Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
As I said, finished version shouldn't be more than $150. But untill I get a proper quote, I can't really tell. As to female RCAs I like CTFA short, but there is nothing to stop you from using GRFA ( which are actually closer to what I'm using in all my mainstreem projects).

CCBPS is a good choice for the binding post. All holes will be predrilled in a finished version of a chassis and 0.75" distance on 0.50" holes will be a standard.

Aren't the CTFA 3/8" in diameter for the mounting holes, and the GRFA 7/16"?

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
You are probably right, but there is nothing to stop you from using smaller RCAs in bigger holes.;)

Very true. I did this for the chassis that I am currently using for my gainclone. I made all the rear holes 7/16" because I was using the Cardas ones on mine. I made an identical chassis for my friend who used the Dayton Audio ones (almost identical to the CTFA), and realized that they fit loose. I just wanted to bring up the consideration of the sizes in case you designed for the CTFA and someone wanted to use the GRFA.

--
Brian

Actually I prefer smaler RCAs and this is what I'm using here. Those are not even GRFA, but some Chinese made, but in my experience they perform pretty well.

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,420
Joined 2002
Peter,

Are you going to allow for the option of only choosing having one set of RCAs mounted on the back of your chassis, or will they all be drilled for 3 pairs?

Also, would it be possible for you to provide the option of purchasing both the IEC connector, and the rca jacks from you to go along with the chassis?

Where are you putting the AC fuse?

--
Brian

that is looking so sweet!

Peter, it looks like we're up to 20 orders on the WIKI...

is the project do-able at this number? Or were you maybe expecting more?

I'm tempted to buy the Cardas binding post you are using... are
they good for spades only?

be careful, or you may be giving your "real" amps a run for their money! ;)

m.
----------------------------------------
posting from beutiful sunny Clearwater, FL
(it's gorgeous here today) :angel:

Peter,

Looking very good.

But I can't be the only one nervous about the mains wiring running right next to the volume attenuator. How about routing the mains up the middle, underneath the plate that holds the amp boards? Since that plate is at earth ground, should provide excellent shielding.

Newbie here...I've been reading this thread along with the group-order thread, and I was curious: after everything's been bought, what is a rough total price? $55 for the GC kit, $150 for the chassis, etc.

This would be my first foray into DIY and a "simple" kit seems like it would be a good choice, but I'm also in the midst of completely upgrading my system, so I'm worried about my finances...how long will the group-buy and the chassis be available?

Sorry about the simple questions, but I'm very worried about first attempts at anything, especially since this would put off my Anthem MCA5 purchase, which I could get at cost. Compared to that level of amps, Anthem, Adcom, (even Proceed or Lexicon) how would something like this sound? I'm too young to have been around other DIY-ers enough to have heard anything in real life. :(

Thanks guys :)

The amp is done and it's playing. No problems at all, no hum or noise.

I'm very satisfied with the sound quality and actually I didn't expect it to be so good. It has very "organic" sound without any traces of brightness. I partly suspect this is due to an insolated chip case that I used here. PS features 1,500/50 Panasonic FC caps. Will do more comparisons tomorrow. I also didn't observe any ill effect of placing top cover, but I used only 2 screws;) And those Cards binding posts are very practical, will stay with them from now on.

One complaint that I have is with regards to this Taiwanese volume switcher. Soundwise it seems to be OK, without any obvious sonic signature, but it makes terrible noise when switching: pops and cracks in both channel. It is simply unacceptable, unless of course, you can live with it. I'll be probably looking for dofferent solution. Too bad, as it seemed like a good product.

Attachments

• amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,477
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.