Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ask for forgiveness in advance for any typos or syntax errors...I'm very tired.

It seems that everything around me is trying to stop me from participating in this group order thing. I wanted to book a few days off work and dedicate that time to making knobs for the group order in the event these knobs were chosen. Before I could even warn my boss of the possibility, two people in my department were fired, I got overtime instead.
Today I headed out to the shop to see how long it takes me to make a knob when applying all possible shortcuts, I tried to make six knobs and divide the total time...In five hours I was able to have four, almost finished. I just can't break the 1 hour barrier. The five hours does not include the multitude of interruptions, tool brakage, and human error that kept plaguing me.
In this light I, very regretably, have to pull my bid for the group order. It's just not possible for me to get enough knobs made in a reasonable amount of time. I really wanted to be a part of this thing. I'm pretty bummed out about it. It all seemed to work out in my head and on paper(you'd think I would've learned that by now) but it just takes so long to even rough turn the aluminum on my ancient lathe and to fit the wood inserts (i'm a perfectionist when it comes to details (note to self: ever hear of a perfectionist that didn't pay attention to detail?)).
I had a talk with a close friend that works at a local machine shop about having him rough turn the knobs for me, and I would satin finish the knob cylinders and make the wood inserts while the cylinders were being anodized(same shop) but the lead time would be long because they are swamped. Going to another machine shop would just not be cost effective (it seems that machining is extremely overpriced in Saskatoon).
I will continue making custom knobs for interested DIY'ers, as posted on the "trading post", but I just cannot handle relatively huge orders like 50. This way I'll be able to take my time to make sure each piece get's the attention it deserves. I will also keep looking for solutions to this problem so maybe I can be prepared for the next time something like this comes up.
Next time I'll first prove to myself that I can do whatever I want to do, before, possibly, getting other's hopes up. Again, I'm sorry guys.

Illusus knob

Here's a quick'n'dirty rendering ...

Attachments

• illususknob.jpg
    illususknob.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,029
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like the knob shape. Hmmmmm Maybe you could model some variations on the theme with brushed aluminum surface and a slot type indicator? Also maybe different proportions between the flattened and cylindrical part- overall it looks a bit long-especially the flattened part? Not to be demanding or anything:D :eek:

just another, wooden, knob

these were made for a project (zen lite) I finished last year. I have a few left.
Material Brazilian Rosewood (if i can remember that far back)

Again the input on wooden knobs surprises me, as many other things do here in this forum ......
because .....
I faced from day one on a problem, namely I had to bore out the shaft hole and put an aluminum piece of tubing inside, fitting around the potshaft otherwise the hole would become too wide! Even very hard wood would not be able to have the knob hold it's tightness around the shaft!

You can see the size next to a bridge rect.
and the back side hollowed to cover the thin nut from a pot.
Also you will notice the thin hole on the side, I use spring pins (I do not remember the correct english word for it=they are made out of metal, and you need to squeeze the pin together in order to have it fit inside a hole)

Attachments

• image51.bmp.jpg
    image51.bmp.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 595
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.