Cheap and FAST OB, Literally

Qts is less than that used in the SXD and a larger Xmax, Fs lower... so I thought it would be ok. For about $10 each with the summer sale, seemed like a good candidate...

Yeah, would love to use the RS225 but if I go with 5 pairs, that's 20 drivers, or nearly $2000. 20 of the CES driver would be $200...

This would be a good choice Perceval. Bought 16 pcs to test. Prelim test on 1 woofer, sound very clear which is good news for me.
Brand is ACR big name in Indo for Pro Audio. Dirt cheap & incase your wondering they are the manufacturer behind SB Acoustics.
Hopefully you guys can find a source of supply at your end to test.

Cheers

Attachments

• ACR 3MN0455-00-A-R0-MN-CURVE-858 (2) (2).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
Cool!
I'm not too far being in Taiwan. :)
Their FR looks a lot like most SBA FR too. Makes sense that they are the same manufacture.
There was a rumor that the good stuff from Dayton was coming from Usher in Taiwan. I called them multiple times, but they never acknowledged it. Too bad. I would've loved to pick some drivers right off the assembly line! :)

Aside from the small magnet & cheap press steel frame which is tweakable, rest is still SB standard.

Attachments

• 20230805_105815.jpg
    20230805_105815.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230805_105802.jpg
    20230805_105802.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230805_105720.jpg
    20230805_105720.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 70
Nice drivers. Are those foam or cloth surrounds?
You asking about the ACR woofers ? They look like foam but feels rubbery unlike foam surrounds. From info woofer cone is waterpoof so I assume
that the surrounds could be a hybrid foam rubber type, that is if there's such a material. lol Anyway thery're so so cheap buying more to keep as spare
won't even hurt the pocket, $9 a pc including shipping to me

Has anyone here played around with SLOB subwoofers? Tomorrow a kind DIYer is gifting me 4 SD270A-88's, and I was thinking they would be perfect for SLOB subs. I know there are ripole subwoofers, which are similar. As far as I can tell the only thing that keeps X's SLOB's from being ripoles is that the back waves aren't slot loaded as well? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept of ripoles

I'd start off just making one with the 4 I'm getting for free, but if it works out the idea would be to make another, and use them as bases for a modular full range speaker pair (DSP, at least for the subs)

This has always been one of my favorite prototypes built in cardboard or foamcore. It was so good I made a note to myself to revisit it one day in wood. It was one of those designs that has such a clear midrange thanks to being an open baffle and deep bass that had some punch when you are nearby but doesn’t compress the room. I have recently been working with a local cabinet maker to help me realize the the next generation in wood. I’m increasing the woofers to 8x 6.5in per speaker, and making it a 3 way with a high sensitivity midbass (5FE100 or 6FE100) and a planar dipole tweeter (GRS) with a waveguide. The woofers are basic polycone or papercone low cost units for now. Fancy ones are not needed as I recall how good they sounded with $5 blowout woofers.

The construction will use mostly 3/4in BB ply for the baffle and 1/2in BB ply for the U-wings and stacked 3/4in MDF for the woofer manifold chamber. The 2-way part will be on a separate board that is interchangeable so that I can test out various different drivers on top easily. I plan to develop a passive crossover.

Construction is almost completed and I should have the speaker in hand in a few days. Right now it is still at the workshop. It’s looking very nice thanks to the superb skills of my cabinet maker, Doug. A big hats off to you Doug!

Woofer manifold made from stacked MDF:
View attachment 1035591

Manifolds glued to baffle:
View attachment 1035592
Preparing to install the wings: View attachment 1035595

View attachment 1035606
Baffles with cutouts for replaceable 2-way top driver plates:
View attachment 1035596

Detail of how baffle plates are held in place from the back:
View attachment 1035597

Woofers are rear mounted and tweeter waveguide is front mounted. Woofer bezels are rather industrial “pro audio” so look better rear mounted. Also, the non-circular bezels would have made front flush mount rebates a real pain. A round over on the front lip is used to provide a smoother look and reduce diffraction to the extent possible:
View attachment 1035598

Will probably use some bracing on the wings:
View attachment 1035600

This is going to be a fun speaker to develop the crossover for.
What driver characteristics are you using to select drivers for slot loading?