Collaborative Tapped horn project

I'm sure glad I posted the screen shots last night, I forgot to save the design in Hornresp. I started to open it only to find it wasn't there this morning ( DOH ).

Andrew, I was mostly concerned with the subsonics and the excursion there. The X-Max listed on the JBL lit. is 5mm. I assume that's one way, but I don't know that. The unit will be used for Music only, as the bottom end for some single driver BLH's. I listen to mostly acoustic small jazz combo's but my tastes are varied, and I'm just as likely to listen to SRV one day, Diana Krall the next, and Dave Brubeck the day after. I don't generally listen at high levels, but will admit that once in a while, Tinnitus be damned, the volume gets cranked up...

I'll get the info re-entered into Hornresp this eve., so I can try to get you an answer, I've got stuff to do till then.

Thanks for your reply,

John.

After re-entering the Data for the driver, and re-calculating the horn, I realized that I had confused the excursion measurements scale. I'm so used to thinking in Imperial, that I sometimes get confused when working in metric. The excursion that I see now is not to be worried about, as long as a subsonic filter is applied.

I think that I will re-do the Sketchup, and change the length of the S3-S4 section, and add some more total length by adding to the S2-S3 section, my experimentation with the tapped horn wizard shows I can smooth the response a bit more if I do...

When I play with this, I usually use Hornresp to come up with a reasonable looking response, then adjust it to the Sketchup. I end up working from both ends of the horn to the middle, and haven't figured out how to nail the length until I connect the ends.

This is the first design I've done that has any chance of being built, as I already have the driver.

John

FYI,

HP filter determination picture:

Ref: post #3559

b:)

Attachments

• Filter-slopes.JPG
    Filter-slopes.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
Hey again.

I am seriously considering the Tangband 6" woofer, so seriously in fact, that i just bought some today.

Basically I've just made some modifications to the design on Volvotreter's page.
Total length is 420cm. I am somewhat torn between making a single folded or double folded cabinet. the double folded would be neat to place smaller speakers on, but it would stick out a bit much from the wall. the 213 cm tall single folded version would be awesome to build, like slim columns on each side of the tv.

Here are som pictures from hornresp.
The frequency response is carefully planned to match my Marchand electronic passive 24db/oct filters. If i make some 20hz hi-pass filter i would be able to pump out near max effect from my LM4780 amps, and be on the xmax limit, i think. The pictures are at 28,3V. Hmm, on second thought that would be about 180-190w, i do not have that much power.

Attachments

• tangband_spl.JPG
    tangband_spl.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 732
  • tangband_input.JPG
    tangband_input.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 715
  • tangband_displacement.JPG
    tangband_displacement.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 702
I cannot understand the last two proposals.
I see an excursion peak @ 30Hz in one and @ 40Hz in the latter.
The first shows 1.8mm of excursion @ a nominal 1W of input.
The second shows 15mm of excursion @ a nominal 200W of input. Equivalent to 6mm @ 32W
Yet neither Member is worried about damaging their drivers.

Am I misreading the information?

Last edited:
The Tangband 6" woofer i was posting about has a linear excursion of 26mm p-p.
You're not misreading much, it's just insane xmax. And i do not have 200W anyway, so i'm obviously not going to stretch any limits.

Oh, and Mightym's design was 105db/1w or something like that. He will probably have to leave the room before he can crank it up.

Last edited:
The Tangband 6" woofer i was posting about has a linear excursion of 26mm p-p.
You're not misreading much, it's just insane xmax. And i do not have 200W anyway, so i'm obviously not going to stretch any limits.

Oh, and Mightym's design was 105db/1w or something like that. He will probably have to leave the room before he can crank it up.

you think that tang band 6" will have more xmax than a jl 8w7? i got 2 lying around that i would like to build a tap horn with

Think i am getting close here, look at this. I was thinking of making one instead of two, because it's less work, takes less space and it's easier to hide away (read: wife). But it would also go slightly lower, have slightly flatter response and ... be easier to paint?

Attachments

• double_tangband.JPG
    double_tangband.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
That jl 8w7 looks evil, i do not know how you'd make it sound nice in a th though. I tried modelling a 0,6 qts driver in a th before, it's not easy at all.

Using Prof. Leach's math and the measured specs from the other thread yielded this, but no idea if it's worth the $$$/effort though. Biggest problem is fitting such a deep driver into ~97 L if not end loaded, so increasing the flair from the driver to the terminus seems the easiest and gets one a bit more gain BW for the increased size.

GM

Attachments

• JL Audio 8W7 [measured] conic TH specs.gif
    JL Audio 8W7 [measured] conic TH specs.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 558
OK, so, are you going to build/test/report on it?

GM

Yes, i will post pictures, probably of the finished product, after payday sometime, which is the 20th. I think i will sacrifice some spl for low end output though, this will also reduce the size of the finished product.

Sorry about the alltalknobuild posts, but cash is king, and he's nowhere to be seen.

Hoping to prove my sig wrong :p

Last edited:
Yes, i will post pictures, probably of the finished product, after payday sometime, which is the 20th. I think i will sacrifice some spl for low end output though, this will also reduce the size of the finished product.

Sorry about the alltalknobuild posts, but cash is king, and he's nowhere to be seen.

Hoping to prove my sig wrong :p

hell... i dont have the time to study hornresp and design my own th. if some one design me one with a elemental designs 18"... that enclosure will be built and tested in 2 days max.... with plenty of pics and vids!

Which Elemental designs 18"?

I seem to have a hard time finding thiele/small parameters for any of them anyway, you do not happen to have any measuring equipment for that purpose laying about?

i got these measurements in my thread... my problem is.. i cant turn this data in to anactually build schematic. i dont know how to fold the horn, or design the enclosure :(

ED_19Ov2_Single_500L.jpg

which one looks better for use in a th?

FI SSD18 18"

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2 Fs: 27.6 Hz | 27.6 Hz Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil Qms: 9.56 | 9.56 Qes: .47 | .47 Qts: .45 | .45 Mms:338g | 338g Cms: 0.098mm/N | 0.098mm/N Sd: 1210cm^2 | 1210cm^2 Vas: 201.4 l | 201.4 l Spl: 91.4dB 1W/1m | 91.4dB 1W/1m Bl: 13.1 N/A | 18.7 N/A Xmax: 21mm Rms: 800W Sealed box: 3.5-5 cuft Ported box: 6-10 cuft @ 33Hz Sub OD: 18.500” Cut ID: 16.750” Mounting depth: 9.500” Displacement: 0.22cuft

ELEMENTAL DESIGN 190.V2 18"

Qts: .369
Qes: .37
Qms: 7.5
Fs: 26.00Hz
Re: 3.5
Vas: 228L
Mms: 307.0g
Bl: 22.10T*m
SPL: 90.5dB
Sd: 1200cm²
Xmax: 22.0mm