Ciare 250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mounting tweeter in front....
I´ve seen a similar development at the german VISATON forum.
http://www.visaton.de/vb/showthread.php?threadid=7303&highlight=why

Some old Philips speakers
Scary experiments

posted by someone else, shows a picture of a commercial design using a Ciare250 in an aperiodic enclosure.
That´s a pic from a DIY event I went to. Unfortunately I only listened to that one for literally a few seconds so no comments.
Plans are still not available AFAIK.

I wonder why they didn't centre the tweeter over the woofer?
The forum-design (first link) was measured at Visaton and didn´t show any signs of reflections through the tweeter.
Maybe those reflections are worse when the tweeter sits in the middle? Not that big a point-source anymore then, isn´t it?

greets

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• foster50rt01.jpg
    foster50rt01.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 373
Nuuk said:
So probably the most practical solution is to add a tweeter in front of the main driver. What particular tweeters are suitable for such a job? :xeye:

The Ciare is a 4-ohm driver.
You ideally need a small tweeter, with a small magnet (typically neodymium), AND a tweeter that's sensitive enough to be used with the Ciare.:xeye:
This leaves you in the car audio field, or something else not very usual.

The Ciare is a 4-ohm driver.
You ideally need a small tweeter, with a small magnet (typically neodymium), AND a tweeter that's sensitive enough to be used with the Ciare.
This leaves you in the car audio field, or something else not very usual.

Thanks Carlos. Actually, although this is the Ciare 250 thread, I was thinking more about my Goodmans 201's (8 ohm)! ;)

ciare 250

i just made a copy of norbert's design (thanks norbert)

i used appleply (not cheap)

i also used ropecalk on the back frame of the driver, dammed the cone(s), and added 4-5" wings stapled onto the side of the panel extending the full lengthof the bottm (mine are hung from the ceiling) and about 3/4 up both sides. i also used a double thick piece of wool stapled over the back of the drivers for more bass. i have about 12 hours on them and the bass is increasing. i have used 3 amps incl. a sonic impact t-amp, a 6v6 PP, and a triode-strapped el34 anthem amp one. i also used 1 extra magnet on the back of ea. driver. a sub augments the bass below 75 hz.

they sound less hollow and papery then the fostex speakers i have made.
the treble is better than either fostex or moth cicada drivers i have used.

i wish for more bass, but maybe they will improve ( i am not a basshead).
the mids are very good. not bad for $55 a driver. i have an 8 ohm version.

the ropecalk is a window calking which stays soft and pliable. it is very easy to apply. i got enough for about 4 drivers from ace hardware for about $5.
i don't know what it is made of but i believe it is fairly harmless and i handled it with my bare hands. i also use it underneath speakers and amps like blue tac. i bet it is just as good for a fraction of the cost. i also used it to cover up the holes for mounting as the screws did not completely cover them.

what do you think of your Ciares now? Do you still prefer the Goodmans or are the Ciares still improving?

Well, the Ciares are growing on me enough for me not to have put the Goodmans back in yet but I still won't commit myself to which are the better drivers.

My view so far is that the Ciares are like a BMW/Mercedes, ie work very well and do everything right but lack a bit in personality. The Goodmans are more like a Jaguar, not so reliable, a little quirky but lots of fun. This says more about how I preceive cars than speakers though and I hope that I haven't offended anybody! :D

I have been slightly side-tracked by the arrival of a T-AMP that has kept me listening more to my second system than the Ciares. When I have modded the T-AMP input section and decided on the best PSU, I will try the T-AMP on the Ciares. Watch this space! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.