CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

Hi,

First of all, many thanks to all members, specially tdtsai, for sharing your knowledge in this forum.

I'm interested in exploring/testing the firmware framework capabilities.

At the moment I have a DIY setup with the following components:

(PC USB) - CM6631A - (SPDIF) - DIR9001 - (Serial Audio) - CS8421 - (Serial Audio) - PMD100 connected to ringDAC

The point is that the ringDAC (recovered from an old CD player) is running upto 24 bit / 96KHz (Left-Justified, MSB with MCLK 384xfs).
I use the CS8421 SRC to convert the serial audio format and master frecuency rate.

Result is good and I'm quite satisfied, but I wonder if this setup can be improved.

The idea is to resample all audio to 96KHz in the PC (foobar with SoX resampler) and interfacing the CM6631A directly to the PMD100.

I wonder if the I2S output can be set to Left-Justified, MSB, and system clock to 384xfs. (I know that this possibly will mean changes in the reference clocks)

Do you think if it can be done with the firmware framework?

Thank's in advance !

PS Do you think it will improve ?

I have ver 1.3 of the cm6631A usb-spdif/opt. board.It functions fine but after my computer wakes up from sleep mode I need to disconnect then reconnect usb cable to reinitialize it.It's an ASUS pc running windows 10.Anyone else having similar issue or know of a fix?

This isn't guaranteed to work, but might be worth a shot.

If you go into device manager, find the cm6631a in your devices, see if you can find a tab Power Management, and try unticking the box that says let the computer turn off this device to save power. You might have to do that to the USB controller instead of the cm6631a, I'm not sure.

This isn't guaranteed to work, but might be worth a shot.

If you go into device manager, find the cm6631a in your devices, see if you can find a tab Power Management, and try unticking the box that says let the computer turn off this device to save power. You might have to do that to the USB controller instead of the cm6631a, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply.I gave it a try but it looks like it's a handshake issue.Strangely the 5 volt vbus is still sending power to the unit in sleep mode but there appears to be no audio data after wake up.:confused: I have to do a full restsrt or unplug and re-plug in the usb cable to re activate it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.I gave it a try but it looks like it's a handshake issue.Strangely the 5 volt vbus is still sending power to the unit in sleep mode but there appears to be no audio data after wake up.:confused: I have to do a full restsrt or unplug and re-plug in the usb cable to re activate it.

Try disabling the USB power during sleep option in the bios if they exist. Also check usb selective suspend settings?

I am also very keen for the firmware framework - I would like to use the chip as the basis for a DJ audio interface but with HiFi in mind and want to set up to have Outputs and 2 inputs.

The tools and firmwares so far released don't support more than one channel ASIO output so having the ability to be more flexible with ins and outs would be fantastic..

If there's support also for activating the MIDI channel then I think it would be fantastic :)..

Keep us posted...

Hi
Its very interested. How do you know the firmware do not support more than one channel ASIO output? If you are stereo device it can support 2 channel output. If you are 8 channel device, ASIO output can support 8 channel. Does I miss understand anything?
By the way if you have firmware framework it can support MIDI IN/OUT also.
You can buy a CM6620A or CM6632A demoboard use standard driver from CMedia. When you query ASIO capability. You can get 10 Channel out / 4 Channel in capability.

I am also very keen for the firmware framework - I would like to use the chip as the basis for a DJ audio interface but with HiFi in mind and want to set up to have Outputs and 2 inputs.

The tools and firmwares so far released don't support more than one channel ASIO output so having the ability to be more flexible with ins and outs would be fantastic..

If there's support also for activating the MIDI channel then I think it would be fantastic :)..

Keep us posted...

Sorry, I maybe wasn't so clear..

What I would like to have is 2 stereo outputs (4 asio channels) plus the SPDIF out enabled (2 more asio channels) plus the same for inputs (so totally 6 asio in, 6 asio out) if possible.

The firwares out in the wild that I've seen use only 2 asio channels (one stereo stream) for output to an amplifier. The firmware configurator also supports this mode of use.

If there's already firmware available at least to set up two of the CM6631A audio streams (so 4 ASIO channels) or more that would be great to know, I could get started with that - the ones I have tried (and it's not that many) either allowed for one stereo stream or set up as multiple adapters and didn't support ASIO...

I am sure with a suitable firmware all of this is possible from a CM6631A, that's why I think it would be great to have the firmware framework to make it happen :)..

Duncan

Hi
Yes, you can do it by use CM6631A demo board and use standard firmware. You can got what you want except spdif. In Cmedia driver they do not add spdif into ASIO in/out channels. Basically Cmedia driver will check all in/out channel except spdif and add it into ASIO support.
Also you can use CM6610A demo board to do the same thing.

I have an audio breeze also:
VID_0D8C & PID_0319 & REV_0101

It works perfectly, but when approaching the 80% volume begins to saturate the signal from the analog output. I believe it is due to lack of power (5v only).
I can fix this by firmware, or is it better to change the gain resistor?
Does anyone have the schematic? The circuit is relatively simple, but it is always good to check what would be the gain resistor.

Also I realized that has a resistor that is 22ohms determining the apparent output impedance. I intend to change it if possible.

I have this CM6631A from ebay in combination with a Harmony Design Da9 (CS4398 and a micro controller) Spdif to Spdif: CM6631A 24bit 192kHz USB to Coaxial Optical Fiber SPDIF I2S Converter DAC Board | eBay

And I have problems getting 192khz/24bit to work, I can only sample in 96khz/24bit.
I have tried the different firmwares (101, 108 & 208) and drivers (emotiva, schiit etc.) posted in the thread, but no success. My OS is Win 7.

I have the ability to choose 192khz/24bit in Windows sound preferences but when testing no sound, only that static click when changing rates.

I'm not so keen on the digital logic, so help is much appreciated. It identifies as USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio.

What Windows 10 drivers are recommended for the generic CM6631A USB to SPDIF boards on eBay?
I guess I will answer my own question, at least in part. I already have a cheap CM6631A board from eBay that I've been using with Linux for over a year. I decided to just try it with Windows 10 x64 and see what it did. Windows 10 loaded a driver automatically and it worked perfectly in my few minutes of testing without any problems or issues. So, I will be buying another to use my with rig at work.