CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

I had no idea!
I was using the 5-pin connector that came with the ES9023 device.
Also, someone mentioned in that thread that MCLK doesn't need to be connected. (?) Is that true?
Thanks.

I'm just learning the basics of I2S so I'm probably not qualified to answer - but I think in I2S connections you can have a master and a slave device - and the mclk is a master clock that can provide a clock signal for other devices/processors if needed. I hope someone who knows better can answer properly though!

I had no idea!
I was using the 5-pin connector that came with the ES9023 device.
Also, someone mentioned in that thread that MCLK doesn't need to be connected. (?) Is that true?
Thanks.

Yes, you must have only one source for the MCLK (master clock).

If the DAC has its own oscillator module (which is normal) you should use this, at least to get it working.

Feeding in an external MCLK while the on-board osc is still enabled will lead to conflict between the MCLK outputs.

So I recommend that you disconnect the MCLK at the I2S interface, and allow the DAC's oscillator to run the timing.

Yes, you must have only one source for the MCLK (master clock).

If the DAC has its own oscillator module (which is normal) you should use this, at least to get it working.

Feeding in an external MCLK while the on-board osc is still enabled will lead to conflict between the MCLK outputs.

So I recommend that you disconnect the MCLK at the I2S interface, and allow the DAC's oscillator to run the timing.

Many thanks Rod. I've disconnected the wire at MCLK and everything is in perfect order. :spin:

Hello,
I have a Breeze Audio cm6631 USB/Spdif converter and I'm running it on Windows 7 64Bit with JRiver Mediacenter 20 with the optical output to my dac.
It runs only at the sampling frequencies 44,1, 48, 96, and 192khz. That are the only frequencies, that the Windows 7 panel allows me to choose. I tried the drivers from Schiit-Audio and Emotiva Audio. With the Emotiva Audio driver JRiver doesn't play music at all, it is just buffering. Is there a driver that workes with 88,2 and 176,4khz?
(I must confess, I didn't read the whole thread)

Greetings

Dirk

CM6631A firmware configuration

Hello
I am new in this forum and I have some questions concerning the firmware of the CM6631A. I want to develop a headphone amplifier with high USB audio quality and for this I bought some 6631A chips and also the evaluation board from C-media. I see that I can modify the firmware with the configuration and the update tool. Before I destroy the built-in flash file, is it possible to save this ? It is the version: vid_0d8c, pid_0314, fw_0300. Has anyone an idea how I can safe this hex file for the case that the own configuration does not make what I imagine ? Does anyone have this hex file downloadable ? Is there a tool available for reading back the flash ?
What is the exact definition of the pid ? Is it necessary to define this ? The new generated files have all a pid 0004 and a fw 0102.
Is there another configuration tool available where I can adjust really all parameters, like in the "CM66xxA Firmware Configuration Table_v1.3.1.doc" from C-media ?
Is there a complete datasheet available from the CM 6631A, I mean, not only the 16 page datasheet.
Oops, a lot of questions ...
It would be great if anyone can help me.
Best regards
Martin

I used FW Update Tool 2.0.1.3 and i erased cm6631 firmware. Now i cant upgrade my firmware and my card isnt recognized correctly!!!

It is recognized as "Usb audio device" with the following status!

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect.

How can i restore the firmware?

I tried connecting my Breeze audio USB interface to a Curryman DAC by i2s and smoke came out :h_ache: The smoke came from components around the USB port on the Breeze and the PC was reporting a Power surge on USB bus.

Now I think I narrowed the wiring mistake down to the DATA connection. Pin 1 was connected to the DATA ground pad on the DAC. I switched the connection around and no more smoke :)

Now the USB device still works via the optical connection (listening to it now) but when I connect the Curryman DAC RCA outputs to my system I get a lot of noise (sounds like high frequency noise) . But if I disconnect the USB cable the noise is gone completely.

With the DAC and USB device all powered and connected together the system is completely quiet right up until the USB cable is plugged in so im thinking that either I still have the i2s wired incorrectly or some of the damaged components are for preventing USB noise getting to the DAC. Hopefully the DAC has survived.

The i2s is connected like this to the DAC
DATA: pin 1->SDI
DATA: pin 2 -> SDI Ground
SCK: pin 3 -> BCK Ground
SCK: pin 4 -> BCK
LRCK: pin 5 -> LRCK Ground
LRCK: pin 6 -> LRCK

Does that seem right?

Thanks
Mark.

No output on HeadPhone Output

Hi to all.

I have a 6631A isolated module (diyinhk).

62faed33.jpg

This module has two outputs, one with isolation (speaker out) and the other with no isolation (headphone out).

I used the CM6631A Firmware Cofiguration Tool and flash the fw with i2s on headphone output.
But only mclock working, the others components of i2s signal is noise only.
The isolation output is working well.

Can I have any help about this?

Hi
Configuration Tool do not control Headphone Out(X2DMA), it only control Speaker Out(XMDAC). So if you use Configuration Tool on DiyHK board, the Headphone Out will not get work.

Hi to all.

I have a 6631A isolated module (diyinhk).

62faed33.jpg

This module has two outputs, one with isolation (speaker out) and the other with no isolation (headphone out).

I used the CM6631A Firmware Cofiguration Tool and flash the fw with i2s on headphone output.
But only mclock working, the others components of i2s signal is noise only.
The isolation output is working well.

Can I have any help about this?

Many thanks for this info, tdtsai

I am wondering if there is a way to have output, on headphones output on this card. How can I flash the fw of this card with headphone output (non isolated).

Diyinhk said "Diyer can flash the firmware and enable Headphone I2S(non-isolated) and Speaker I2S(isolated) if needed."

I try to join an acko isolator/re-clocking card.