Controversial topic - Components vs. Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SY said:

That's unusual. My worst case was 4 years from date of application to issuance, and THAT was only because of a boneheaded examiner who got slapped down by the Appeals board. More typically, they've been running about 3 years from application to issue.

Expense is a different story, but I'm convinced that you can do the process without lawyers.

My employer is closing in on 4 years for my patent application. Admittedly it is not the most ingenious, but it certainly isn't obvious from the prior art. I understand that our examiner is fairly inexperienced and maybe that is why the process is taking some time. Still, it is beginning to worry us as a futile attempt.

:)ensen.

EDIT: And the money is quite ridiculous. Over $50,000 just to have patent pending on the thing. But... that includes lawyers.

PS: Sorry, I couldn't find it on the USPTO site. The applications search only goes back to 2001 whereas ours is from 1999.

DrG said:
Note to Mrs SY: Mr Sy is one of the few...

But that's not necessarily a good thing. In the immortal words of Mr Spock" "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..."

But only the select few are able to know that.

And, it seems to me that you're implying it's okay for your own partner be made of consumer level parts. I much prefer my GF to be audiophile quality. Makes it harder to find the right model but quality requires commitment. I don't know about professional, however. :)

Besides, simpler is better. Women that are overly complicated have too many buttons that are too easy to push. Kind of like amplifiers. Elegant women are usually fairly easy to behold.

As for components and design, the analogy of people holds true.

One well made and healthy heart is better than one that's been patched together by the best surgeon.

:)ensen.

People amaze me. First, patents can be useful, IF you are a large organization with lots of lawyers, and want to protect even a simple 'novel' idea. If you are small, don't waste your time, BECAUSE the big boys will steal it from you, like taking candy from a baby. That's where 'trade secrets' come in. Today, I again spoke to Geoff Kait. He will not even tell me what is specifically going on with his 'brilliant pebbles', but he did recommend the white paper of his, to me. Thanks Steve for posting it, as I did not have to go to Geoff's website to get it. For the record, Geoff is a scientist, about my age, over 60, who has worked for NASA, FAA, and other government organizations, some of which are not to be spoken about lightly.
Now about details: For some reason, many of you think that you are OWED an explanation of how something works. I guess it would help, if you want to copy it, or tell your friends about it, so they can copy it. Well, it works this way: We don't give you details about our best stuff. It would only hurt us to do so, because invariably, it would be copied by someone. Tough nuts! :cool:

john curl

For some reason, many of you think that you are OWED an explanation of how something works. I guess it would help, if you want to copy it, or tell your friends about it, so they can copy it. Well, it works this way: We don't give you details about our best stuff. It would only hurt us to do so, because invariably, it would be copied by someone. Tough nuts!

And thats because most of it is bullocks :nod:

john curl said:
I guess it would help, if you want to copy it, or tell your friends about it, so they can copy it. Well, it works this way: We don't give you details about our best stuff. It would only hurt us to do so, because invariably, it would be copied by someone. Tough nuts! :cool:

It's just !@#$% rocks in a !@#$% jar. All you need to copy it is $99 and a mineralogy book.

Jeeeez.

se

/joke

Curl and Eddy

This reminds of the old TV show called "The Odd Couple",
tells the story of two divorced men - Felix Unger, a neurotic neat freak, and Oscar Madison, a compulsive slob, both living in the same apartment. Although they are good friends, they constantly get on each other's nerves.

I don't dare to figure out who is who .....

:clown: :clown: :clown:

P.S. I have a patent for a silly window comparator,
just goes to show you how silly the process of getting
one is.

Placing one bottle on top of a solid state amp above the output section will usually improve the sound.

The performance of (conventional) speakers is usually improved by placing one Brilliant Pebbles atop each speaker cabinet.

Which sound is improved ? The sound produced by your wife
hitting you on the head with a mallet because you
spent money on rocks or the sound of your stereo
system ?

And people think the Holy Bible is hard to believe ....

Peter Daniel said:
I'm also surprised how people get excited talking about something they didn't even try;)

By the way, I can't understand why companies like this can't simply say "Here, try it" instead of trying to feed people a bunch of gibberish and doubletalk masquerading as "techincal" papers.

I can respect "just give it a try." I can't respect intellectual dishonesty.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.