cap value for 6X4 rectifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to come into this VERY late, and with something that is not unknown to boot - but to sum up:

Over the years I have mostly found that in correct designs of power supplies - meaning that nothing is overly over or under-sized - power transformer, rectifier and equipment to be driven - one ends up without much concern for ruining something.

If an adequate but not over-the-top power transformer is used, it will mostly have enough series impedance to cope with larger filter capacitors. One must remember that the impedance at mains frequency (not dc resistance) is the governing factor limiting the peak capacitor charging current, also that the total impedance includes both secondary and primary, though under load (thus damped). With an oscilloscope and small series resistor the peak current can easily be checked and compared to tube data. My experience was that hardly ever did I need an extra series resistor with the right transformer, rectifier, etc.

Then also, is there an earth-shattering reason for not using silicon diodes these days? Tube rectifiers were not used because of some snake-oil aura of being better; there simply were no semiconductor rectifiers then (except for a short span of seleniums - yuch!) For puritans, they are not in the signal path despite some pseudo-scientific utterances to the contrary; there is the point of a peak voltage before the amplifier heaters warm up, but then so is it with 5U4s. I am as much of a tube veteran as the next man, but I am also a practical man. A recent (very) high-end tube amplifier of mine contains its share of semiconductor regulators, safety circuits etc. (but not in the signal circuit proper). I have learnt to expect initial furrowed foreheads (what!!!), but after explanations folks had to admit that there was no way the performance could have been achieved only tube-wise.

To each his pleasure, but just thought that I would air this.

Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Johan,
My thoughts exactly, but I'm tired of saying it. There is also nothing wrong with an input capacitor sized in the 20 ~ 30 uF range.

Personally, the only reason I might use a tube rectifier in a new design is to deal with very high reverse voltages. That's it.

-Chris

Ach no SY man! You Moderators are spoil sports!:D

Somewhat off-thread, but let me try to rehabilitate myself at least to a degree:

In a semiconductor amp I make and sell, I "had" to also install a tone control defeat button - OK, it is the customer's money. At a certain demo, quite a number of times folks claimed to hear the difference between controls at zero, bypassed and not. Point was, the switch was not wired in .....

Now back to 6X4s.

Regards.

To be fair, I did the opposite, too- brought a stock-looking Dynaco PAS-2 (rusty, of course) to an Audio Research/Mark Levinson dealer. Inside, of course, was the circuit I was selling in those days, active regulation, passive RIAA, zero feedback, noise-optimized, blah, blah. The look on the salesman's face when we hooked it up and compared it to his expensive units was not a pretty one. The downside was that I couldn't convince them to sell my mods no matter how good they were... (to keep this slightly on topic, one part of the mod was getting rid of the 12X4 and adding a cathode follower where the rectifier used to be)

This was 25 years ago. I'm older now and get my kicks in different ways.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
I get my kicks with those guys (stereo salepeople) at every opportunity. It's part of their education.

Selling mods in a store will never be successful until you are already successful in your own right. Still, you are far better off on your own - direct. It is a no flyer for so many reasons. Ever see the mark up a store wants on a straight repair? They make far more than the service shop, never mind the tech. That's one reason they use hackers.

Hi Johan,
At a certain demo, quite a number of times folks claimed to hear the difference between controls at zero, bypassed and not. Point was, the switch was not wired in .....
Not at all surprising. Now what does that tell you? ;)

You guys realise that simply installing a tube in a solid state amp will boost it's sales. Witness Luxman LV-105 and the Carver C-19 (I think).

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.