and bass is a bit deeper/tauter.
These changes should all make me happy but somehow they don´t. I´m not shure what it is but I felt more comfortable listening to the NX. I will listen for a few more weeks and see if it stays this way. I remember the NX needing weeks and weeks to sound right.

William

Original Aleph caps?

For those, like me, who just want to reach the original Aleph sound quality, would be interesting to know what coupling cap Mr. Pass uses. I heard it should be BG non-polarity type but I can not see any red caps in the original Aleph 30 pics. They look more like Pana FCs. Anybody knows what the original caps ara?

Thanks

Re: First impressions

wuffwaff said:
Hi all,

I´ve listened for a few days now to the new caps (BG-N470 + 2xBG.N1, + 2xBG-NX0,1 + 10nF). Altough I had them connected to my tuner for 10days I´m not really shure that they are run in properly by now. The difference to the 220uF NX I had before is there: The highs are a bit more laid back but have more detail. Room has opened up a bit to the back and bass is a bit deeper/tauter.
These changes should all make me happy but somehow they don´t. I´m not shure what it is but I felt more comfortable listening to the NX. I will listen for a few more weeks and see if it stays this way. I remember the NX needing weeks and weeks to sound right.

William

Hi William,

Sorry that your test did not immediately becomes a success. As Peter and others wrote: the choice of the "right" cap depends strongly on the rest of the setup. Let my explain some ideas about mismatch and my experiences after some weeks with "my BG N cascade".
- the NX sounds "more frontal", this IMHO created a pseudo dynamic and agility.
- the NX sound thinner, this seems sometimes to give more transparency.
- I am really fascinated about the N-type. Its sounds so "correct", the inner musical structure of everything is kept so perfect. E.g. yesterday evening I listened with low volume to an old mono live Big Band record from ´52. It was unbelievable how "three dimensional", dynamic and extreme correct regarding the tonal balance, coloration and inner structure of the music the stuff come over. "Just right" meets 100% of description. With the NX-type I had the opposite effect, the inner structure was somehow disturbed, and concrete failures were listenable.
- the same effect with voices: since the N is in almost all failures about voices are gone (S-snake-like-failures, sharpness, dull etc…). Hours of listening w/o any disturbing failure. I never thought before that this is possible!
- since listening via N type I know how many information is on a CD… Even with NX so many details about the "structure and aura of the music" stayed overlaid.
- you also said it: more details, more open room, better bass – isn't this the biggest evidence for "more correct". To feel in spite of this more comfortable with NX is a matter of taste.

I hope you did not do a miss-invest following my tip… :smash:

Regards

Klaus

Klaus,

Love your descriptions.

I plan to try 220uf Panasonic FC as coupling capacitor with 0.047uf 1837 capacitors in my High Low Pass.

I know your have been referring to 0.01uf, just 0.047 seems to cover more than just the highs and according to my sums 220uf looks more like short circuit above about 100 hertz and the large value just preserves phase shift and group delay.

I am sure I saw 0.047 as by Pass in a shematic with 220uf FC's somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.