comments on my signature...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dmfraser said:
I live in southern California, the land of manipulated energy prices. It feels strange to drive a car that can carry 6 adults yet gets 28 MPG when surrounded by SUVs that carry 4 and get 1/2 the mileage. And since a car takes as much energy to manufacture as it takes to run it for at least 10 years, I'm doing my bit by driving a car that is now 17 years old (and still passes California emission standards quite nicely).

Until about 5 years ago I owned and drove daily a 1953 (English) Ford. On the open road I would get about 40 mpg. No joking. So much for development...

I was criticised a bit by some greenies (don't worry, I sympathize with their cause) because I was driving an old bomb. Never mind that mine was more efficient than their own cars, and that I was conserving the energy it takes to manufacture a new one, and that it was in at least as good condition as their more modern counterparts...

millwood said:
but what alternative do we have? if we killed off the cows, would we humans have to eat more or less grain to get the same amount of nutrients?

sounds to me the current arrangement of cow eating grain and people eating cows is just the nature's way of specialization.

Okay, apologies for replying to an old post...

One of the GREATEST culprits for global warming/greenhouse gasses is bovine flatulance (cow farts). There are just too many cows on the planet. And it isn't because of natural selection. Mankind has encouraged this state of affairs. Until a couple of generations back, the poor could hardly afford to eat meat. There wasn't enough around.

As for eating meat, there are more nutrients in grain than meat, weight per weight. The yield per acre is also far greater for grain than it is for meat. I could also go on about how the human body is not designed for meat eating, regardless of how we might think otherwise (but it is not really called for :) ).

I’m not advocating that we base our energy requirements on only one source: that’s the problem with our thinking at the moment. We have based our entire global economy on fossil fuel. What’s wrong with diversifying, and perhaps even paying a little more for it? We might whinge and complain, but so what? We just go ahead and use the fuel anyway. For example, the price of petrol in Germany is DOUBLE what it is in New Zealand. I haven’t seen anyone in Europe storing away their cars because the fuel is too expensive.

There is no easy answer, but it would be nice to think that we could develop more friendly fuel supplies, if we can’t also simplify our lives a bit and consume less.

I have the solution to the problem: we all go to the GRATE US-of-A and rip the safty lables off everything, and so teh problem should solve itself, Brian Donoldson would boil to death in his pool, milwood would blow himself when trying to consume more gas that possible with his grand honking SUV and Chris8sirhC vould die unfortunatly, crushed by the mighty skyscrapers, the monoliths of western culture and morbid capitalism, tumbeling down, unexpectedly due to increased air trafic by bin laden airlines.

and where will i be? standing in Norway, laughing at you all, playing music on my energy efficcent classD amp power by hydroelectric power dams, enough of them to power all of norway actually..

and guess who will be gloating then?

demogorgon said:
..Chris8sirhC vould die unfortunatly, crushed by the mighty skyscrapers, the monoliths of western culture and morbid capitalism, tumbeling down, unexpectedly due to increased air trafic by bin laden airlines.

and where will i be? standing in Norway, laughing at you all...

and guess who will be gloating then?

So were you laughing and gloating on Sep-11?

roibm said:

Where/what would that "somewhere" be?
I know there are plenty houses here who use a lot of solar energy(the panels are on the roofs).

Oops didn't see this, hope I'm not too late.

I read in a technical journal a few years ago (sorry can't remember which one) that from a pure energy conversion point of view a solar system with associated electronics and batteries using current technologies cannot ever repay the energy required.

Taken into account was the energy required to mine or create the raw materials, convert them (glass, aluminium, cells, lead, plastics, copper etc.) process them and manufacture the bits required.

When adding up all this energy and factoring in replacing the batteries every 5-7 years or so then the system never pays for itself in terms of energy used to energy returned.

This may not be true in financial terms which explains why solar systems are appearing on rooftops (even here though the payback in Australia is 10+ years), but in terms of what the planet provides to what it gets back solar cell and battery systems are worse for the environment than other forms of energy production (wind, hydro, nuclear).

This means that to scale production of solar systems to provide city size energy requirements could be really bad for the planet.

