Collaborative Tapped horn project

ok, as promised here are a few pics, will post the final few when its sanded down and painted with metal corners attached

can add some construction pics if anyone is interested, but i want to refrain from mega long posts as that may irritate people, so here is a few

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

funny thing is i built this in a bedroom, not a workshop, as im too young/poor to have a workshop :bawling:

it is corner placed at the moment, i played different frequency's through the sub, and just like the old ones it has a peek at 40hz and a small dip at 60hz, i blame the room. lol

however the supposed distortion above 70hz that should be there doesn't seem to really notice, in fact 90hz doesn't sound louder than 30hz despite the fact that horn resp says its meant to be 6db louder

room blinds and peeks are alot more predominant in higher bass frequency's so thats prob the reason why

danieljw said:
send us the link MH !!!!!!! :D
:D

I managed to finally figure out how to get videos on to youtube, so here's one with the SPL meter in shot (bit still a bit blurry), when the meter is in the middle it's 120db and the meter is 1 metre away. The various rattling sounds could be the windows or the meter itself which is resting up against a mug of tea... Different things rattle at different frequencies. It hits 126Db+ at two points! FWIW I'm using one of those RatShack SPL meters....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLKoSdrcQjk

Afterwards I put my digicam on the table by my TV remotes and ran the sweep again, and even the camera started moving around the table!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R11gJKF1GKo

These tests were almost unbearably loud, I had to leave the room the first time I tried it! I wouldn't be surprised if AndrewT could hear it. ;) :eek:

EDIT: My amp tops out at around 280W.

Tom Danley said:
The idea for the Tapped horn came from thinking about the reflected wave present at the upper limit of a driver mounted in the side of a horn like a Unity or Synergy horn. I thought “what if I substituted a source with the opposite phase” (back side of the driver). Already having a way to model the Unity and Synergy horns, I simply altered the setup a bit and worked on and off for a week or two until I had an alignment worth trying.

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the background information, and for the insight into your thought processes. You remind me a lot of another great innovator, the late Paul W. Klipsch. I think it would be fair to say that everyone here is hoping that you will be granted your patent. If nothing else, you have certainly brought tapped horns to the forefront of our collective minds in recent times :).

Kind regards,

David

David McBean said:

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the background information, and for the insight into your thought processes. You remind me a lot of another great innovator, the late Paul W. Klipsch. I think it would be fair to say that everyone here is hoping that you will be granted your patent. If nothing else, you have certainly brought tapped horns to the forefront of our collective minds in recent times :).

Kind regards,

David

very well said :)

let me add, that as a diy guy, it is a lot of fun to have this new theory to play around with.

Naudio: Awesome, you finished it! How are you powering it? I would refrain from putting more than 300W into it really...

well basically as i am a bit poor at the moment (on minimum wage)

i built my mains about 4 years ago, each one had a subwoofer output crossed at about 150hz (didn't understand that type of stuff then)

atm i just plugged the tapped horn into that output instead of one of my 12" sealed cabs,

i have a rotel amp driving the pair, it is 60w per channel class A

i seem to be able to put the sub at full excursion at 20/30hz without it noticeably clipping and it sounds sweet and is very loud, and clean (at low frequency's)

soon i will get another amp for my mains, so i can continue using the sealed 12" subs for that sweet mid bass they have,

then i bill run the rotal in bridged mono 180w and use a active subwoofer crossover at about 75hz

atm it does play upto 500hz, but it doesn't sound bad, its kinda covered up by the fact its over in the corner, and i have 2 sets of mains running and one of the 12" cabs. just equalized it down a bit at 100 and 250hz for now

and the predicted peeks and dips don't notice

however at about over 150hz i can hear the sound coming through the cabinet alot, at the lower frequency's this isn't a issue