CD player vs. computer soundcard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did someone mention Apple Lossless?

planet10 said:

Based on my current experiment you'd only need 600 GB of disk for that (apple Lossless), 2 300 GB disk would do...

dave

My music collection resides on an (almost full) 250G Lacie firewire drive in Apple "lossless" format. This format sounds totally transparent to me. Quality playback is through an external M-Audio DAC in one location, and Apple Airtunes in another. Two other (non-quality) playback stations exist using soundcards. The system has been up and reliable for 7 months now.

I could never get a reliable system working under Window$. It would always "hickup" at some time of the day or night, causing a disturbance - I hate discontinuities :( This was with various hardware and software combinations tried over nearly 2 years.

for servers unix/linux IS the way to go it seems, i my self am currently learning to use *nix myself, i would love to get a freebsd or a apple xserve/raid for a file server. i have been told that apple streaming software is hard to beat, but i have no experience with it. right now im using winXP, win2kpro, macOS 8.6, and learning/messing with osX. hopefully next year ill be able to get a nice new g5, and an athlon 64fx something...

Sid Thanks for the cosmisserations - they are apreciated - The kitty was the worst of the lot. I still have another though which has been a great consolation. Wow Planet - A Dozen - that must be a madhouse. I cannot resist these little guys - both of the ones we got were strays that just pitched up. Somebodies gotta look after em.

I too have an Nforce 2 board (Asus a7n8x-D) in my machine. I have subsequently replaced the stereo sound function on the machine with an EMU 1212m. Very nice sound - but VERY expensive. I still use the nforce for 5.1 though but it is so much more noisy than the EMU. In fact the EMU has less noise than the stand alone CD players I have observed. Surprising but in my case true.

Some other options you may want to consider are EMU 0404 which some people prefer to the 1212m. I have heard that the Chaintech AV 710 is also a good card for simple stereo (It uses a Wolfeson DAC for 2 of the 6 channels). It is also only 25 Dollars so for those on a budget....

Checkout Head-fi.org in the "computers as source" section for info on these cards.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Did someone mention Apple Lossless?

dhaen said:
My music collection resides on an (almost full) 250G Lacie firewire drive in Apple "lossless" format. This format sounds totally transparent to me. Quality playback is through an external M-Audio DAC in one location, and Apple Airtunes in another. Two other (non-quality) playback stations exist using soundcards. The system has been up and reliable for 7 months now.

Bodes well for my system.... The LaCie drives are nice... just delivered a pair of those to a client last week (an even & odd drive for backup)

dave

Byrd said:
Sid Thanks for the cosmisserations - they are apreciated - The kitty was the worst of the lot. I still have another though which has been a great consolation. Wow Planet - A Dozen - that must be a madhouse. I cannot resist these little guys - both of the ones we got were strays that just pitched up. Somebodies gotta look after em.

I too have an Nforce 2 board (Asus a7n8x-D) in my machine. I have subsequently replaced the stereo sound function on the machine with an EMU 1212m. Very nice sound - but VERY expensive. I still use the nforce for 5.1 though but it is so much more noisy than the EMU. In fact the EMU has less noise than the stand alone CD players I have observed. Surprising but in my case true.

Some other options you may want to consider are EMU 0404 which some people prefer to the 1212m. I have heard that the Chaintech AV 710 is also a good card for simple stereo (It uses a Wolfeson DAC for 2 of the 6 channels). It is also only 25 Dollars so for those on a budget....

Checkout Head-fi.org in the "computers as source" section for info on these cards.
your wecome...

all my cats were at somepoint rescues as well.

my mobo is a shuttle mn31/n mATX, its a nice board...
what im looking to do with a sound card is build a P4 mini itx HTPC and use primarily the digital out of tha card for all sound to the system, so i must chose wisely, just to keep it simple... ill give the EMU cards a look see.

thanks for the link... bed time later...

well i think i figured out were i went wrong... when apple released itunes w/ the music store, the files one downloads are in aac with a drm scheme right? well i also remember they mentioned apple lossless some were or some time, well that is were i got mixed up. i thought they were talking about aac as apple lossless, but i did some digging and now im informed. as in i just put 2 + 3 and got 4 instead of 5, thats all(damb ADHD)... i just wasn't paying close enough attention as i should have, for that im sorry.

so in conclusion, aac ia lossy, apple lossless is a new animal, and im sticking to mp3's till something better is more widely supported that is not proprietary, like wma or alac or what not... so later

*goes and bangs head against wall*

Hey Sid

No problem - EVERYBODY makes mistakes - and those that can admit to that are gewd by me. I am sorry I jumped all over you - I shouldn't have.

The reason - and it is not an excuse - is that over the past few days I have been having a rangle with a damn obnoxious scum bag in another thread - and I mistakenly assumed the whole board was going pear shaped (downhill).

I will do my best to never judge anybody on this board based on my experiences with others. :eek:

Byrd said:
Hey Sid

No problem - EVERYBODY makes mistakes - and those that can admit to that are gewd by me. I am sorry I jumped all over you - I shouldn't have.

