Class-A Opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ampguru:

was that the SE/NE540?

i think it had two outputs for drving complementary output devices, maybe some current limit programming.

very fuzzy memory.

but it was an op amp like gain stage, not a buffer

mlloyd1

amplifierguru said:
Kanwar,

There was a Class A Opamp produced in the 80's although I can't recall whose it was, maybe Signetics or AD...

Workhorse said:
Hi everyone,

Has anybody came across Class-A opamps?.
Do they really exist.
Does there is a way in which a regular class-AB opamp could be converted to Class-A opamp.

waiting for replies.......
Regards,
Kanwar:) ;)

Generally, why is almost no Chip OP-amplifier in Class A
I think is
when you go for an IC ( and not discrete ) Operational amplifier
- you want it simple
- you want it as low power supply as possible
- you might want to build a great number of identical devices

If you want to find TRUE Class A OP-amps, you have to go for discrete.
Like this one by Graham Maynard:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi-Fi Preamplifier by Graham Maynard

Hi lineup,

There are many modern op amps that operate enough standing output stage current that they will operate Class A into av high Z load - so they can be lightly loaded with a discrete buffer stage.

Class A may be a goal in itself in low power and preamps but in power amps it's generally a wasteful fallback position.

Cheers,
Greg

Workhorse said:
Has anybody came across Class-A opamps?.
Do they really exist.
The simple answer is: If the "industry" wants class A opamps they would be designed and manufactured :nod: The truth is that the industry is rather satisfied with the present types.

Kanwar, have you thought of that pretty many opamps really do run in class A for not too heavy loads.

Two good class B examples are LM358 and LM324 :bigeyes:

This is a

TRUE Class A operational amplifier

It is designed and commercially used
by
Bryston Limited, located in Canada

Attachments

• bryston-op2.png
    bryston-op2.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 2,421
lineup said:
This is a

TRUE Class A operational amplifier

It is designed and commercially used
by
Bryston Limited, located in Canada

Similar to the line stage of a Hafler DH101/110, except Hafler doesn't include the complimentary EF output stage which really improves output drive. BTW the EF is class AB.

I wonder, what is the purpose of the 47p capacitors? the time constant with the 150R is 7ns.

nuvistor said:
I wonder, what is the purpose of the 47p capacitors?

Those caps are a mystery.
But here I found another high quality discrete OP-Amp
using same small value cap, in addition to another high freq filter.
I am sure it is some compensation.
Compensation caps are generally in size of pF.

Attachments

• d-op-amp1c.png
    d-op-amp1c.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,957
Re: Re: Class-A Opamps

peranders said:

The simple answer is: If the "industry" wants class A opamps they would be designed and manufactured :nod: The truth is that the industry is rather satisfied with the present types.

Kanwar, have you thought of that pretty many opamps really do run in class A for not too heavy loads.

Two good class B examples are LM358 and LM324 :bigeyes:

Too bad I found your post AFTER I built a small preamp using a 324 :eek:

But thank your for that valuable information.

I will be adding 10k ohm resistors now to all four amps on my chip.

*I thought I was hearing crossover distortion, and I biased my big amp to 300mA (the one the 324 was driving) thinking it was the problem and got no difference, so backed it back down. After doing a test listening to the amp without the 324, the distortion is gone.

I'll be changing the chip soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.