coupling cap in Aleph Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks for info, Klaus.

By the way, the question was based on my experience. I liked famous and expensive passive components. Therefore, my style was always using such components at the beginnig stage. Meanwhile, one day suddenly I wanted to replace them with conventional components to satisfy my curiosity with the result. And, I found that the convetional components were not bad at all (after listening minimum two weeks). I had several tests in this way. Probably I am deemed not a serious audiophile...

Enjoy music :)

I never liked famous and expensive components initially. I always thought that was a rip off and not worth a trouble, that's why I was using regular parts. Later, I tried some better parts and noticing the difference, started using them, as my finances allowed.

You can build anything with cheap parts or expensive parts. Sometimes cheap parts may sound better, sometimes expensive make a difference. The real art is in mixing parts for desired outcome. What is desired outcome? Some people probably don't even know.

But even if you use best parts in best configurations, sooner or later you'll get used to that sound and the difference won't be that pronounced anymore.

However, what is important, is the enjoyment that still lasts and that prevents you from swapping components over an over, or building one amp after another in constant search for the holly grail. That gives you peace of mind and sort of satisfaction with a job well done.

And then you can actually enjoy the music.;)

BG Magic all the way ?

Perhaps not 100% relevant. But people talk about how good BG is in non-polar applications. Has anyone any hands-on experience with BG as power supply filtering caps ?

I have heard people using hundreds of Silmics in parallel in PSU's, but no one seems to have gone the last step and parallel BG's for the same application ???

Patrick

Re: BG Magic all the way ?

EUVL said:
I have heard people using hundreds of Silmics in parallel in PSU's, but no one seems to have gone the last step and parallel BG's for the same application ???

Actually Krell does it in their Master Reference power amplifier:

Attachments

• krell.jpg
    krell.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,439
Re: BG Magic all the way ?

I subscribe to each word of Peter! Tweaking first means to be patient. Finally a point of stop tweaking and start enyoing has to be found. IMHO the Pass devices sound so musical that even with standard parts joy is guaranteed. After tweaking more details come, but not really necessary for this joy.

EUVL said:
Perhaps not 100% relevant. But people talk about how good BG is in non-polar applications. Has anyone any hands-on experience with BG as power supply filtering caps ?

Patrick

Due to the price of BGs I do not wonder not to have found those guys...

IMHO perfect matched bypass cascades can do the same good job like many paralleled high quality caps. The benefit of bypassing is maybe frequently underexpected.

Regards

Klaus

A little schematic please

Hello Klaus,

You have answered a question I have been considering for weeks regarding THAT 220 uF capacitor! I am just setting about ordering parts for two Aleph 30's.

1. Could you please post a little schematic of how you have your main capacitor and the smaller "anti-serial and anti-parallel" capacitors joined up?

2. Which end of the large capacitor did YOU eventually join to the Negative Input?

3. I presume that in your new "compound capacitor" you have NOT used your little 10nF MKP bypass.

4. Is this real about Black Gate not being made any more?? If so, 'tis sad, because I am only just getting to the point where I have anything decent to put them in ... i.e. some Pass Amps clones! This is a pain, along with Audiom not releasing their drivers, especially their nice bass drivers, any more!

MANY thanks for all your information, and also to Peter Daniels for his bits of wisdom. Oh ... and that other chappy, Nelson Pass.

Regards,
George.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
... expensive components... finances... swapping components over an over, ...

I did amount of investment and was blaimed at the same rate by my wife. Problem was I couldn't justify it to my poor wife. :)

Yes, the real art is in mixing the parts. Many people like to seek the experienced real art and use it at the start. I was one of them. Unfortunately, I found that the experienced art was often appeared as simply subjective, making me disappointed.

Yes, there are "differences" in different components. I agree with you.

Re: Cerafine

EUVL said:
Ralf,

Have you tried and compared with Panasonic FC's ?

Hi Patrick,

i build-in Panasonic FC`s in Psu of my Cd Player, but at the same time i changed several other Electrolytics with BG`s.
The Result was astonishing goog, but i cannot give a true statemant about diferences between Elna and Panasonic.

I think both are payable high quality choices for making psu`s

regards,
Ralf

I tried few times Elna Cerafine, but somehow they always seemed very mellow and soft without enough edge. By a big approximation, I would assume that Panasonic FC wouldn't be any inferior to Elna Cerafine (and they also lack a bit of that edge and last word in definition). However, Panasonics are very musical, and I wouldn't mind using them everywhere.

For instance, in AcK DAC there are Panasonics only and this unit sounds very good.

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,077
Re: A little schematic please

GeorgeBoles said:
Hello Klaus,

1. Could you please post a little schematic of how you have your main capacitor and the smaller "anti-serial and anti-parallel" capacitors joined up?

2. Which end of the large capacitor did YOU eventually join to the Negative Input?

3. I presume that in your new "compound capacitor" you have NOT used your little 10nF MKP bypass.

4. Is this real about Black Gate not being made any more?? If so, 'tis sad, because I am only just getting to the point where I have anything decent to put them in ... i.e. some Pass Amps clones! This is a pain, along with Audiom not releasing their drivers, especially their nice bass drivers, any more!

MANY thanks for all your information, and also to Peter Daniels for his bits of wisdom. Oh ... and that other chappy, Nelson Pass.

Regards,
George.

Hi George,

1. I will prepare…
2. I am still testing, I will report…
3. I use everywhere this 10nF MKP foil caps. I have found NO position where they do not give a estonisching big benefit. They clean up the last distortions and improve musicallity.
4. German dealers confirmed that they had do to their last order in September. The fight for the last parts on stock is opened…

I like to share tips and experiences – because I got them before from other guys. In between is "just" the will to test, and not just talk about "voodoo stuff", like too many guys do…

Regards

Klaus

Peter Daniel said:
I tried few times Elna Cerafine, but somehow they always seemed very mellow and soft without enough edge. By a big approximation, I would assume that Panasonic FC wouldn't be any inferior to Elna Cerafine (and they also lack a bit of that edge and last word in definition). However, Panasonics are very musical, and I wouldn't mind using them everywhere.

For instance, in AcK DAC there are Panasonics only and this unit sounds very good.

Hi Peter,
What are those large 3k83 resistors?. Any idea why they are so big?
:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.