Ciare 250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just attached the extra magnets and it is clearly different!

There is more detail, tonal balance is 'lifted' a bit higher. In fact, I put one magnet on the wrong way round and vocals were shifted slightly to the other side. Bass also seems a bit faster.

I will need to measure to see if the sub crossovers need adjusting.

My baffles.

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,331
Neodynium Magnets

Knorke,

Can you tell where we can buy the neodynium magnest atht you are now using on the CH250 ?
Have you tried placing the magnets in the back and if so what is the difference between placing them in fornt vs the back.
Finally, how did you remove the dust cap ? Using a box cutter ?
Any thoughts of trying a phase plug ?

Best Regards

Any progress buning in those Ciare drivers?

How the comparision with Goodmans Axiom 201 looks now?

I've been playing them about five or six hours a day but there doesn't seem to much improvement yet! I was listening to some female vocals today and it was not great. So far I much prefer the 201's but it is still early days.

I was going to measure the Ciares this afternoon but the monitor I was using with that PC decided to die on me! :(

I assume it will become the better the lower the rail voltage is. By accident I found out that it is better when I use a 100mA current limit with the T-Amp. Somebody told me this works as a compressor in first line. So I asked him whether I can change the rail voltage of the T-Amp and he said no. I assume it would be best to use a Class-D-amp fully driven and do the volume control completely by changing the rail voltage, like it is done in the TaCT Millenium. Somebody who has owned almost everything that`s good and expensive told in the JASD thread that he uses something like that and and he prefers the Ciares over everything else.
By the way, aren`t there lowcost versions of the TaCT chip maufactured by Texas Instruments?

I hope to get my hands on a T-Amp soon, and one of the 41Hz class D amps too. How do you apply the 100mA current limit?

I have never thought of changing volume by varying the voltage rails! I presume that you need highish voltage rails to start off with.

I'm not sure about the low cost version of the TACT chip. Some more research to do! ;)

I'm impressed the way you are staying uncommited on the Ciares.

You are quite right Variac. It's very tempting to say 'new must be better' or feel that you have to justify the outlay. I'm just trying to be very objective here.

So many people have praised the Ciare, I will do my best to get it working properly but at the end of the day, I may well prefer drivers that were built so well originally, and then re-built/modified by one of the best speaker craftsmen in this country! Hang on a minute I'm leaning again! :yikes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.