The reason - and it is not an excuse - is that over the past few days I have been having a rangle with a damn obnoxious scum bag in another thread - and I mistakenly assumed the whole board was going pear shaped (downhill).

I will do my best to never judge anybody on this board based on my experiences with others. :eek:

ehh... its cool, one of the things about me is if you point it out and i am wrong i'll look in to it, and if i am well, i'll admit it... its really no big deal, i guess its a respect thing. the way i see it if you could admit your wrong about some thing no matter what it is or the cause, you get more respect from me. i quess its how i was raised.
in your origenal post i could sence you were irritated about something, so i could understand, it happens to the best of us. i hope we can have some great discussions in the future, from the looks of your site, and some past threads looks so... oh and who and what thread? may i ask?...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey youyoung21147, how is your quest for an audio card coming? if you want, let us know what kind of hardware and software you got and we could probably put up some great ideas...

5th element said:
Depending on what you actually want to do with the cards there is a chance that creatives standard live card might be better value.

All creative cards resample the data stream to 16/48 before sending the 0's and 1's to the DSP chip. I think there might be a DSP bypass if you use the KX drivers on the Audigy2 but im not sure.

With the KX drivers installed you'd be hard pressed not to want to use something like a notch filter to EQ out a room node after hearing what benafits it can have on the sound, so for me the A2 would have no real advantage over a value card.

MMmmm that's not nice this resampling ! 44,1khz->48khz cannot be synchronized ! That's purely maths !
Thanks for this information, because I'm not about to buy a craetive soundcard now !! :hot:

Then, I don't have any idea for an external soundcard :confused:

Concerning DAC, is it possible to use one on a computer ?

For the compression, you all convinced me to try lossless formats. FLAC seems quit interesting !

Byrd said:

I second the 0404, infact, I would hesitate to recommend the AV710 when you can get an 0404 for not that much more.
I'm actually on my 3rd 0404, the first one I modded and sold, the second I modded and had some problems with dc offset, and it seems to have shorted out while in storage. There does seem to be quite a bit of variation in how they sound, as the first was much punchier and seemed more detailed than the other two, the second I think was defective, as it had almost no low end and could be extremely bright. The current one is still burning in, but it sounds similar to the first, just not as punchy.

evilentity said:

I second the 0404, infact, I would hesitate to recommend the AV710 when you can get an 0404 for not that much more.
I'm actually on my 3rd 0404, the first one I modded and sold, the second I modded and had some problems with dc offset, and it seems to have shorted out while in storage. There does seem to be quite a bit of variation in how they sound, as the first was much punchier and seemed more detailed than the other two, the second I think was defective, as it had almost no low end and could be extremely bright. The current one is still burning in, but it sounds similar to the first, just not as punchy.

Lol - it's a jedi mind trick played by EMU - YODA's brother ;)

Thanks for all these suggestions but I'm unfortunately unable to use a PCI soundcard ! I only have a laptop computer !

That's all my problem :bawling:

If it was possible to get an external rack able to convert PCI -> USB I'd be very interested but I never saw any at this time :(

Concerning the Creative soundcards, is it possible to use Foobar resampler at 88200Hz to bypass hardware 44,1 -> 48 resampling or will it cause the same problem, hardware resampling 88200 -> 96000 ?

Hey I found my soundcard !

It is the M-Audio Transit 24/96
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

I find it quite expensive regarding to its features ( 100$ for HD stereo, no 5.1 and no mic in) but it is a more audiophile (not as much as audiophile USB) and serious product than Creative products : it supports ASIO, it works at all the common sample rates w/o resampling, including 88200Hz, it has a nice SNR and a review measured precisely the audio parameters such as bandwidth : all the results are "excellent".

Has anyone tried it ?

Evilentity : we posted together so I didn't see your post : this soundcard is beautiful but really too expensive for me. What a shame :bawling:

youyoung21147 said:

I find it quite expensive regarding to its features ( 100$ for HD stereo, no 5.1 and no mic in) but it is a more audiophile (not as much as audiophile USB) and serious product than Creative products : it supports ASIO, it works at all the common sample rates w/o resampling, including 88200Hz, it has a nice SNR and a review measured precisely the audio parameters such as bandwidth : all the results are "excellent".

Has anyone tried it ?

Evilentity : we posted together so I didn't see your post : this soundcard is beautiful but really too expensive for me. What a shame :bawling:

I've never used the transit, but many people here and on head-fi.org have. It should be okay, but if you can stretch your budget, the indigo should be a lot better, as would the E-MU's if you had a desktop.

youyoung21147 said:

Why did you get that instead of the M-Audio Sonica Theater? $20 more would have gotten you 7.1 and line in. It's like a beefier Transit.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SonicaTheater-main.html

A pretty good value considering how poor quality the Audigy 2 NX is.

You can get it here for about $80. If I weren't getting a Revolution 5.1, I'd consider the Sonica Theater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.