Controversial topic - Components vs. Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john curl said:
For example, I spoke for about an hour with Geoff Kait, the guy who sells rocks in a jar, to improve some audio systems. Geoff happens to be a physicist who could teach the vast majority of you, a thing or two about audio, but he doesn't want to bother.

Yeah, we've seen that excuse before.

What is it with these so-called physicists who sell stuff to audiophiles who never seem to want to explain anything? I mean, that's ultimately what physicists do is explain things. Why is it that once they start selling to audiophiles, they suddenly get out of the explaining business?

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Steve Eddy said:

Yeah, we've seen that excuse before.

What is it with these so-called physicists who sell stuff to audiophiles who never seem to want to explain anything? I mean, that's ultimately what physicists do is explain things. Why is it that once they start selling to audiophiles, they suddenly get out of the explaining business?

se

:nod:

thylantyr said:
I would have a hard time accepting
audio lecture from someone who
markets sonic rocks.

I'd rather take lessons from
David Blaine, at least he would
admit the magic is all an illusion.

You'd do even better to take lessons from The Amazing Randi. You'll see some spooky similarities between the charlatans he exposes and the audio frauds like the guy with the magic ceramics, the guy with the magic goop, and the guy with the jar full of rocks.

You people are ignorant on this subject. These are minerals that have special properties, just like many specific minerals have in many applications. For example, MICA is a mineral, it is also a 'rock'. We make caps with mica, but not necessarily with any rocks that lie around.
Steve's minerals are put in a container of some kind to contain them. Maybe a sandwitch bag would do, but a jar might be more stable and even more attractive.
I know a number of inventive people, who often have strong backgrounds in mathematics or physics. Engineers seem to be too biased to reach out for anything that might work in a particular situation. They usually need the support of a textbook explanation, to use anything new.
This is probably why we often say that engineers are 'trained' and physicists are 'educated'.

john curl said:
You people are ignorant on this subject.

Gee, John, you say that Geoff doesn't want to explain anything about the subject and then you tell people they're ignorant on the subject. Rather a Catch-22 there isn't it? Or do you just like calling people ignorant?

These are minerals that have special properties, just like many specific minerals have in many applications. For example, MICA is a mineral, it is also a 'rock'. We make caps with mica, but not necessarily with any rocks that lie around.

So? Peter Belt sells foils and creams and pens which have "special properties" too. Hell, a booger has special properties. So what? Anyone can invoke the phrase "special properties."

Steve's minerals are put in a container of some kind to contain them. Maybe a sandwitch bag would do, but a jar might be more stable and even more attractive.

Steve's? I thought they were Geoff's?

I know a number of inventive people, who often have strong backgrounds in mathematics or physics. Engineers seem to be too biased to reach out for anything that might work in a particular situation. They usually need the support of a textbook explanation, to use anything new.
This is probably why we often say that engineers are 'trained' and physicists are 'educated'.

And physicists just swallow anything that's fed to them without question? And we're supposed to swallow anything without question just because someone claims to be a physicist?

se

Steve Eddy said:

Well it seems that Geoff likes to explain things after all. Here's the "white paper" on the "Brilliant Pebbles."

Brilliant Pebbles - Theory of Operation

There's no explanation at all there, no theory of operation. Just a rather garbled and incorrect "explanation" of thermal vibrations in crystals followed by some unsupported assertions. I'll poke around the site a bit more, but I have limited patience for this sort of nonsense.

EDIT: I ran a quick search at USPTO for Geoff or Geoffrey Kait. No results- he's apparently never patented anything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.