cap value for 6X4 rectifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
alexmoose said:
Is there a good tube-based regulator that comes to mind? I see a good SS regulator on Gamie's Audio Lab

But I am trying to find something that allows for simple Point-to-Point soldering and I have heard great things about the 30h-50uf-30h-50uf with the preamp I am going to use

Why I deserve the continuative misspelling of my name? :bawling:

:D

Seriously, my webpage doesn't allow (for an unkown motive) the linking of images. You can link the webpage where there is the image: you're probably talking about this page.

That's the first schematic in the page: very basic Maida regulator. Could be improved.

This is a guess, will this work? sorry about the low quality, I made it in 20 minutes

Attachments

• regulator.gif
    regulator.gif
    3 KB · Views: 319
Hiya Chris,

anatech said:
Hi Geek,
Have a look at some 40's and 50's equipment. Those guys knew what they were doing. Sometimes it wasn't about cost.

-Chris

I just got this Kaiser of a power supply dropped on me from that era to checkout/fix. I agree!

burnedfingers said:

Easy solution.... Why not just call you Bob. Its easy to remember and easy to spell.:D

Yeah, bbo would be good name..... oooops, keyboard juxtiposition ;)

Any help yet? I want to be enlightened

Then it is a good idea to use a gas tube! Your schematic is almost inverted, you should start with raw DC then add filtering and then at the end you put the gas tube. The gas tube will improve the regulation so there is less need to use a choke so something like this is the normal connection:

Rectification > cap > resistor > gas tube > small cap, (max 0.1uF) this can in many cases be left out. The 2nd resistor must be calculated for the current draw which is current for the amplifier + current for the gas tube, the gas tube should carry 5 - 30, 35 or 40mA depending on the type, regulation gets bad if current is less than 5mA and you risk burning the gas tube in advance if current is too high.

Example: DC at the last cap 200V and you use a 0A2 which has a regulation voltage of 150V you should therefore drop 50V over the last resistor. Assume that the amplifier draws 20mA, then a suitablle current through the resistor is 35mA which leaves 15mA for the gas tube, the resistor value is then U/I or 50/35 ~ 1.43kohm. For higher voltages it is possible to connect several gas tubes in series.

Regards Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.