• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

Hello all

Iam finally starting my first gainclone diy project, actually, my first diy project at all. Iam gonna build a integrated dual mono gainclone based on Peter's premium LM 3875 premium kit. To make it more interesting, it will have a digital optical input for my tuner and a build-in Ipod docking station for my ...eeerrr... Iphone. For the digital input I have in mind the AMB Y1. For the docking station a standard apple docking thingie. Those two need power as wel obviously. Should this affect my choice of transformers? Having a polish girlfriend, I was planning to go with peter's suggestion of two polish
TS300VA PRI:115V SEC:2x22V for AUDIO (no idea why that got so big)
from the Polish Special for audio torroid builders.

Anyway: same transformers? (Iam going to figure out later how to get that power from it, first things first, step by step)

Suggestions anyone? (maybe even for coice of digital input / docking station)

Kind regards

Erik

I just checked. Yes, a bigger 'thump', even when switching 'on' as well. And while the cable is unattached to the gainclone, the buzzing sound returns. I thought it (the buzzing sound problem) was solved. This really surprised me. If the preamp is connected to the gainclone, no buzz, only minor hum from transformer and after about 20 minutes or so, the hum is not audible, unless you focus your attention and get very very close to it. What would be causing this? Thanks for help.

Parts lost?

Hi all

I plan to start soldering tomorrow. Knowing me, I was taking the parts out already to see if I had everything, since it is pretty me to lose vital parts. And it could be me, but it seems to me as if I have a bit too many of some, and too few of other parts. I have taken a picture of the content of the premium kit as I have it now. Could you guys take a look and help me out please? Tnx!

PS If it turns out some parts are missing, Iam sure they got lost here somewhere, I trust Peter a lot better with sending than I trust myself with storing.

Erik

Attachments

• content premium kit.jpg
    content premium kit.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 545
Hi Peter,

i have ordered PCB from you few days ago and now is the time to select parts. You said that the best resistors are Caddock MK132 for R2, Rf and Riken for R3 (at least for your taste). I presume that you base these statements according to your trials, right? Can you list what other resistors and combinations did you try? Is there still unexplored territory? Amtrans for R3 or even R2, Rf?

Cheers,
Damir

I can testify after 2 years of listening to this amp now, that Peter's "recipe" of components is the result of very refined listening skills, knowledge of parts and their effects, and complete obsession on Peter's part. His LM3875 Premium kit is extraordinarily good - beyond any solid state amp I have heard, other than the Pass F5, which is not a "first-timer's" amp really.

Highly recommended. This really is "not just another gainclone" precisely because of that resistor set of Peter's.

I've just ordered a LM3875 kit and I'm thinking about layout: Are there any issues around the proximity of the chip to the transformer? The diecast Al case I've seen would be a close fit, with the chips being bolted to the floor of the enclosure just over 4 cm. from the outer circumference of the toroid. Would that be OK or not?
Regards, John