Cheap simple class D amp circuit to build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
guitar_joe said:
yes generally speaking the faster the switching freq the better.

However with faster switching frequency you need faster components, careful layout and such.

well this takes MORE into account... mainly CHOOSING the right MOSFETS....CORE/CAP for LC filter(best materials)...some faster transistors..... and PCB layout, should be compact AND minimize "EMI/RFI Radiation" :D

experiment is the best!!

:angel:

Hi

From what I know, going below 250k is not needed, even if for subs. I find that 250k freq. is very good ecause of lower output noise(what LC filter don't stops) and still has very high efficiency, way more then 90%. And best thing is you are not limited for sub use, you don't have to change anything to use it as full range.

Switching losses can be high =>400kHz, so you have to start thinking about that too

Thanks for the informative replies. I am indeed interested in using for sub, but may try it full range just to listen. I am thinking of using lm318 high speed opamp and lm319 fast comparator. They are cheaper than the lt parts in the schematic. Should those parts suffice in this circuit?

Read carefully all posts. I'm using LM311 for comparator; and IRF530/IRF9530N as output mosfets.
Schematics shows LT1011 only because there is no LM311 in LTSWCad.
Diodes 1N750 are 4V7 zeners.

Here is better schematic.

Attachments

• damp update.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,294
lumanauw said:
I tried a simple trick to make squarewave output from the totem pole (Q1-Q2) more "square". Divide R4 (2k2) into 2 x 1kohm, then put bootstrap capacitor 100nF from junction of emitors of Q1-Q2 to the junction of this new 1k resistors.

I tried this too. 100n is low value. It should be 470n or more. Q1-Q2 output is much better, but current trough zeners is much higher ( maybe too much for them ). Also there is a little cross conduction, so this might be bad idea.

@RX5
I'm using 120VA transformer ( caps are 4700uf ).

m-tech said:

I tried this too. 100n is low value. It should be 470n or more. Q1-Q2 output is much better, but current trough zeners is much higher ( maybe too much for them ). Also there is a little cross conduction, so this might be bad idea.

@RX5
I'm using 120VA transformer ( caps are 4700uf ).

done any actual measurement lately??

whats your DC offset @ speaker terminals?? mine is around 400mV @ 70mA(@6 ohm speaker)

I know it' old thread...

After few weeks amp still working.
Today I finished new version of amp - all smd components ( single sided pcb ). Same component values as first version, except driver transistors. It's powered from same supply as first version, but have some problems.

1. Amp won't start oscillating at power up ! It powers up when short -9V ( supplied via 7909 ) to ground ! :cannotbe:
2. IRF530 runs warm, IRF9530N is warmer. Driver transistors ( BCP53 and BCP56 ) are hot ( 60C - is this too much ).

Where is the problem ? I have no scope right now, so can't see any waveforms.

:smash:

m-tech said:
Maybe for subwoofer amp ? Lower osc frequency means lower switching losses.
But this is not high power amp, and losses are quite low. My prototype running at +-35V, 4ohm load; without heatsink.
There is no need for lowering osc frequency.

Hi,

I'm considering to build this amp just for experiment, but is interesting to know before:

- The output power of this amp
- If there is possible to run at higher voltage PSU and increase the power
- How it really sounds?
- Can I use a switching power supply?
- Is possible to feed two channels with the same PSU without interference between the channels?

Thank you very much!!!
i'm a newbie on classD amps...
:D

I built a ucd-style amp using capacitive coupling to the output stage right back when I first saw the ucd design. It is possible for the design not to start oscillating as there is no dc path through the amp. You can add an NPN and a PNP transistor in a push-pull common-base configuration in parallel with the capacitors to ensure it will always oscillate.

I know it' old thread...

After few weeks amp still working.
Today I finished new version of amp - all smd components ( single sided pcb ). Same component values as first version, except driver transistors. It's powered from same supply as first version, but have some problems.

1. Amp won't start oscillating at power up ! It powers up when short -9V ( supplied via 7909 ) to ground ! :cannotbe:
2. IRF530 runs warm, IRF9530N is warmer. Driver transistors ( BCP53 and BCP56 ) are hot ( 60C - is this too much ).

Where is the problem ? I have no scope right now, so can't see any waveforms.

:smash:

was that the problem with new layout? or smd that leads problem for this frequency and voltage. would snubber recommended for IRF Mosfets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.