Castle Microtower Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If one were to consider an "upgrade" of sorts for EL70 microtowers... Is it still true with the A7.3 (as I read the case to be with the original A7) that the only modification needed for the box would be to fit the drivers? To test the A7.3's, would one be able to attach temporary mounting baffles to accommodate the wider A7.3 bezel? What about the 7P? I guess the internal braces would no longer fit...
I probably would not do so, but it's an idea others might be considering, since the A7.3s are current, and EL70s no longer available.

Last edited:
If one were to consider an "upgrade" of sorts for EL70 microtowers... Is it still true with the A7.3 (as I read the case to be with the original A7) that the only modification needed for the box would be to fit the drivers? To test the A7.3's, would one be able to attach temporary mounting baffles to accommodate the wider A7.3 bezel? What about the 7P? I guess the internal braces would no longer fit...
I probably would not do so, but it's an idea others might be considering, since the A7.3s are current, and EL70s no longer available.

This was one of the questions I had at the start as well. According to Dave only two mods are needed.

First of all the larger driver cutout.

Secondly a different port length (2 x 1.875).

This is the other reason I made a removable base. It makes for an easy port swap down the line if I want to go that way. Obviously redoing the driver cutouts is trickier. This build was in fact just a trial run to test the design but I got a little carried away. The aim is to create the same design with tilt back of cabinet and forward tilt of top but in a curved cabinet using A7.3s... It will be a long while before the wife gives me a green light for that one though.

I finished the first cab last night and I am very impressed. I have already run the drivers for 100+ hours from a small T amp and drivers just sat on a bench so hopefully a fair way through the driver run in. I am only listening in mono at the moment and still the sound is a massive step up from current speakers. Very noticeable. Looking forward to the stereo pair.

Cabinet that is finished is likely over damped. I have left the other with no fill below drivers so it will be interesting to hear the difference and start playing with fill levels.

Andy - I never played with fill levels on my 2 builds - just stuffed with Dave's WAGestimate of a diagonal piece of the 3" (unlined) Ultra Touch denim insulation.

It'll be interesting to monitor your findings on adjustments to fill levels.

Hi Chris, i'm no speaker expert. This is only my second build after a pair of Overnight Sensation MTMs. However, I have a strong musical background and will give you as much feedback on the differences I hear as I go through the process. It will be interesting because it looks like I will be moving from the two extremes towards the center. I had fully intended to do the same as you but Ultra Touch doesn't exist in the land down under!

Here are some pics of the final build for the first cabinet. Only tuning left to do now and the binding post/plate and drivers to attach to the second cab.

I hope you have enjoyed my rambling, I hope it helps other newbies such as myself so they can learn from some of my mistakes. I must say the general tone of support and help on this forum is fantastic. It has made a difference to me and I thank all those who have helped me along the journey. After this experience I am certain there will be many more rivers to follow!

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 91
Andy,

It's all come together very nicely be proud! The missus should be very happy with the new "functional" decorative items you have added to the household...

Once you get the stuffing adjusted, do some more listening and share some more listening impressions with the gang. :)

Hi Chris, i'm no speaker expert. This is only my second build after a pair of Overnight Sensation MTMs. However, I have a strong musical background and will give you as much feedback on the differences I hear as I go through the process. It will be interesting because it looks like I will be moving from the two extremes towards the center. I had fully intended to do the same as you but Ultra Touch doesn't exist in the land down under!
Andy - I am curious as to how the tuning went on these speakers. I finished a set a few weeks ago and initially thought they were a little boomy with some music. I stuffed them with some 3" thick wool insulation I was given, probably similar to your levels.

You did a beautiful job on these.

Regard
Steve

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well, these guys have well and truly settled into my living room and made themselves at home.

I began with one speaker completely un-stuffed through the body of the speaker although lined behind/around the driver as per the plans and the other speaker lined in the same way and stuffed as per the pictures earlier in the thread (i.e. very well stuffed). I left them both like this for quite some time so that the drivers were completely run in before I tried to tune them. I was quite surprised at the lack of difference between the sound of both. They are relatively close to the back wall so this may affect the sound a little. To my ear and without measurement tools i'd say there was little difference but the stuffed cabinet did sound a little tighter and less boomy. Marginal which surprised me. Perhaps this design is quite tolerant but I expected there to be a larger difference between the two extremes. I have stuffed both and am quite happy!

Now looking at the next project which may well be a centre channel for the microtowers, switching out the drivers in the microtowers for A7.3s and moving the CHR-70s into surround cabinets (upward firing halftowers with front firing port - need to look into any design changes needed for this - planet10, chrisb?). The other option is a pair of desktop speakers (eyeing up the uMarKen5.2) but this means waiting until the drivers become available in the new year.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.