Collaborative Tapped horn project

GM said:

With a usable XO BW out to ~300 Hz, none of this is a problem with digital EQ and XOs and there's room gain to consider, so just dial it in in-room as required, just make sure you can adjust TD/phase too for best results.

GM

Thanks GM, this should be easy and pretty quick to build. I am hoping I will have something to listen to in a week, will report back.

Thanks again!

Fellas I've made some progress
Check my thread at realm http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=39836

Heres some info:
Its 49"X32"X20" external. It will double as a coffee table.
It will use one of the 19OV2s from my car.
It will be powered by a Behringer EP1500.
The compression Ratio is 3:1 IIRC
The path length is 14.3 Feet!
tapped.png

And the response in Akabak

coffemodle.png

Note the response is at 50cm, thats because its a coffee table, and will be 50cm from the couch.
Quite the peak at 80Hz, but nearly flat otherwise. It will be crossed at 80Hz anyways.

Comments, critiques, flames, suggestions, bashing all welcome!

G'day

Not having a dimensioned drawing or akabak input data, I can't see if what you've modeled is what you've designed, but if it is, this should be a fun little box. If your drawing is to scale, it appears you've made the mouth a bit big. You'll need a good X/O to control the peak in the top end. The ED driver looks good for this application.

(It'd be fun to try this box in a car!) :D

Cheers

William Cowan

So I've started building it. There are pics over at realm. I posted a link in the last post. I hope it works out well

Not having a dimensioned drawing
Ok but with that auto CAD drawing theres all the dims you need assuming its 3/4" MDF(the height is 18.5")

The Akabak model is on my laptop.

Anywho it should be finished tonight. Then I have to sand and paint it.

Woofer I would like to try

I have a subwoofer with these specs:

XJ-15 Parameters:
Re: 3.95 ohm
Qts: 0.578
Qes: 0.673
Qms: 4.095
Fs: 24.5hz
mms: 130g
cms: .300mm/N
BL: 11
Vas: 284L
Pmax: Lets say 600W

Would this sub work in a TH? If so can someone run it through Akabak for me...

I'm hoping to get some workshop time, next weekend or the one after, to build my OB baffles, and a pair of the LAB12 TH's from earlier in the thread. They're not optimum, but effectively free, except for a bit of glue and some time. The roughly 120dB I'll get out of them should be enough for a small room.

If I like them enough, I'll pop for the Peerless William suggested and build another pair. They're a heck of a lot easier to build than LABhorns.

Ok, finished my TH yesterday evening.

It is based on this simulation.

And look like the following:

TH_innen_1.jpg

Except the inner bracing, which were 16mm, the thing is made from 22mm MDF. All connections are glued and screwed. It took me the weekend to build it.

TH_innen_2.jpg

This is before sanding:

TH_zugeschraubt.jpg

This is my old Eminence EPS15-500 in place. As I pointed out, the Kappalite LF will fit also (very similar response, more max SPL due to higher xmax).

TH_speaker.jpg

Here it is in my room. Paint will be applied in spring and of course, If I still like it then. The mouth points toward the left hand side.

TH_aufgestellt.jpg

In the evening I did some quick testing. I heared some music and watched a movie. It sounds very effortless and goes deep down. Great for HT. But for final judgement it is too soon.

@all: Thanks for your help.

Erik

bibster said:
Judtoff,

So you think you can get away with that, huh? Like, without giving any pictures or so??!!!
We'll have ninjas sent after you, beware!!
:smash:

Paul:devilr:

Lol sorry. I have been posting the pics over at ROE

100_2006.jpg

There it is. I can't paint it till its warmer out.

If you want more pics lmk or goto http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/showthread.php?t=39836

Oh and it worked out very well. Sounds much better than my ported box.