CD player vs. computer soundcard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BlackDog said:

My 2 cents:

You only want to Rip & Encode your Music once, especially if you have a large CD collection. (I'm guessing that most people here do.) If your music will only ever live on a PC, then fine use whatever format you like that satifies your taste for quality or storage space. On the other hand, if you take your music with you on a personal player, or in the car, or if you want to share it (naughty), then MP3 is the obvious choice. - WMA is being supported more now, but MP3 is the defacto standard.

the defacto standard it is...

Personally, I didn't bother with compression until I realised that my toddler son was destoying my CD collection.:bawling:
ouch that sucks... this is why i stream over the network. so ppl (including kids) dont mess with my cd's.

Foobar 2000 is the best player software, unless you prefer your player to look better than it sounds - it also uses about 1/3 of the CPU time than Winamp...
ive been using winamp since '98 thats all ive used. i have tried a few other players and didnt like them, in the age of multi gigahertz cpus it doesnt really matter how much cpu cycles the player uses unless it is noticable, but i have not used foobar2000, and will give it a try. ive also have been reading about the wild plugins for that program as well, that also has sparked my interest...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
scott_jcp said:
use one of the host of new compression formats. Perhaps the best is Apple's .aac (offered freely with iTunes, perhaps the most intuitive music library app available) (which is .mp4 btw), though both Apple (available on PC through iTunes) and WMP have a lossless filetype that will give you a far higher sample rate than you can hear.

I'm just in the process of ripping all my CDs into Apple Lossless on a donated iMac. I'll use iTunes. The only cash expense will be a Xitel USB DAC -- total cost well under $100 CAD. I'm eagar to see how it will sound (my old Denon DVD player is only a passable CD player).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Byrd said:
AAC IS lossy!

I'll say... i attended one of Dolby's 1st demos of AAC at their specially builtin-hoise threatre on an AES convention tour... the difference between it and the original was clearly audible.

As to MP3s, i feel that CDs are already bad enuff with their low rez digital extraction of analog so why throw away more... HD space is cheap. Granted my CD collection is not that large (i wouldn't even think of trying to put my vinyl on the puter). And if i ever get a portable player, i'll spring for an iPod and transfer the lossless to it...

dave

sid you said
data cannot be lost do to data corruption
You have now retracted this and agree that the most archival can do is inform you that data has been lost?

It is no doubt better to use lossless compression such as FLAC to store music - however MP3 offers a good compromise fo quality versus size. I would not like an entire forum to be mislead by some rather rash statements and to never try properly encoded MP3. It is always up to the individual user as to what suits her / him.

what the hell do you think the little 1's and 0's on a cd, harddrive, or any DIGITAL media is? DATA, which in turn is then decoded to music or video or what ever...

That was the point I had attempted to make - that the listener is listening to the, "decoded" as you put it, music. This is ofcourse as long as the listener is not some kind of binary being :D . From the article which I posted a link to (A pretty convincing article IMHO) it can be seen that most people cannot hear the difference. The credentials of the individuals that took part in the test were I believe applicable to the domain being dealt with.

everytime i encoded mp3's using vbr
Can I ask what ripper / encoder / encoder settings brought you to this conclusion because it does make a large difference to the final audible result.

Planet - Nice looking kitty. Is it her / him that brings the luck of the free iMacs? :D I would really like to hear your impressions of the DAC when you get it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Byrd said:
Planet - Nice looking kitty. Is it her / him that brings the luck of the free iMacs? :D I would really like to hear your impressions of the DAC when you get it.

Patricia.... a very nice kat... the Macs thou come from being in the business for so long. The iMac wasn't really free. i was delivering & setting up a newer iMac for one of my Bishop clients and instead of paying me for the setup, just gave me his old imac. I scrounged a few other bits (RAM & a larger HD) and there i was.

People are often giving me old Macs, which i resurrect, use for parts, or just recycle*... i'm always trying to find people to give them away to.

* some monitors in particular have all sorts of useful bits -- even litz wire for winding inductors.

My living room has just recently been invaded by 14 other iMacs that i am processing for a charity case... refurbing, making work & shipping out to those who'd like a nice internet 'puter for real cheap ($100-$175 CAD). The proceeds should buy a laptop for the charity.

dave

Planet - I cannot agree with you more ITO vinyl

Mmmmmm Vinyl - No Digital source will ever compare. Oneday somebody is going to invent the ultimate "infinite sample rate" medium - it will be called vinyl :D

Unfortunately my collection is just under 2000 Albums - So some compression was, for me, necessary. I must say though that I cannot really hear any difference between ripped CD and the MP3's compressed with Lame. I have however heard some other compressors and they are admitedly terrible.

Vinyl compared to "digitalised vinyl" - Lets not kid ourselves :spin:

You have now retracted this and agree that the most archival can do is inform you that data has been lost?
miss information... it happens, but no matter, some were i read something and i probibly got info mix up, there is like a million file formats for sound anyway. besides i think we can all agree that data corruption and loss is bad, a lot depends on the software or the way data is handled, poorly coded software is a good example.
oh, and i would have cought my mistake and made a correction to my statement, i just didnt do it fast enough...

