Collaborative Tapped horn project

hoping I did this correctly?....

Hi Mazza,

You did indeed - your design is now being modelled correctly.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    44 KB · Views: 287
Lab12 Snyder horn with Alpine SWS-1241

This looks great too, yes? No Semi-inductance in this one, just manufacturers spec....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is there anything not to like about these Alpine 12's in this box? To me they look great, yes?

Attachments

• Lab12Alpine SWS-1241 Input.jpg
    Lab12Alpine SWS-1241 Input.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Lab12Alpine SWS-1241 SPL.jpg
    Lab12Alpine SWS-1241 SPL.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 451
Is there anything not to like about these Alpine 12's in this box? To me they look great, yes?

Those 10dB peaks outside of the passband are going to amplify any distortion produced by the build, but the FR looks pretty decent.

For comparison purposes, here's the sim'd response of an offset TL using the same driver (semi-inductance not enabled). SPL level is about 2dB lower, but usable passband is wider and the box is also half the size. And there are no 10dB out-of-band peaks to worry about :).

Attachments

• 2019-03-16 (1).png
    2019-03-16 (1).png
    23.8 KB · Views: 106
Those 10dB peaks outside of the passband are going to amplify any distortion produced by the build, but the FR looks pretty decent.

For comparison purposes, here's the sim'd response of an offset TL using the same driver (semi-inductance not enabled). SPL level is about 2dB lower, but usable passband is wider and the box is also half the size. And there are no 10dB out-of-band peaks to worry about :).

Yes, that is a very useful comparison thank you Brian. Clearly far superior!

My next question therefore is - please share the box design!

I can do Hornresp - just! Folding a practical enclosure, def not yet!

I'm busy trying to put on a good show for SWMBO of cleaning around the house, so I have to be brief... :)

Check the "MLTL" workbook under the "Horn Folding" section on my website - that can help with the translation of the sim to an actual box. Note: you may have to adjust the sim a bit in the process, but offset TL alignments do allow a lot of this.

Under my "Projects" page, the "Boom Unit" and "POC6" builds are offset TLs that were designed with the help of the MLTL workbook.

I suggest not committing to any build however until you're able to model the impact of the semi-inductance parameters on the response of your subwoofer design.

Oh, one more thing. There's another advantage to offset TLs that doesn't really show up in the Hornresp sim. They seem to have less distortion than expected in the passband. I'm still trying to figure out why, but I think it's due to the "offset" section adding a response "null" that suppresses in the harmonics near to the frequency where driver excursion and therefore harmonic distortion is supposed to be a maximum. You can see this in the FR/THD curve on my "Boom Unit" project page.

Lab12 Snyder fold vs MTH30 fold with Alpine R-W12D2

Hi Brian,
So I did some home work and came up with some input parameters for Hornresp exported from your magnificent MTH30.

Using the MTH30 workbook I entered external dimensions equivalent to the Lab12 Snyder and let the Optimise routine do its work.

I imported this into Hornresp and got the following input screen......

attachment.php

Here is how this MTH30 fold compares to the Lab12 Snyder fold.....

attachment.php

I think I like the MTH30 fold better. It goes just as low and looks smoother overall. That first big suckout around 60 hz is 5db less severe as are the rest up to approximately 100hz.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks again! :wave:

Attachments

• Lab12 R-W12D2 Baseline Fold Input Screen.jpg
    Lab12 R-W12D2 Baseline Fold Input Screen.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 478
  • R-W12D2 Lab12  vs Baseline MTH30.jpg
    R-W12D2 Lab12 vs Baseline MTH30.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 478
I've built and measured both a TP with a deep notch and a TH with a somewhat deep notch, both just above the passband. I prefer how they sound with the notch addressed, either through stuffing (in the case of the TH), or a precisely-located constriction (in the case of the TH)

@Brian Steele:

You did not seem to like the deep notch a few years back when I mention the same distortion lowering effect of a deep suckout above the passband.

Danley BC-subs reverse engineered