Cheaper replacement lamps for a305sd, dukane 680, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
blbs from china

I was one of the bulb purchasers on ebay. We got the bulb today, carefully placed it in our Dukane 680, turned on the power, and......nothing.

Anyone know if there's some trick to Dukane 680 bulb replacement? Perhaps some special reset button? Has anyone tried these bulbs in particular with the Dukane 680?

Thanks.

What's it *supposed* to look like?

Just to make sure it wasn't damaged in shipping...what's the bulb supposed to look like? The one I received has 2 metal pieces that come in from each side but don't touch (I'm talking about the globe part of the bulb) and what looks to be liquid-like metal beads rolling around. Is that right?

18wheeler send lamp/bulb.

It fired up right away and is working fine (knock , knock). Yes it had two electrodes and little metal ball rolling in the bulb. It was red hot when fired and after switching off it slowly cooled off. I am scared to see it being red hot because I had plans to put a reflector under it and I think that will melt.

For me it was next to barrel fan.

For me one side has all the ballast electronis and other side has the barrel fan. In the middle is the lamp. By one side of barrel fan you have the electromagnetic stuff for fan or motor of fan and the other end has one cover with two screws and under that I found the switch. I was using multimeter (don't know what is called in US) to check continuity and followed the wiring to see where it is going to get connected. There are three wires going in to that switch and have some numbers which I did not read.

Another interesting thing the lamp sparks without connecting the second end of the lamp. I was debugging this when I found that.

But my Buhl is not as bright as my Apollo with FXL lamp is, but of course it is white like hell and it takes a minute to get full bloom.

Always too little too late

I just bought an Elmo HP-A305 solar deluxe last week. Boy does it get bright when it's warmed up.

First thing I did was take it apart to see if I could make it brighter still. My theory is "Too much is almost enough." The spherical reflector is only about 1/3 of a sphere. I'll be visiting the kitchen utensile dept. very soon.

I just came across this thread tonight and boy do I wish I had seen it a month ago. I didn't price the bulbs before buying. My total was $92 but if I have to pay retail for the bulbs, OUCH.

Please tell me there is another shipment in the offing. I would like at least two bulbs and probably four.

What can there be about a bit of glass, two tungsten electrodes, a drop of mercury and a sprinkling of metal salts that could possibly be worth $100-$400.

I don't believe you want to change the reflector in that OHP unless you plan on changing the condensor as well. Currently the reflector is large enough so all of the light reflected hits the condensor, if you make it any bigger, it will just miss the condensor. Also I believe it is a dichroic reflector and only reflects cold light. If you use a soup ladle or a bowl, you will reflect uv and IR light as well wich will kill you bulb more quickly.

But if you wanna give it a shot I'ld like to see what happens, I'ld like to take the inards out of my 305sd and stick it in a box, while donig so I'ld also like to use a more powerful condensor that I orderd and a larger reflector. I have no Idea where to find a larger spherical reflector that only reflects cold light though :(

Is it soup yet?

I hadn't considered that the condenser lens is only big enought to catch the light from the current reflector. Good point. I'll think about it a bit more before hacking into the system.

Perhaps what I need is an eliptical with the bulb relocated at the bottom focus and the upper focus at the focal center of the condenser lens. That would be a bigger project but I think the improvement would be worth it. Now where do I find a suitable eliptical reflector.

I would like to know for sure if the mirror is dichroic. If it is, other arangements would have to be made to filter the light. There are two pieces of glass just above the collector lens that I had presumed were the IR / UV filter. Am I wrong?

My most immediate concern is image size. I need to reduce it by a factor of 2.4 but am not sure what type of lens I need or where to put it. I'm thinking plano / convex on top of the triplet but what focal length? I did a search of the forum and came up empty handed. Surplus shed has good lenses for a good price but I don't know what to ask for. Probably getting too far off subject for this thread though, unless this thread is open to any Elmo problem.

Re: Is it soup yet?

mizterwizard said:

Perhaps what I need is an eliptical with the bulb relocated at the bottom focus and the upper focus at the focal center of the condenser lens. That would be a bigger project but I think the improvement would be worth it. Now where do I find a suitable eliptical reflector.

From what I understand you can't use an eliptical reflector with a double ended bulb. however they do make single ended 575w HMI bulbs, I assume that they would work if you got a base for them with our current ballasts (somone correct me if I'm wrong). But I also can't imagine sticking a 575w inside an elipitcal reflector, it would get damn hot, but I think that's how the 3M 9850 works.

I would like to know for sure if the mirror is dichroic. If it is, other arangements would have to be made to filter the light. There are two pieces of glass just above the collector lens that I had presumed were the IR / UV filter. Am I wrong?

Yes I'm pretty sure It's IR/UV glass, I got the same thing in my dukane 670, except the glass isn't split like it is for the elmo 305SD.

For your last question about the image size I have no Idea what to do besides getting a long throw lens like the 700+ ones and a front fresnel to match it. I messed around today trying to shrink my image with an condensor I have lying around and it just blurs the image horribly.

maybe another round of group buy?

I have seen increasing demanding for the bulb recently. And since I might buy a 6.3"-XGA LCD panel from YWH in next few weeks, so I can set up a group buy for this HMI bulb again. I don't need the bulb anymore since I sold my OHP and turned to full costumized case.

If the LCD deal goes through I will let YWH buy bunch of bulbs for me too. you can email or PM me. I will let all know if it's going to happen in next two weeks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.