I would not like an entire forum to be mislead by some rather rash statements and to never try properly encoded MP3. It is always up to the individual user as to what suits her / him.
i dont think the "entire forum" would have been mislead... you make it sound as every user @ diyaudio was going to take what i said to the word, and do what you think is all wrong. that is not my intent. but what ever...

That was the point I had attempted to make - that the listener is listening to the, "decoded" as you put it, music. This is ofcourse as long as the listener is not some kind of binary being :D . From the article which I posted a link to (A pretty convincing article IMHO) it can be seen that most people cannot hear the difference. .
that is true most cant here the difference, half my family is a good example,my dad, i hate his audio system, it would put most of you in to convulsions, to him it sounds great...

Can I ask what ripper / encoder / encoder settings brought you to this conclusion because it does make a large difference to the final audible result.
[/B]

the ripper/encoder i use is this:http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

the codec i use is lame, the settings i dont remember, i do remember that i tried like 8 different settings though.

right know i encode at 196kbps on the simple notion that with the amount of background noise in my computer room, i couldn't here any details anyway, but i guess thats what my headphones are for.

oh, and any mp3 that works is a properly encoded mp3 as long as there are no pops, clicks, hisses,ect IMHO...

LOL - After spending all my money on those albums - there is not much money left for the PC equipment.

Also had a heck of a last Month with the bills - doubt it could be too much worse
1. My Kitty had to be put to sleep. ( http://byrd.fotopic.net )
2. My Car blew up
3. My Mom's car blew Up
4. My Notebook became infested with a nasty virus - the day before I had to present a new system development.
5. My TV Blew Up
6. My drives on my main machine crashed
7. My Grandad had to have his leg amputated.

So I am well out of pocket and good cheer now.

I like the grape Mac. Quite Ironic - if it was not intended. Grape = Vineyard = The Lords Vineyard :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sid216 said:
f any of your old macs are 68k's, you could probibly make a few bucks on ebay.

the quadra 840av, they make great HDD recorders, system 7.1 or system 8.0 and a prog called coaster, good stuff...

flogged off all of my Color Classics.... still have a souped up Centris 650 on my desk (i still haven't used a spreadsheet that will keep up with Trapeze (last release 1988 -- it was FAR ahead of its time), and a souped up SE/30 under my desk. I might have a few Quadra 700s, and a whack of macPluses. Stlll got my original 128 (althou the only thing original is the outer plastics -- with upgrades that one was a $23,000 computer....)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Byrd said:
. My Notebook became infested with a nasty virus - the day before I had to present a new system development.

Not much experience with those... they are just foriegn garbage to clean off my desktop or out of my attachments folder.

I like the grape Mac. Quite Ironic - if it was not intended. Grape = Vineyard = The Lords Vineyard :D

And the colour of the official robes they wear.

dave

I think properly encoded is subjective. The definition of properly is "Strictly following rules or conventions" and my set of rules and conventions are different to yours

I urge you to try and use EAC pb 0.4 (With Secure mode - ensures no pops clicks etc) with Lame -- alt standard (+- 200Kbps) or --alt extreme or --alt insane

I noticed a big difference between the alt set of presets and ordinary VBR or CBR encoding.

Playback is also very important. Foobar allows the highest quality playback of MP3, and if you have a Creative Live card it allows you to enable foobar (much better than creatives method) 44.1 to 48Kbps resampling.

Byrd said:
LOL - After spending all my money on those albums - there is not much money left for the PC equipment.

Also had a heck of a last Month with the bills - doubt it could be too much worse
1. My Kitty had to be put to sleep. ( http://byrd.fotopic.net )
2. My Car blew up
3. My Mom's car blew Up
4. My Notebook became infested with a nasty virus - the day before I had to present a new system development.
5. My TV Blew Up
6. My drives on my main machine crashed
7. My Grandad had to have his leg amputated.

So I am well out of pocket and good cheer now.

that is quite a last month...
1. i have 4 cats my self, and i love them to death, i can't imagine how you feel...
2 and 3. anrn't cars a pain in the butt... my truck is about to go any day now... cant wait.
4. that is never good, what AV software do you use. i have been fortunate to not have gotten a virus yet, i use 2 firewalls, nortonAV, and a few other progs on my systems to combate this, it also helps that my isp scans email on there servers.
5. i have no comment...
6. once the ntfs mft got corrupted on my 250gig storage drive and the recovery was nuts, i used get data back for ntfs by runtime software and got about 90%+ recovory. i was lucky...
7. sorry to here this, even though ive never meet you or your grandad, i wish you all the best for your recovery.

Byrd said:
I think properly encoded is subjective. The definition of properly is "Strictly following rules or conventions" and my set of rules and conventions are different to yours

true... i totally agree.

I urge you to try and use EAC pb 0.4 (With Secure mode - ensures no pops clicks etc) with Lame -- alt standard (+- 200Kbps) or --alt extreme or --alt insane

I noticed a big difference between the alt set of presets and ordinary VBR or CBR encoding.
i will check this out, cant hurt to try a different program. got a link?

Playback is also very important. Foobar allows the highest quality playback of MP3, and if you have a Creative Live card it allows you to enable foobar (much better than creatives method) 44.1 to 48Kbps resampling.
i dont have a creative sound card, i got nforce2 with soundstorm its alright, i want an maudio card though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.