Cheers

I have the solution to the problem: we all go to the GRATE US-of-A and rip the safty lables off everything, and so teh problem should solve itself, Brian Donoldson would boil to death in his pool, milwood would blow himself when trying to consume more gas that possible with his grand honking SUV and Chris8sirhC vould die unfortunatly, crushed by the mighty skyscrapers, the monoliths of western culture and morbid capitalism, tumbeling down, unexpectedly due to increased air trafic by bin laden airlines.

if ever i heard one, this is a pathetic example of a jealous person's wet dream.

oh, you would not belive how patheticly jealus i am!!

you would be surprised! I actually guarantie you would.

If you had only been a tad smarter, you would know that we actually have everything you have, and more money of which to buy it with, so why should i be jealus of you?
as a matter of fact, i'm quite happy about my current situation, we actually have a democraticly elected governriment her, do you? no, you'v got SUV's, Bush, Enron and Snoop Dog. live nice suburbian lives, drive suv's, vote kerry and get bush, and most of all: BE HAPPY!!

oh man i'm happy i'm Norwegian.. so damn happy.. :D

Lusso5 said:

So were you laughing and gloating on Sep-11?

No, as a matter of fact I was quite shaken by it and had a lot of sympathie for you guys at the time. even during the invation of Bin Laden Land i belived your cause just.

but lately the true escence of what america is all about has shone through just to much to be ignored, and Bush hasn't actually helped, now has he?

edit: i belive it in order to say that even though very negative in my oppinions of america as a consept and nation, i dont have anything against most of you, i even know a couple of you and think your OK people, but it is those fanatic americans i dislike. as much as i dislike fantic muslims, christians, jews, nazi's and blitzers (communists) ect.

It is those fanatic that ruins the good name and reputation of a people every where in the world, and latly i think there have become a grate deal more of those in the US, digging proverbial trenches, and bashing out at everything not within their borders or that does not agre that they should bomb the **** out of everything.

this is all very simplefyed offcource, but i'm going to work out now, and so i dont have the time to sit here all day discussing he subject.

regards
marius

digging proverbial trenches, and bashing out at everything not within their borders
hmmm.....

How often do you lash out against countries like Somalia or any other obviously inferior nation as far as power goes?? You don’t…. Anyone with basic psychology 101 knowledge and a lick of common sense can see strait through your “I’m actually not jealous even though what I’m saying clearly shows I am” routine.

Well, you are right about me not lashing out at somalia. they pose no threat, they dont do as they please at the expence of us all who live in the western world. you do however, regardless of what the UN or NATO says about it.

I dont ENVY you in any way: I fear you because you are stupid enough to do what's needed to spark WW3, as a matter of fact i suspect you already have!

And then it wont be Normandie or Vietnam thats your battlefield, but the world all over. the south against the west. i dont look forward to it at all.

and so:
If you tell yourself that i'm jealus enough, then you might just belive it some day.
So then you can tell yourself every morning that you are happy to be a inhabbitant of the GRATE US-of-A, and that all the rest of the world wish they ws as well, sicly jealus of you!

I think you belive it already dont you?
Disillutioned man.

If there is any country (read: government) that I am afraid of, it is the USA.

From my perspective (outside looking in) Americans, perhaps more than anyone, are isolationist in their thinking -- or to be kinder, are essentially "innocents". They really do not know what or how the rest of the world is thinking about the US's actions. Nor do they understand that their sense of morality is not held by others. This is generalised, I know; there are many who are peering over the edge and seeing what is happening out there.

This is merely my observation, and not intending to attack any individual.

Feel free to dislike me if you will. I am only a person who has travelled much of the world fairly consistantly over the last decade, meeting the common people, enjoying their cultures, and trying to keep an open mind to all that I encounter. I am also a follower of American poets and philosophers Whitman and Thoreau.

Chris8sirhC said:
To be honest i really could care less..... I just made a pretty obvious observation. Your the eccentric ranting and raving, flaming other peoples countries.

Yes, and of all conclutions you chose envy. what does that say of you?
That fear, hate, anger or any other human emotion might be the spark for my flaming ranting and raving you just can't really comprehend, can you? because you are so set in your ways of thinking that you cant put your self in sombody outside of your boarders shoes, and think critically of your own nation!

THIS is why we deep down fear you. as sombody said before in this post, you will not just lie down and die, you will make one hell of a mess when you go down, wich is in about 20-50 years time, wether you like it or not. :smash:

but I dont reallly know why i bother. Nothing i say will even make a slight impression. if the entire UN and NATO dont make an impression on your leaders, then why would I make one on you?

SO: live nice suburbian lives, drive SUV's, bomb countries for oil and BE HAPPY knowing you live in teh greatest country in the whole world.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.